Whisky

really? I thought it was quite bland.

Have you tried the stuff ftom the lake district yet... that's not a bad dram and better than Penderyn in my opinion.

I have to add my whisky sipping mate really likes both English offerings

Not tried the one from the Lakes will look out for it, and I had very low expectations but its nice enough, I think it falls outside what I'd normally go for north of the border, so its pleasently different to my normal tipple, although to be fair I am full of a cold so had a few now for medicinal reasons which may be clouding my pallet!

• 1 month later...

Just arrived down Clydeside for another jaunt up maryhill for thistle v killie, so....

Starting with a glen livet....

But my mate has a ledaig for the weekend. ...

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

I took a detour into blended malt the other day, as it was heavily discounted. Famous Grouse's 'Smoky Black' isn't very smoky, I'm afraid. Once you realise that the bottle is tinted glass and actually pour it, it isn't very dark either (although many whiskies colour and flavour their drams with caramel). Overall, forgettable.

For the price, you can get a perfectly decent (and often better than that) single malt if you do a little research and buy the best of the supermarket 'own label' offerings. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had entered one of those duff click-on-Line web site competitions (Hey, I'm desperate) to possibly buy a case of wine, through "Virgin" & get one free. They promised 1 in 1000 would win, I entered, & won. Unfortunatly both cases arrived within 3 days, therefore I have 26 bottles of wine accessable, to an alcoholic, while my partner, and my 7 year old daughter are in London during school holidays.

Fancy a share? OOPS 21 bottles

Edited by Bleep1673

• 2 weeks later...

Another 16 yo scapa.... remains an ever present in my top 3.

Day off work.... nice walk... Nice couple of pints of Stancill. ... and now a dram of scapa....

• 2 weeks later...

Grouse ffs.... doesn't even go well in tea or coffee.....

Suppose it might get the odd stain out the carpet.....

I could chuck it on an haggis I suppose....

I'd sooner have a decent chunk of cheese given rather than a smeggin bottle of grouse.....

I've passed it on... and opened a bottle of glenfarclas

It's nearly the annual release of the year's Laphroaig Cask Strength :)  Usually out around the start of May.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

It's nearly the annual release of the year's Laphroaig Cask Strength :)  Usually out around the start of May.

Oh damn, I just ordered a bottle of the regular stuff (10yr old). I think I still have the birthday discount code they sent so always room for another bottle or two.

• 1 month later...

I got a lovely bottle of Japanese whisky, Suntory Hibiki. It has the taste of a well adjusted Speyside and really sits nicely on its own. It's too light to even think of adding any water or ice to it without drowning the flavour.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I got this last week in france.

Never tried French whisky.  It does sound a bit heretical though.  I suppose there are some decent areas with good water sources that'd provide a good base.

Try amorik from Brittany.... very pleasant very surprising.

Couldn't find any this time or I would have brought one back with me

I got this last week in france.

I never even realised the French made whisky.

I am off on my travels again tomorrow so will be checking out duty free for something to try. My BunnyHeaven and Ardberg are all gone so need something to fill a space in the drink cabinet.

I opted for a bottle of Laphroaig PX. It is a NAS whisky but is actually rather nice and has plenty of flavours going on.

The range in Basel airport departures was a bit limited but having had a couple of glasses so far I am happy enough with my purchase

• 3 weeks later...

Back on the Sainbury's own label Highland single malt. Not a great whisky, but a damn good one, and at that price, a great bargain.

Apart from last night, when I absent-mindedly put a splash of tonic water in my second dram instead of plain mineral water. Interesting, yes, but not an experience I intend to repeat!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

The wife bought me two special edition Bunnahabhain whiskies for my birthday. One I've just opened is a good bit peatier than a typical one and very enjoyable for it.

The wife bought me two special edition Bunnahabhain whiskies for my birthday. One I've just opened is a good bit peatier than a typical one and very enjoyable for it.

Which ones if you don't mind me asking?

I had a special edition bottle a year or so ago which was really nice, I think it was you or someone on here who mentioned Bunnahabhain that got me looking for a bottle to give it a try back then.