Aspinwall

lifer

Duerden can't speak highly enough of his performances for town just not to the coaches liking but still always at training even when not picked, pre season games last season he looked superb!

Wilkes and aspinwall to add to the young lads with one or 2 more looking good wasted in that league raiders

Good luck up the town

Duerden can't speak highly enough of his performances for town just not to the coaches liking but still always at training even when not picked, pre season games last season he looked superb!

Wilkes and aspinwall to add to the young lads with one or 2 more looking good wasted in that league raiders

Good luck up the town

It's not been mentioned here yet but Martin Aspinwall is on a two year deal.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

I note that he is training to be an accountant which helped secure his deal.

I think this is a great way to sign players and something to be utilised further. Local deals with BAE, Kimberley Clark ect would be a good way to sign players and make us a much more attractive proposition. Super league players around 31 or 32 will be looking at their options as the average SL player wage means you will likely have to find some employment after playing. A wage at Barrow plus a career at BAE on decent money would be able to sway some good players to our club.

On another note how does it work with the salary cap for that sort of thing. Let's say he has a fantastic season and guides us too promotion yet RF Miller and Co give him a decent bonus at the end of the year, will the RFL investigate? Only pure speculation and thought. I'm not saying this would happen but what is stopping people dodging the salary cap via other companies?

Spot on RSM.

In the past that's how we persuaded players to come here. Those days are long gone. Dodging the salary cap goes on from SL to our level. It's how you do it that matters. We tried it once but we were a bit innocent/naive, but actually too honest,  to get away with it. Lots of ways round it but that's why the SL clubs get away with it. Thanks to SKY they can afford the top 'advisers'. We now have a board of honest, decent people and the best way to thumb our noses at the RL and all those pigs in the trough, is to continue going to CP to continue supporting out team, our town and welcoming all those away supporters who are in the same boat and feel the same way.

Sempur Sursum.

What Martin earns through his employment has nothing to do with the salary cap,if RF Miler decide to give him a bonus it's up to them as a company,likewise it's up to them what his salary is as an accountant so has no impact on the clubs cap

I'm not sure how you can be too honest by breaching a salary cap, the 'alleged' wages that were being earned soon cause ripples amongst the game as everyone knows everyone else and people talk,if clubs 'allegedly' give extra payments they probably don't shout about it,it was only a matter of time it was going to go boom for us,back to subject Martin Aspinwall is a good signing for the club

What Martin earns through his employment has nothing to do with the salary cap,if RF Miler decide to give him a bonus it's up to them as a company,likewise it's up to them what his salary is as an accountant so has no impact on the clubs cap

Could a player play as an amateur, with all his salary provided by his commercial employer?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Could a player play as an amateur, with all his salary provided by his commercial employer?

Il gladly be corrected but I think you can only sign as an amateur for 4 weeks/games

or we could stuff money in his boots like the old days

It possibly still happens now✉️✉️

To The Vet, come on. Too honest to break the salary cap? Look what SJ TOLD the RL what he was doing and got slaughtered for it. I don't know the guy, never met him, but bet there were lot's of chuckles from other chairmen when he did that. Back to subject, great signing. Crellin?

What I'm saying is by breaching a cap you can't be doing things honestly,I'm not saying illegal payments don't happen either,I'm presuming you meant Des J instead of SJ when talking to the RFL? Whatever 'truths' he told the RFL didn't help him as individuals don't get a 7/8 year ban from the sport for a bit of overpayment

What I'm saying is by breaching a cap you can't be doing things honestly,I'm not saying illegal payments don't happen either,I'm presuming you meant Des J instead of SJ when talking to the RFL? Whatever 'truths' he told the RFL didn't help him as individuals don't get a 7/8 year ban from the sport for a bit of overpayment

I think the issue is where is the line between honest and dishonest.

Let's say Des employed Ned Catic as an admin assistant for Johnston recruitment whilst he was at the club. Works 5 hours a week along with playing for Barrow. Would it of been looked at by the RFL is Des paid him a bonus of 50k a year via Johnston recruitments books following winning the league in 2009 and even if they did look at it what could they legally do about it?

I agree it is a grey area,the RFL I'm guessing must have some protocol to follow with this sort of negations regarding payments,like I said in an earlier post,RL is a small circle and people hear quickly when the cash is being spent,obviously over time the club must have been investigated thoroughly as they seemed to come up with a precise sort of figure which was over spent, in hindsight maybe Catic should have been employed as an admin assistant to deal with 'extra' contracts

Archived