Salford new signings.

Doghead

These names were spat out by the rumour mill some time ago, and are now gathering a bit of momentum. It's expected that the club will announce a raft of new signings this week, possibly as soon as tomorrow. Other names being suggested include Gareth O'Brien, Joel Monaghan, Corey Parker, Mark Flanagan, Craig Kopczak, Nathan Massey and Justin Carney. My guess is that unless Tim Sheens possesses svengali-like man management skills, these last two are an either/or.

You'd think O'Brien and big Joel would be more than doable

Although they maybe doable, I'm not sure why Salford would. I can't see Gareth being selected ahead of Robert Lui (if confirmed) and Michael Dobson in the halves, and, similarly, I'm not sure Joel is an improvement on Greg Johnson or BJB on the wing. In fact, I don't think he's as good as either of them. Tony Smith has tried to turn him into a utility player - he seems to try this with most of his squad - but with little success. I guess I have to trust the judgement of the coaching staff, but both of these potential signings look like solutions in search of a problem.

Anyway, Penrith have confirmed on their Twitter feed that Ben Murdoch-Masila is moving to Salford. Interesting that when Marwan releases details of players leaving the club on Twitter, it's met with faux outrage amongst the semi-literate Twitterati "Your a joke. Should of let the new club announce it.", but, as yet, these guardians of the sport's morals haven't berated Penrith for doing it. I'm sure they'll get round to it though. Any time now...

Although they maybe doable, I'm not sure why Salford would. I can't see Gareth being selected ahead of Robert Lui (if confirmed) and Michael Dobson in the halves, and, similarly, I'm not sure Joel is an improvement on Greg Johnson or BJB on the wing. In fact, I don't think he's as good as either of them. Tony Smith has tried to turn him into a utility player - he seems to try this with most of his squad - but with little success. I guess I have to trust the judgement of the coaching staff, but both of these potential signings look like solutions in search of a problem.

Anyway, Penrith have confirmed on their Twitter feed that Ben Murdoch-Masila is moving to Salford. Interesting that when Marwan releases details of players leaving the club on Twitter, it's met with faux outrage amongst the semi-literate Twitterati "Your a joke. Should of let the new club announce it.", but, as yet, these guardians of the sport's morals haven't berated Penrith for doing it. I'm sure they'll get round to it though. Any time now...

I'm sure they won't. Anyway, I'll not be holding my breath.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Archived