John Cogger interview

philipw

Absolute oldham legend.  He's right about the Warrington game. Fordy chipped through, lordy, an absolute speed merchant , picked it up and scored. Just needed Platty  to covert.  But john holdsworth (it pains me to mention his name,  but his name must go down in infammy) disallowed it. If we'd have won we would have been at Wembley on the same weekend as Latics. If only?

24 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Absolute oldham legend.  He's right about the Warrington game. Fordy chipped through, lordy, an absolute speed merchant , picked it up and scored. Just needed Platty  to covert.  But john holdsworth (it pains me to mention his name,  but his name must go down in infammy) disallowed it. If we'd have won we would have been at Wembley on the same weekend as Latics. If only?

I know....me and my dad were walking up the large terrace at Central Park to head out and had a almost aerial view of it....I was only 10 and STILL to this day am adamant that he was onside. We went to the football at Wembley, but what a weekend that would have been....

Brilliant player who gave everything.

Remember going to Runcorn to watch Oldham play them (think Charlie McAlister may have been on trial??) and thought Cogger was the dirtiest player I had ever seen, as had a go at everyone. How things changed when he joined us, gave everything and put us on the front foot with every one of his many carries in a game. Remember him picking up from base of scrum and scooting away for a try down the blind side a few times - don't see that in the modern game!

COME ON OLDHAM!!!! COME ON OLDHAM!!!!!

• 2 years later...

As John's nephew has signed for Huddersfield and I thought I would bump this up. 

I spoke to John in 2015 and he was an absolute legend and he was telling me that he used to live on Lord Lane Failsworth. 

And yes John says that it was a try

Archived