What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lily & Maria's only album. Not as good as I was hoping, as one review compared them to Wendy & Bonnie or Honey Ltd.

Then, Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Street Survivors', the last album before the fateful plane crash. Good stuff.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have a track by those (MCR) on the last CD from Vive Le Rock mag Ullman.

I must admit, when I posted the youtube links I thought they'd be right up your street.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Then, Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Street Survivors', the last album before the fateful plane crash. Good stuff.

Along with the Ramones' 'Too Tough To Die' that has got to be up there with the most tragically ironic album titles (not to mention the cover).

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Folklorist Alan Lomax spent about 60 years, beginning in the 1930s, traveling around mainly the USA, but also around the world, recording folk, blues, jazz, anything traditional he could find.

Now, the Association for Cultural Equity, a nonprofit organization founded by Lomax, have just put up 17,000 sound recordings on their website: http://www.culturalequity.org/ 

As well as music, there are interviews with the likes of Big Bill Broonzy, Memphis Slim and Howlin' Wolf. There's video as well as audio.

Oh, and it's all free. Fill yer boots!

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Their 'Plastic Surgery Disasters' album was a favourite listen through my last two years of school.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I vaguely remember the clown suit thing but not the details that you can recall.

I've not heard the Lard or Guantanamo School of Medicine stuff. I've got the Tumor Circus thing he did with the members of Steel Pole Bath Tub. It's good but it's pretty heavy going.

Haven't heard that but I always thought Billie Holiday's best work was with Pres & Teddy backing.

There was a good programme about Billie Holiday on Radio 4 the other day: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05pn3t6

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Withers - Live at Carnegie Hall. A great recording of a great performance. Just magic.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Maths time! Robert Palmer + Lowell George = greasy funk!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Audacity of Hype lp

EMP have it on vinyl as well as The Dwarves Invented Rock 'n' Roll.

That's my birthday present to myself sorted.

Blind melon

There's a name from the past!

I have the single 'No Rain' on the hard drive.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forgot I had this: Don Henley - The Boys of Summer. Co-written with Mike Campbell (from The Heartbreakers), it takes me right back to the Summer of 1984. A superb-sounding recording, too, on my vinyl rip.

Ralph Waldo Emerson