Is Slammin Sam the Real Deal?

Safe to say a few eyebrows were raised when he was appointed, with experience and off field reputation being cited.

14 games in, and the team are in the top 3 and have got to Wembley, having beaten St Helens in a Cup Quarter final and demolished Huddersfield today in the Semi. 

Is he the real deal? 

He's doing a great job so far. 

For me, we are back to Steve Price levels. Which we should never have dropped down from, but the Powell era was a car crash that was hard to predict and understand. 

So, I think we are where we broadly should be, but as we've seen, it's certainly not guaranteed. 

In terms of how I see us play, I think we are still a little conservative (despite some outstanding tries and talent - which was also seen under Price) and I worry at times we revert back into his forwards mindset, not unlike Bennett with giving the forwards too much responsibility. I'm not a fan of taking 2 as much as we do. 

I think his team is still developing, he is learning, but it's enjoyable enough at the moment, and despite having mixed feelings about him as a person (from his public image) I'm enjoying his reign so far. 

He seems to be. I was pretty sceptical about his appointment and thought Warrington were signing a name. No denying though that Burgess has done a cracking job and got Warrington playing the attractive, attacking Rugby that they became renowned for as the 2000s went on.

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Caught me out, thought I was going to be reading what Sam Barlow was up to nowadays.

I was going back further to Sam Backo .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

i've been kinda reserved on sam's appointment, and since the season started, we've got a decent coaching set up it seems, and very distinctive style of play.

you can't argue we're in a much better position, and appear to be on an upward trend.

Provided something doesn't happen, and lets all the air out before the end of this year.  When do Warrington start looking for a successor?

If we take sam at his word, when we do start interviewing for 2026

What does 'the real deal' mean for a coach?

- Achieves consistency in performances - Good progress 

- Makes finals and wins trophies - on track

- Peaks at the right end of the season - no evidence available yet

- Improves players - on track - Dufty, Walker - but too early to say

- Cohesive squad - Good progress so far. The team is definitely working well and look like they are enjoying their rugby.

- Good recruitment - some hits and misses so far. Fitzgibbon and Powell have been great additions; the Dwyer situation was poor.

- Youth development - hard to judge but willingness to play young players with lots of good game time for Hayes, Holroyd and Wood.

Obviously far too early to judge but some promising signs there.

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

The smartest thing about Burgess is he's put together a first class staff that I imagine is the envy of all other Super League clubs (with, perhaps, the exception of Wigan): 

Sam Burgess. Head Coach.
Gary Chambers. Director of Rugby.
Martin Gleeson. First Team Coach.
Richard Marshall. First Team Coach.
Ade Gardner. Head of Performance.
Kylie Leuluai. Head of Rugby Operations/Player Welfare.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

- Cohesive squad - Good progress so far. The team is definitely working well and look like they are enjoying their rugby.

- Good recruitment - some hits and misses so far. Fitzgibbon and Powell have been great additions; the Dwyer situation was poor.

- Youth development - hard to judge but willingness to play young players with lots of good game time for Hayes, Holroyd and Wood.

Can't blame him for dwyer, that was a Powell (possibly fitz) signing

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Coggo said:

The smartest thing about Burgess is he's put together a first class staff that I imagine is the envy of all other Super League clubs (with, perhaps, the exception of Wigan): 

Sam Burgess. Head Coach.
Gary Chambers. Director of Rugby.
Martin Gleeson. First Team Coach.
Richard Marshall. First Team Coach.
Ade Gardner. Head of Performance.
Kylie Leuluai. Head of Rugby Operations/Player Welfare.

Burgess never put that together, the vast majority, if not all, were there already.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

So, what's the relationship between Burgess and Gary Chambers as Director of Rugby, does one report to the other and if so, which way?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

So, what's the relationship between Burgess and Gary Chambers as Director of Rugby, does one report to the other and if so, which way?

I think Chambers is highest ranked. 

• Like 1

On 19/05/2024 at 17:22, Dave T said:

He's doing a great job so far. 

For me, we are back to Steve Price levels. Which we should never have dropped down from, but the Powell era was a car crash that was hard to predict and understand. 

So, I think we are where we broadly should be, but as we've seen, it's certainly not guaranteed. 

In terms of how I see us play, I think we are still a little conservative (despite some outstanding tries and talent - which was also seen under Price) and I worry at times we revert back into his forwards mindset, not unlike Bennett with giving the forwards too much responsibility. I'm not a fan of taking 2 as much as we do. 

I think his team is still developing, he is learning, but it's enjoyable enough at the moment, and despite having mixed feelings about him as a person (from his public image) I'm enjoying his reign so far. 

I agree at times it's route one with the big lads you have but in fairness they are bloody good at it and I think there is enough of the flair stuff with Ashton and Dufty 

I really don't understand the drop in crowds though!

6 hours ago, Just Browny said:

My Leeds first lense is firmly on here but I can only say I look on with a lot of jealousy for what is being achieved on the field at the Wolves this year so far. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

My Leeds first lense is firmly on here but I can only say I look on with a lot of jealousy for what is being achieved on the field at the Wolves this year so far. 

And this is something I have said before on here, if you get the right man things can turn around awfully quickly. It doesn't take years at one of the big clubs.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

And this is something I have said before on here, if you get the right man things can turn around awfully quickly. It doesn't take years at one of the big clubs.

Absolutely. Just 1 off season can see a massive change in a team.

The benefit of coaching a big club is that 95% of the job is taken care of already!

• Like 1