Rugby League World - Issue 353 - Out 6th Aug

The editor of RLW is a Bradfordian. He feels your pain.

(He's also started referring to himself in the third person. First sign of madness, that).

Wibble. :wacko:

PS: Thanks for subscribing!

Will he continue to ignore the issues raised by the long-term buyers?! :rolleyes:;)

Tomorrow morning - Huddersfield Station shop for my trip over to Leigh

Be a bit weird watching the CC semi at the Galpharm on a pub telly in Leigh, and shame I can't meet up with the Skints massive

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Tomorrow morning - Huddersfield Station shop for my trip over to Leigh

Rip the conference and any amateur bits out, sling the rest :D

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

Anyone on here going to be brave enough to enter the Face of RLW comp?

Be the face of RLW!

No. If I did I'd just put prospective buyers off :wacko:

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

Anyone on here going to be brave enough to enter the Face of RLW comp?

Be the face of RLW!

Read about that John, pity it's got to be only those who can get to the George Hotel on one particular day though

Would have thought you could have got individual photos of fans from each country and made them into one - nice to have the group shot, but don't see how you're going to get a true fan of each country in Huddersfield, no matter how multi-cultural a place it is

Maybe you're trying something different than having a shot of the players, your guest this month representing PNG of course, and I applaud that. Hope you get what you're looking for :D

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Another point for John to ignore, I think I may have mentioned it before, I'm currently reading last month's and while Phil Caplan has an interesting article, the writing style and use of language doesn't fit with the rest of the magazine.

Have a word.

Another point for John to ignore,

I take note of all feedback received. Honest! ;)

I don't expect absolutely everyone to love absolutely everything in the mag, though. Blimey, that would be a difficult target to hit every month.

Different people will have different tastes, but hopefully there is a broad enough selection of material in RLW these days for as many RL fans as possible to find enough things they do like in there to make it worth the cover price for them personally each month.

I buy lots of other mags myself but I rarely read them cover to cover. I pick out the stuff I like and that interests me and ignore the rest.

I'm always open to suggestions for RLW though, for new features, potential interviewees, subjects to investigate, Guest Room invites, even submission of articles to be considered for publication. There's a piece in the current issue written by a forum member. Very good it is too.

Read about that John, pity it's got to be only those who can get to the George Hotel on one particular day though

Would have thought you could have got individual photos of fans from each country and made them into one - nice to have the group shot, but don't see how you're going to get a true fan of each country in Huddersfield, no matter how multi-cultural a place it is

Maybe you're trying something different than having a shot of the players, your guest this month representing PNG of course, and I applaud that. Hope you get what you're looking for :D

Ah well, I'm taking something of a risk with the whole idea to be honest, but I wanted to have a bit of fun with the cover and try to encourage readers to buy into the idea with the opportunity to appear on it themselves. I had to pick a particular date and venue in advance, and one that fitted into the timescale we have from launching the comp in the current issue to needing the finished shots for publication in the November issue, and it didn't leave much room for maneouvre. It would have been too complicated to try and do this any other way than getting everyone together in one place at one time, with a facepainter and photographer to work into the equation, though I do appreciate it means not everyone who might like to enter the comp will be able to.

Hopefully it won't all go horribly wrong and we'll end up with a very interesting and eye-catching cover for our Four Nations issue! :D:O

(Just to clarify, anyone able to get to the RL Heritage Centre at The George in Huddersfield on Saturday 18th Sept between 11am to 4pm is eligible to take part in the comp. You don't have to be from England, Australia, NZ or PNG to represent those countries on our cover, you just need to be willing to have your face painted in the relevant colours and wear a replica shirt supplied by us for the photo shoot)

(Just to clarify, anyone able to get to the RL Heritage Centre at The George in Huddersfield on Saturday 18th Sept between 11am to 4pm is eligible to take part in the comp. You don't have to be from England, Australia, NZ or PNG to represent those countries on our cover, you just need to be willing to have your face painted in the relevant colours and wear a replica shirt supplied by us for the photo shoot)

Blimmin eck, if you can guarantee the paint will hide your face I might have a go send Lee ;)

Finished the last 'un. Had a quick flick through the new one. Hmm. Maybe the novelty is beginning to wear off... '

Uh-oh, is the honeymoon period over. :O

My First Hero' lasted long! :rolleyes:

We struggled to find current players who could think of one. They tend to find their motivation from other sources these days, it seems. No point flogging a dead horse.

Can I have a free binder? :D

Straight answer? No. :P

But you can get two quid off them if you subscribe. Hinty hint.

Shameless? Me!!?? :D

Got my copy yesterday. Happy with it, but I did get a bit confused reading it (maybe cos Im thick, but still...).

My problem was really a lack of unity of content.

We lead with a good piece on Wakey & Cas on page 6 to 8. Then we're back to Wakey & Cas again on p31, part of a series of rambling (connected? unconnected?) articles on "derbies" which finishes on p.39. Then hey ho on p.59 there's the fans view on derbies again.

There's a bit on the Catalans p.43, fair enough. Then we're back to the catalans on p.72 (then a bit more french stuff on p.78). But no (soon to be much missed) French diary.

The articles on the cup semi-final "memory" and the ashes were both a bit random too. I didn't recognised either of the journalists names but those pieces were not quite up to standard.

Sorry for the nit-picking, but I have just renewed by subscription and Im not grubbing for a binder. ;)

We struggled to find current players who could think of one. They tend to find their motivation from other sources these days, it seems. No point flogging a dead horse.

That's an idea for an article John - what does motivate them these days??

Also, you may have done it before but what about a top five things to be proud of/love in relation to TGG

1. Toughest sport - no padding etc

2. Seeing the kids you know grow up and achieve greatness

3. Family game whether playing or watching

4. No trouble with supporters mixing in the ground

5. Good friends made at all clubs, not just my own

now I know people will pull apart my list - it was just off the top of my head

Or how about a few more pages for the clubs outside of Super League??? I usually have to turn over 6 or 7 pages of RLE before I see a mention of Championship and Championship 1 and soon I fear they will be called Super League Express and Super League World!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Or how about a few more pages for the clubs outside of Super League??? I usually have to turn over 6 or 7 pages of RLE before I see a mention of Championship and Championship 1 and soon I fear they will be called Super League Express and Super League World!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

hear hear , and for him indoors - more amateur and conference

RLW in particular is far better now. The amount of Super League coverage has gone down about 40% I'd say from this time last year. Maybe it hasn't all been filled with championship stuff, but certainly from other corners of the...err...Rugby League world. You are never going to please everyone, because at the end of the day I'd bet Super League stuff sells more mags than the Championship (not saying you should get rid of all the other coverage mind, but it's a business at the end of the day).

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010