Middle 8 Predictions

Giving Wakefield 7 games to improve and find their level is the danger here. They may slip up in week one but will quickly string a couple of wins together which they haven't done all season. They may have been getting beat but they have been preparing for this section by playing the likes of Castleford, Saints Leeds and Huddersfield in recent weeks.

I think Leigh need to get off to a flyer and win at least two of the first three. Same with Bradford, if they lose the first two it is over and SL clubs will just go through the gears. There needs to be a tangible threat of it going belly up for the likes of Salford, Wakefield and Hull KR. That only comes from getting knocked over in the first couple of weeks. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giving Wakefield 7 games to improve and find their level is the danger here. They may slip up in week one but will quickly string a couple of wins together which they haven't done all season. They may have been getting beat but they have been preparing for this section by playing the likes of Castleford, Saints Leeds and Huddersfield in recent weeks.

I think Leigh need to get off to a flyer and win at least two of the first three. Same with Bradford, if they lose the first two it is over and SL clubs will just go through the gears. There needs to be a tangible threat of it going belly up for the likes of Salford, Wakefield and Hull KR. That only comes from getting knocked over in the first couple of weeks. 

I agree, the fixture order could prove crucial. I'm not sure if this has been figured out already or is done completely at random. 

Widnes will play Leigh at home in the 8's and I certainly would rather play them a few weeks in after they've had a few weeks of hard games. Their start will be crucial, if they get Wakefield at home first game and won this could spur them on. 

Leigh have Hull KR, Bradford, Wakefield and Sheffield at home, they certainly would need to be looking to win 3/4 of these. If they win 1/3 of their away games that would be 4/7 wins and a great chance of going up.  

I think so yes, when Widnes were first relegated there were at least 2 that stayed full-time, maybe even 3 (Widnes, Leigh, Hull KR). 

Going full-time pro is one thing but there simply isn't the pool of players to sustain it across more than 12/14 clubs. Even when we had 14 clubs in licensing we struggled to have 14 competitive clubs and they all received the full sky money. There was usually a team or two that were largely whipping boys.

Leigh weren't full time in 2006 , everybody thought HKR were , but their Fans suggest otherwise , you'll know better about Widnes

Leigh weren't full time in 2006 , everybody thought HKR were , but their Fans suggest otherwise , you'll know better about Widnes

You don't know my memory!

All I know is that we were shocking when we should have been the best in the league. We lost 53-4 to Leigh early in the season IIRC.

I'm pretty sure Widnes and Cas were full time when we were fighting for SL. 

Archived