Tim Sheens says he would pick Gareth Ellis in the Australian team.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's a British citizen that's fine by me.

It's not fine by me. Heighington has openly said he's only putting his name forward for England because he can't get a game with NSW. He can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

england have heaps of better back rowers anyway, why make a mockery of your team for a backrower.

dont need him, hes not that good.

Heighington had a tremendous game for Wests Tigers against the Sydney Roosters.

I would still pick Ellis, Burgess and Westwood as my top three second rowers for England, and O'Loughlin as loose forward. But Heighington is next best and needs to be in the squad as cover for injuries to any of the above.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

Heighington had a tremendous game for Wests Tigers against the Sydney Roosters.

I would still pick Ellis, Burgess and Westwood as my top three second rowers for England, and O'Loughlin as loose forward. But Heighington is next best and needs to be in the squad as cover for injuries to any of the above.

no he doesnt "need to be in the squad" as cover.. we have plenty of equally as good second rowers who can do the same job.. and how many do we need to take anyway... in a squad of 24 i would argue 4 second rowers... so Joel Tomkins goes and jobs a good un.. Heighington is not THAT good and i would rather take a younger player with an eye on the future as the "what if" player.

no he doesnt "need to be in the squad" as cover.. we have plenty of equally as good second rowers who can do the same job.. and how many do we need to take anyway... in a squad of 24 i would argue 4 second rowers... so Joel Tomkins goes and jobs a good un.. Heighington is not THAT good and i would rather take a younger player with an eye on the future as the "what if" player.

Since England can take 24 players on tour, then it makes sense for the selectors to choose England born players only for the starting squad.

But Heighington lives in Australia, and he should be considered as back up, and eligible for call up if there is a serious run of injuries on tour. To reject him under such possible cicumstances would be self-destructive.

_____

Since England can take 24 players on tour, then it makes sense for the selectors to choose England born players only for the starting squad.

But Heighington lives in Australia, and he should be considered as back up, and eligible for call up if there is a serious run of injuries on tour. To reject him under such possible cicumstances would be self-destructive.

To call him up would be more destructive, he's pants.

Plus it would ruin team morale

To call him up would be more destructive, he's pants.

Plus it would ruin team morale

Wasting your breathe, we have plenty of options in the back rowers.

Paris being his usual.

Ellis, Burgess, Westwood, Tomkins, Crabtree, Lockers all in my opinion miles better than his selection.

no i disagree with both those statements completley..

it doesnt make sense for the selectors to choose England born players only for the starting squad becuase it is 24... it should be the 24 best players to be eligable for England no matter where they are born/raised etc.. it should simply be the best 24 players that we are able to pick (for example.. Willie Manu if he played in the Pacific nations last year is not eligable without dispensation which shoudlnt be given IMO but either way he is not good enough to be in the 24 so it is a pointless argument about who he shoudl represnet.. however if he could and was good enough he should go.. if heighington were good enough he should be in the 24.. i dont think he is)

he should be considered as back up and eligibl for a call up as any player who is eligible for the squad should be. To pick him becuase he lives in australia would also be self-destructive.. if he is the next best name not in the squad in that position when there is an injury he should be called up, if he is not then it takes 24 hours to get to australia and they should fly the next best out.. otherwise it is a slap in the face to them and a farce.

no i disagree with both those statements completley..

it doesnt make sense for the selectors to choose England born players only for the starting squad becuase it is 24... it should be the 24 best players to be eligable for England no matter where they are born/raised etc.. it should simply be the best 24 players that we are able to pick (for example.. Willie Manu if he played in the Pacific nations last year is not eligable without dispensation which shoudlnt be given IMO but either way he is not good enough to be in the 24 so it is a pointless argument about who he shoudl represnet.. however if he could and was good enough he should go.. if heighington were good enough he should be in the 24.. i dont think he is)

he should be considered as back up and eligibl for a call up as any player who is eligible for the squad should be. To pick him becuase he lives in australia would also be self-destructive.. if he is the next best name not in the squad in that position when there is an injury he should be called up, if he is not then it takes 24 hours to get to australia and they should fly the next best out.. otherwise it is a slap in the face to them and a farce.

Are you familiar with the concept of jet lag?

Are you familiar with the cost of a business class round trip ticket between the UK and Australia?

_____

The English star Gareth Ellis scored another excellent try in the West Tigers exciting performance yesterday. So too did English heritage player Chris Heighington. Both put in splendid performances, even though overshadowed by the brilliant playmaker Benji Marshall.

Ellis's place in the England team is not in question. But Heighington's consistently excellent performances will be hard to overlook by the English selectors, especially if injuries to backrowers the 24 man squad require a quick replacement.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

The English star Gareth Ellis scored another excellent try in the West Tigers exciting performance yesterday. So too did English heritage player Chris Heighington. Both put in splendid performances, even though overshadowed by the brilliant playmaker Benji Marshall.

Ellis's place in the England team is not in question. But Heighington's consistently excellent performances will be hard to overlook by the English selectors, especially if injuries to backrowers the 24 man squad require a quick replacement.

Wrong forum.

Are you familiar with the concept of jet lag?

Are you familiar with the cost of a business class round trip ticket between the UK and Australia?

yes after doing the trip a few times myself.. i'm sure they would cope.. are you familiar with the concept that the reserve being flown out would not necessarily be straight in the side anyway as that person is already out there?