Fave Batley Team

Nick07

Seen as we are having threads about individual positions I thought it might be interesting to do a fave overall team. Not necessarily the best players, but the ones people enjoyed watching the most.

I'll start it with:

1. Craig Lingard

2. Stuart Cocker

3. Roger Sinpson

4. Danny Maun

5. Jermaine McGilviray

6. Michael Booth

7. Glen Tomlinson

8. Chris McWilliams

9. Mark Scott

10. Craig Wright

11. Tony Walton

12. Paul Gearey

13. Mick Cameron

14. Steve Parrish

15. Mark Cass

16. Alex Brown/Johnny Campbell (can't decide)

17. Dane Morgan

Ash Lindsay, Andy Spink, Jimmy Irvine and Darren Moxon (in days as a centre) also very close to being included.

That's from 89 onwards.

Hopefully a few of this year's team might make it in if we did the same in 12 months time.

1.paul storey

2.jonny campbell

3.darren moxon

4.carl gibson

5.hugh gumbs

6.michael booth

7.glen tomlinson

8.neil kellett

9.george flanagan

10.chris mcwilliams

11.sonny whakarau

12.paul gearey

13.mike kuiti

14.mark cass

15.alex brown

16.jeff grayshon

17.alex walmsley

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

For those who included Paul Geary in their team, I would ask how he attracted so much good press? It was because of the tries he scored, and those came as a result of the planned feinted long pass which Steiny then dropped into his hands, so to choose one without the other seems odd. One of our best ball players hasn't even been mentioned, in fact 2, in Brendan Cummins and John Carroll. In another thread I talked about Trevor Briggs being too good a half back for the team he had around him, and the same applied to Carroll, who had too many ideas for his colleagues to read. Anybody mentioned Dave Rippon, or our international winger Norman Field, Jackie Perry, John Etty, Bill Riches.....

I believe this is a thread about a team which we enjoyed watching most on a personal basis.not necessary the best team we have seen?

My choice might not be yours, but isn't that the idea?

And on the paul gearey comment,although many of his tries came from the famous 'move' I think my memory serves me in remembering that quite a few were scored from way out.....

And I certainly didnt enjoy watching john stainburn as much as Glen tomlinson......

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

My team

1. Linners

2. Jc

3. Roger the dodger

4. Jimmy irvine

5. Aaron murphy

6. Tommo

7. Deano

8. Craig wright

9. Lythes

10. Chris mc williams

11. Mark toohey

12. Martin mcloughlin

13. Mick cameron

14. Mark cass

15. Paul harrison

16. Dane morgan

17. Ash lindsay

How can't anyone have iro missing great player of his time also top forward with tries

Agree Il Cattivo, but not all players who achieve 'greatness' do it by themselves, they are often put into positions where they get noticed by others around them who don't get credit. 

Agree Il Cattivo, but not all players who achieve 'greatness' do it by themselves, they are often put into positions where they get noticed by others around them who don't get credit.

I wholeheartedly agree.of that there is no doubt.

But the idea of the thead is to name my (or your) favorite player in each position.not the best player.

Im sure neil pickerill set up many of carl gibsons tries but he wasn't my favorite scrum half.....

For those who included Paul Geary in their team, I would ask how he attracted so much good press? It was because of the tries he scored, and those came as a result of the planned feinted long pass which Steiny then dropped into his hands, so to choose one without the other seems odd. One of our best ball players hasn't even been mentioned, in fact 2, in Brendan Cummins and John Carroll. In another thread I talked about Trevor Briggs being too good a half back for the team he had around him, and the same applied to Carroll, who had too many ideas for his colleagues to read. Anybody mentioned Dave Rippon, or our international winger Norman Field, Jackie Perry, John Etty, Bill Riches.....

Your comment about Paul Geary seem to me to be a tad unfair.  For sure John Stainburn was his favourite scrum half but some of his tries were scored despite terrific attention from the opposition.  The fantastic Tommy Martyn benefitted from having a big no nonsense bruiser (Jack Thomas) alongside him in the second row.  I think Martyn and Geary would have been a dream pairing, with Billy Allan on the bench

for me  it would be

1) Stan Gittins - knew how to use the slope when kicking

2) Henry Oulton - kick a goal from just about anywhere and how to wind up oppo fans

3) Carl Gibson - oustanding player

4) Keith Toohey

5) Martin Whelan

6) Mick Booth

7) Glen Tomlinson

8) Alex Walmsley

9) Blind Smith

10) Paul Jarvis joker of the pack

11) Paul Gearey

12) Sonny Whakaru

13) Phild Doyle

14) John Campbell

15) Craig Lingard

16) Dave Teasdale

17) Mark Scott

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

What, no mention of legend David Brooke? I used to love to watch him smash into the opposition only to drop the ball. Boy, there was some poor handling of the ball back then ;-)

Not the best player by a long shot, but my hero as a lad...

Archived