Russia and doping

In today's D.Mail it reports that 30 of the 50 British Athletes who are serving bans for drug abuse are rugby union or rugby league players.

Does this mean that there is more abuse in rugby or that the rugby authorities are more robust in seeking out transgressors?

Of those 30 how many are league players and again do we have a worse record than union or are we more diligent ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/11859913/Rugby-uncovered-Union-is-the-dirtiest-sport-in-Britain-and-its-doping-problem-is-growing.html

"Of the 47 people listed on the banned list, 16 are from rugby union and 12 from rugby league. The two codes comprise 81 per cent of the bans announced this year by UKAD."

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

According to the RFL, RL tests players both in and out of competition, with both urine and blood samples.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/11859913/Rugby-uncovered-Union-is-the-dirtiest-sport-in-Britain-and-its-doping-problem-is-growing.html

"Of the 47 people listed on the banned list, 16 are from rugby union and 12 from rugby league. The two codes comprise 81 per cent of the bans announced this year by UKAD."

Well as Union has 2 million participants according to their clapometer ( or whatever they use)

We must either be far more diligent or the biggest bunch of cheats.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/26/rugby-steroids-olympic-games-rio?CMP=share_btn_tw

About a decade after Thear-Graham’s incarceration, while doing research for a book, I asked a very senior official in Welsh sport how many rugby players he thought were using steroids. He put it simply: “How many aren’t?”

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• 3 months later...

https://jakegshelley.wordpress.com/2016/03/03/what-is-melodoniummildronate/

A very timely blog regarding the medicine Sharapova just got busted for.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

https://jakegshelley.wordpress.com/2016/03/03/what-is-melodoniummildronate/

A very timely blog regarding the medicine Sharapova just got busted for.  

Sharapova accepted being caught with good grace, blaming no-one but herself for not checking the new banned list.  Nice to see someone accept it for a change rather than pleading innocence or conspiracies.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2012 Olympic final, who's left?

Cc3ilmVUAAEf79w.jpg

Sharapova accepted being caught with good grace, blaming no-one but herself for not checking the new banned list.  Nice to see someone accept it for a change rather than pleading innocence or conspiracies.

I think its great that she has won 5 titles despite having angina for 10 years...

I think its great that she has won 5 titles despite having angina for 10 years...

Or suffered a heart attack.

Oh I'm not saying she's an innocent angel, she played the game hard by taking chemical substances that weren't banned then just didn't pay attention when they were.  She knew exactly what she was doing by taking them and probably paid a good amount for that advice, returned well over the years by having the extra endurance to win titles.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Oh I'm not saying she's an innocent angel, she played the game hard by taking chemical substances that weren't banned then just didn't pay attention when they were.  She knew exactly what she was doing by taking them and probably paid a good amount for that advice, returned well over the years by having the extra endurance to win titles.

Most professional sportsmen/women take supplements and medication. If it isn't on the list, their competitors can do exactly the same. Sharapova's also had several persistent injuries over the last decade, and I assume she's had to deal with it by all legal means available to her.

Behind the scenes, I assume some of Sharapova's support team got a very intense carpeting* for not keeping up with the latest additions to the banned list.

*polite choice of words.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 Georgian wrestlers test positive for meldonium...

Sharapova is being very canny in controlling the story.  She has got some very good advisor's.  Framing it as a medicine she has been taking as opposed to a 'supplement' gets people sympathetic.

Sharapova is being very canny in controlling the story.  She has got some very good advisor's.  Framing it as a medicine she has been taking as opposed to a 'supplement' gets people sympathetic.

Agreed about the advisors - no doubt she can 'prove' those health issues too with plenty of money behind her. I see Nike have dropped her already...

I know she is a better tennis player than me but for all the money and adulation isn't Five Grand Slams in 13 years a poor return?

She's had several long stints out with injury, and also seems unable to cope (mentally or physically) with Serena Williams, whose career has run concurrent with hers. And if you go deep into the second week of a Grand Slam, you'll probably have to play Serena at some point, and while some players have found ways to trouble her, Sharapova's game seems to fall apart when the two meet.

So 4 Grand Slam titles, 1 end-of-year WTA final and over 30 titles in other top-ranking tournaments isn't too shabby, considering. As is being the world's richest female athlete.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived