Keighley match

Peter G.

Didn't make it over today, listened to Acko instead. Very painful listening, not just the loss but the Knights sounded terrible at times, many errors plus poor decision making. Fordy stayed calm on the radio saying no knee jerk reaction but said at least three players very poor today, well below usual standards. 

Considering how bad it sounded suppose we did well to only lose by two. Over to you guys who made it over. 

Peter

very dissapointing showing today, Keighley were their usual workmanlike tough side and looked dangerous when attacking. We kept kicking straight to their back three in first half who fielded and returned everything. At 10-0 we should have gone on to win the game but we kept letting them back in and fair play they took their chances and we blew at least two clear try scoring chances. Couple of times we made breaks but no backing up. Perhaps last week took more out of them. 

Jo Batchelor was outstanding again and for me our stand out player all season, too many others weren't in the game I'm afraid. 

Results went for us so not too much damage done, still in fourth but not an easy game in the Super 8s and frustrating after last week. 

Matty behaaral coming over to the York fans gesturing and their announcer saying "now what's the scores on the board Mr Ford" is pretty low in my opinion. 

Onwards to to next week's battle with Worky. 

andypk.gif

48 minutes ago, ANDYPK said:

Peter

very dissapointing showing today, Keighley were their usual workmanlike tough side and looked dangerous when attacking. We kept kicking straight to their back three in first half who fielded and returned everything. At 10-0 we should have gone on to win the game but we kept letting them back in and fair play they took their chances and we blew at least two clear try scoring chances. Couple of times we made breaks but no backing up. Perhaps last week took more out of them. 

Jo Batchelor was outstanding again and for me our stand out player all season, too many others weren't in the game I'm afraid. 

Results went for us so not too much damage done, still in fourth but not an easy game in the Super 8s and frustrating after last week. 

Matty behaaral coming over to the York fans gesturing and their announcer saying "now what's the scores on the board Mr Ford" is pretty low in my opinion. 

Onwards to to next week's battle with Worky. 

Andy Lingard's been spouting that they will beat Toronto so lets wait and see, a bad day at the office today, its not the end of the world all the other clubs have to play Toronto, still think we will make the top 5.

Firstly, well played Keighley, they stuck in there and scrambled well, no sour grapes from me.

Very disappointing though, that reminded me of some of the early season performances against the Welsh clubs earlier in the season. Some of the play was so unsmart I just can't get my head round around it. I'm not talking missed tackles or dropped balls, that's part and parcel of rugby league but 3 incidents confused me.

The 2nd York try. There wasn't a Keighley player anywhere near the tryscorer, he could've got much nearer the sticks. Instead it was plonked down nearer the side and the conversion is missed. Proved costly.

In the 2nd half, trying to run it on the last and turning over possession on halfway. Keighley go and score.

Connor Robinson's intercept - he might not have had the pace, but surely put your head down, get as close to the Keighley line as possible, then a quick ptb. Instead he took the tackle just past halfway and it fizzled out.

Reluctant to bag the players but they have to be smarter at times. Interested to hear peoples thoughts on the hooter. I had the 2nd half starting at 3.59pm, and the hooter went at 4.37pm, that's 38 minutes not taking into account the lengthy stoppage for Emmett. Still, I think even with an extra 20mins Keighley would've won!

Anyway, good York support - 500+ I'd say. Can anyone with a longer association with York than me explain why Keighley have such a grudge by the way? Never heard so many snide comments from their fans, plus the announcer having his moment of fame. A shame as the stewards are fantastic.

12 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

Can anyone with a longer association with York than me explain why Keighley have such a grudge by the way?

Never been that much passion at games between us in the past so I'd say it's purely down to the circumstances surrounding our game against you earlier in the season and the war of the words that followed between Lingard and Ford.

Also a lot of our fans have a strong hatred of Dual Reg which you use very well. 

With our loss yesterday and both haven and barrow winning the best we can hope for now is fourth or fifth.

So let's dig deep for the next few weeks then it's possibly two playoffs in Cumbria to test whether we are ready for promotion..

Up the kneets.☺☺☺.

3 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on the hooter. I had the 2nd half starting at 3.59pm, and the hooter went at 4.37pm, that's 38 minutes not taking into account the lengthy stoppage for Emmett. Still, I think even with an extra 20mins Keighley would've won!

Anyway, good York support - 500+ I'd say. Can anyone with a longer association with York than me explain why Keighley have such a grudge by the way? Never heard so many snide comments from their fans, plus the announcer having his moment of fame. A shame as the stewards are fantastic.

The hooter took me and my mates by surprise, we all thought there was a couple more minutes to play too.  Not complaining as we're all Keighley fans :-)

As to the grudge, it is only down to Ford and the mass citing of players after the previous game. Disciplinary should be left to the RFL.  If the RFL want to look through the  video and cite players then fine but coaches should stay out.

Fair play to Ford though for coming into the bar after the game and taking some good-natured banter from the fans (both teams) who were there.  As long as he hasn't reported half the Keighley team today that should end it all.

3 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Firstly, well played Keighley, they stuck in there and scrambled well, no sour grapes from me.

Very disappointing though, that reminded me of some of the early season performances against the Welsh clubs earlier in the season. Some of the play was so unsmart I just can't get my head round around it. I'm not talking missed tackles or dropped balls, that's part and parcel of rugby league but 3 incidents confused me.

The 2nd York try. There wasn't a Keighley player anywhere near the tryscorer, he could've got much nearer the sticks. Instead it was plonked down nearer the side and the conversion is missed. Proved costly.

In the 2nd half, trying to run it on the last and turning over possession on halfway. Keighley go and score.

Connor Robinson's intercept - he might not have had the pace, but surely put your head down, get as close to the Keighley line as possible, then a quick ptb. Instead he took the tackle just past halfway and it fizzled out.

Reluctant to bag the players but they have to be smarter at times. Interested to hear peoples thoughts on the hooter. I had the 2nd half starting at 3.59pm, and the hooter went at 4.37pm, that's 38 minutes not taking into account the lengthy stoppage for Emmett. Still, I think even with an extra 20mins Keighley would've won!

Think a lot of it started when Marchy was their coach, he fell out with the York club.

9 hours ago, Gisburn said:

As to the grudge, it is only down to Ford and the mass citing of players after the previous game. Disciplinary should be left to the RFL.  If the RFL want to look through the  video and cite players then fine but coaches should stay out.

So wanting to protect his players is grounds to bear a grudge? If the RFL were effective in stamping out foul play then fair enough but having watched the game for almost 40 years their ineptitude is staggeringly apparent so they need all the help they can get.

14 hours ago, JonT said:

So wanting to protect his players is grounds to bear a grudge? If the RFL were effective in stamping out foul play then fair enough but having watched the game for almost 40 years their ineptitude is staggeringly apparent so they need all the help they can get.

As Bananarama sang It Ain't What You Do, It's the Way That You Do It and with that I'll say goodbye until next season unless by some miracle we meet at BC in the promotion final.

3 hours ago, Gisburn said:

As Bananarama sang It Ain't What You Do, It's the Way That You Do It and with that I'll say goodbye until next season unless by some miracle we meet at BC in the promotion final.

To quote another Bananarama song, for any fans not of Canadian or Cumbrian origin I think it's more likely 2017 will turn out to be just another 'Cruel Summer'  ......

32 minutes ago, JonT said:

To quote another Bananarama song, for any fans not of Canadian or Cumbrian origin I think it's more likely 2017 will turn out to be just another 'Cruel Summer'  ......

Not for us Knight fans, we didn't expect to have such a great season at Christmas, were loving it and long may it continue.

5 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

Not for us Knight fans, we didn't expect to have such a great season at Christmas, were loving it and long may it continue.

Very true SK. And don't you worry, I'm enjoying every second of it :-)

I just don't quite see us making the finish line of promotion this year though, but next year....bring it on! 

Cant' wait to see how the squad and club develops under James and Jon.

Remember those days at the end of the Wasps when it was just a couple of hundred of us? I do which is why I have to keep pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming!!!

Archived