RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Huddersfield vs Wigan at Fartown 1981

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Sep 20 2010, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just goes to show it's in the culture of Wigan RLFC,nothings changed wink.gif

QUOTE (Wilderspoolmemories @ Sep 21 2010, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheap shot wigan.................some things never change! rolleyes.gif

Is it me, or is there a bit of an echo in here? rolleyes.gif
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#42 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,693 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Sep 22 2010, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone realised it was horrible, and they stopped selling it.

Why haven't they stopped selling Stella, Heineken, Carlsberg, Black Label and Fosters then? It all tastes like p!ss to me. Funnily enough I was drinking Stella in France last week - it doesn't taste anything like the stuff they sell here.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#43 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Sep 22 2010, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why haven't they stopped selling Stella, Heineken, Carlsberg, Black Label and Fosters then? It all tastes like p!ss to me. Funnily enough I was drinking Stella in France last week - it doesn't taste anything like the stuff they sell here.

You sure it was Stella. I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff everywhere.

Maybe it's like Guinness. People will swear blind that the Guinness in Dublin tastes different but Guinness spend millions of pounds making sure that Guinness is the same everywhere.

That's me.  I'm done.

#44 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,260 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (Steve May @ Sep 22 2010, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guinness spend millions of pounds making sure that Guinness is the same everywhere.

So do John Smith's. It's gubbins.
cool.gif

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#45 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (Wiltshire Rhino @ Sep 22 2010, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The disiplinary panel would have had a field day with that game.

The player's punishments would have been changed to just a 30 fine on appeal though.

Digging back through the old 'Rothmans Yearbooks', Wigan were fined 500 for a second offence, Huddersfield 250 and both clubs were fined 1000 suspended with the match officials to face a seperate inquiry. Although Vince Moss continued to referee for the remainder of the season, he doesn't appear in the list of senior referees subsequently, although as he would have been in his late forties he may have retired.

#46 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,693 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:40 AM

Maybe it's like Guinness. People will swear blind that the Guinness in Dublin tastes different but Guinness spend millions of pounds making sure that Guinness is the same everywhere.

No I had Pression Stella in France and it tasted nothing like the stuff you get here. Having said that the Pelforth was streets ahead of either the Stella or the 1664

#47 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Sep 22 2010, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No I had Pression Stella in France and it tasted nothing like the stuff you get here. Having said that the Pelforth was streets ahead of either the Stella or the 1664

I am unconvinced that Stella isn't pretty much identical everywhere in the World. Are you sure it wasn't a different Artois beer?

That's me.  I'm done.

#48 moorman

moorman
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:14 AM

Slalom Larger !!!! Dont Knock it .

Slalom was one of Cumbrias least well known exports ,Originally brewed at the Old Workington brewery in the mid 1970s and brewed there after it was taken over by Matthew Brown in the next decade, who sponsored Rugby league in a big way round that time . They did a very good brewery tour which usually ended with large quantities of free samples being consumed . Great Days

This particular brew was sold in bottles and Draught at most rugby clubs at that time and certainly was responsible for a few merry nights and sorry mornings in my youngers days

Great memories

With regard to Wigan at that time .I recall them playing at Whitehaven that same season and Haven prop and now director Ralph Calvin getting levelled by Wigans prop Steve Breheny who subsequently got his come uppance from another haven forward .

As other have commented that the way the game was in those days but lacked nothing terms of entertainamnet compared to the more sanitised game of today.

#49 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:11 PM

The memories of watching that game have stayed with me since 1981. I was sickend at the time from a sense of injustice and what appeared to be racism in action that went pretty much unchecked.

#50 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,167 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (RS @ Sep 22 2010, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The memories of watching that game have stayed with me since 1981. I was sickend at the time from a sense of injustice and what appeared to be racism in action that went pretty much unchecked.

certainly the clips posted on youtube could be taken as that, However, they only account for 5 mins of an 80 minute game. Anyone have the missing 75 mins?

#51 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,693 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Steve May @ Sep 22 2010, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am unconvinced that Stella isn't pretty much identical everywhere in the World. Are you sure it wasn't a different Artois beer?

It said Stella on the tap, didn't have to be Stella in the glass I suppose. I must admit I stuck mainly to Pelforth and Leffe whist in France - Estrella in Spain.

#52 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (RS @ Sep 22 2010, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be fair in that era it was common practise to try and nullify any stand out play by any means, fair or foul, and I doubt colour really came into it. If Tony Johnson had been playing ###### that day I suspect he would have been left well alone.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#53 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:05 PM

I remember an interview some years ago with Cec Thom(p?)son, who was about the only black player of his generation, and he said that racism wasn't that big a problem in his day, what really mattered was what class people thought you were and if you were working class as he was then that was OK.

#54 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,693 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:54 PM

I remember going to Headingley in either the late eighties or early nineties and Roy Powell was playing for Leeds against Fev. Leeds were terrible that day and Fev won. For me Powell was their stand out player - never stopped and tackled everything that moved, if all the Leeds players had played as well as Powell they'r probably have won. But it was Powell who got the abuse from the Leeds fans stood near to me. Whether it was because he was black, or because he was out of favour, or they could identify him more easily because he was black I don't know. But I do know he didn't deserve the abuse he was getting from the Leeds fans. In fact if there was a better 80 minute man at the time than Roy Powell I never saw him.

#55 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:44 PM

UK Stella is brewed in UK and is quite different. Try Heinekin in Amsterdam and say that's just the same.

Also untrue I'm sorry to say. Try a bottle of Guinness in West Africa then say it's the same as we now get here. Beautiful it is, just like it used to be in the good old days; like when Wigan were a bunch of thugs.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#56 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Blind side johnny @ Sep 23 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also untrue I'm sorry to say. Try a bottle of Guinness in West Africa then say it's the same as we now get here. Beautiful it is, just like it used to be in the good old days; like when Wigan were a bunch of thugs.

A certain amount of thread drift has set in now, but I am well aware that bottled Guinness is a completely different drink. Many years ago Diageo were one of my clients but sadly I never managed to wrangle a trip out to their biggest Guinness brewery, which is in Lagos.

My point is that I can go into the village pub right now and buy a pint of Guinness that will taste as near as dammit identical to one I could buy in the centre of Dublin. Guinness spend a lot of money making sure that's true.

That's me.  I'm done.

#57 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (Steve May @ Sep 23 2010, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A certain amount of thread drift has set in now, but I am well aware that bottled Guinness is a completely different drink. Many years ago Diageo were one of my clients but sadly I never managed to wrangle a trip out to their biggest Guinness brewery, which is in Lagos.

My point is that I can go into the village pub right now and buy a pint of Guinness that will taste as near as dammit identical to one I could buy in the centre of Dublin. Guinness spend a lot of money making sure that's true.

But you can also buy bottled Guinness in UK and it's quite different to the W African brew.

You didn't say draft, so I win, Nyhaaa!

What's thread drift? Who brews it?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users