Scott and Walker - that punch

CURTIS Scott’s clenched fist will leave Dylan Walker sidelined for six weeks after scans confirmed the Manly star had suffered a fractured eye socket.

Walker did not return to the field after he was punched by Scott during the second half of the Sea Eagles’ 24-4 NRL win over Melbourne on Saturday night.

Scott, a potential NSW State of Origin bolter, was sent off as a result of the punch, which came as Walker had his arms by his side after an earlier scuffle.

Thee was ill feeling simmering between these two before the outburst of violence and that punch.

Walker is known for his goading. On this occasion young Scott just lost it as the red mist descended. Not only did he get his marching orders, he damaged Walker's eye socket, closed his eye for him and finished both their playing nights.

Walker was sin-binned for his involvement in the fracas and was replaced by winger Matt Wright, from the bench, for the remainder of the match.

The Manly centre posted a photo to social media after the match of his injured eye socket with a caption of “talk s**t get hit ... Well done sir”.

Scott apologised for the punch via a statement posted on Melbourne’s social media on Sunday.

“While it doesn’t change what happened last night I would like to deeply apologise to my team, Manly and NRL fans for my actions. Not how I want to represent myself, my team, or the game,” he said.

Not good that he was so seriously injured, Walker will be out for a while.

What do you reckon?

Let's hope Walker won't do anything silly with painkillers this time.

Did I get the right Walker?

Scott should probably be suspended for the duration of Walker's absence. The Manly hooker deserves a long break as well for his retaliation.

That being said, the whole thing is obviously a Queensland ploy to make up for the retirement of 3/4 of their team's spine.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

Yes DD.

In Scott's case he got a points deduction on his penalty for every minute he was off the field - 28 minutes meant a twenty eight penalty points taken of his overall sending off punishment.

Nelson's punishment was of course for a separate incident  where the grading this season meant a fine was the new standard practice.

Judiciary Punishments announced today:

Melbourne centre Curtis Scott and Manly hooker Apisai Koroisau have both been suspended for striking in Saturday night's ill-tempered clash between the sides.

Scott will receive a two-match ban after pleading guilty to a grade three striking charge on Sea Eagles centre Dylan Walker, while Koroisau will miss one match for a grade one striking charge on Scott.

Melbourne forward Nelson Asofa-Solomona has been fined $1100 for a grade one careless high tackle on Manly's Jake Trbojevic in the same game.

15 minutes ago, Graham said:

Yes DD.

In Scott's case he got a points deduction on his penalty for every minute he was off the field - 28 minutes meant a twenty eight penalty points taken of his overall sending off punishment.

Nelson's punishment was of course for a separate incident  where the grading this season meant a fine was the new standard practice.

Judiciary Punishments announced today:

I know the rules are the same for everyone, but this is a strange one. Especially since Walker's fractured eye-socket probably won't heal 28 minutes/hours/days faster than expected.

I agree. A rather light punishment.

But it's not the first time (nor the last) that I'm left bemused by the Judiciary, even when it benefits Cronulla.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

Two weeks for a flurry of foul play that will see the receiver on the sidelines for six weeks is baffling. Grade 3 offences should never have minimum/maximum sentences and should be heard in front of a judiciary appropriately. 

Four shots all connected , real crackers . Pity walker didn’t give it back then it would have been a old fashioned classic . He wound him up then got smashed . Korisau got a sneaky one in . Watched it a few times . 

The Biff is back,one of the problems of the no punching rule is the rise of wind up merchants in the game like Walker,never wish to see a player receive a serious injury but he deserved a smack.

Just now, Davo5 said:

The Biff is back,one of the problems of the no punching rule is the rise of wind up merchants in the game like Walker,never wish to see a player receive a serious injury but he deserved a smack.

Serious injury is unfortunate but the wind ups , the handbags , the mouthing etc they just go on and on tediously . Shirt holding blah blah . There’s no release valve . Seriously , cheap dirty underhand play is no good but physical toe to toe and a face up fight now n again should be part of the game . Done n dusted . Lots of wind up merchants around . Walker really wasn’t expecting that and  should have stood and gave it back as he’s entitled to once it’s on rather than cowering away . Scott showed he’s got steel in him there . And let’s be honest , fans and commentators love it really . Sin bin , cool it then get on with it . 

Luke Lewis has entered the fray on this saying Walker was lucky to avoid joining Scott with a red card.

"I don't condone it, fighting, but personally I think Dylan Walker probably deserved it," Lewis said on Tuesday.

"(Walker) sort of went out the way to give Curtis Scott a good push in the back.

"I believe Dylan Walker started the fight because Curtis Scott walked away and then he came away and initiated it.

Curtis Scott lands a punch on Dylan Walker.

"Our game definitely can't get down the track of letting punches go again, but if you send one (off the ground), you've got to send two.

"I think they should've sent both of them off for the game."

I can also report that Koroisau's Manly team mates appear to have backed him, but I can't read beyond the headline on that because it is behing the Daily Telegraph (Aus) paywall.

I did find this though:

While Walker has arguably received more negative feedback than Scott following the incident, his Sea Eagles skipper Daly Cherry-Evans backed his teammate.

Cherry-Evans said he won't be telling Walker to tone his sledging down when he returns from injury.

"No way, Mick Ennis never had to," Cherry-Evans said.

"It's a part of the game. He certainly wasn't the only one out there talking a bit of rubbish either.

"It's a part of rugby league. This time it led to some action."

Pretty good assessment by Luke Lewis in the main . Walker thought he could he do as he pleased as no one can do anything anymore other than pull a shirt . He got a big shock , which was nice . I think young Scott will have gone up in a lot of folks estimations as having something about him . Guys who shout in players face or pat you on the head after an error deserve one

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Pretty good assessment by Luke Lewis in the main . Walker thought he could he do as he pleased as no one can do anything anymore other than pull a shirt . He got a big shock , which was nice . I think young Scott will have gone up in a lot of folks estimations as having something about him . Guys who shout in players face or pat you on the head after an error deserve one

Partly. I thought a yellow was fair for Walker.

I agree Scott has gone up in my estimation though, as I thought he was a bit wet and lightweight but he has something about him and with a bit more bulk could be a top centre

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Partly. I thought a yellow was fair for Walker.

I agree Scott has gone up in my estimation though, as I thought he was a bit wet and lightweight but he has something about him and with a bit more bulk could be a top centre

Indeed . I didn’t agree with the assessment on walker being sent off . He got his punishment . Korisau got a yellow for a punch but Scott got a red , presumably for frequency . Interesting how they scale that . Three yellows to cool down would have done

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Indeed . I didn’t agree with the assessment on walker being sent off . He got his punishment . Korisau got a yellow for a punch but Scott got a red , presumably for frequency . Interesting how they scale that . Three yellows to cool down would have done 

I'm not sure about that, Walker was out for the rest of the game with the injury so it's only fair that Scott got a red.

Korisau could be considered lucky not to see red as well

Archived