Can we survive in the championship?

GLENNGARY

Having noticed that we have lost our best player, Andy Ackers to another championship side who happen to be full time professionals. being a semi-pro outfit can we possibly compete against the sides that  are full time. These include London, Bradford Leigh, Sheffield and I think Featherstone and Halifax. I personally think this is a big ask but I hope I am wrong, anybody else have any views, this could make an interesting topic

No doubt Glenn it will be a  tough league for us and prior to the fabulous 2 weeks we have just had (which I am certain none of us would have swopped for the option of not getting promoted) I in my odd moments thought would it be better if we had another season in league 1 to continue building, but like anything in life you need to meet the challenges ahead of you to improve - to use the cliche 'onwards and upwards'.

I am sure John Duffy will be excited at the challenge facing him as a coach in the Championship as will all the squad.

The problem with the Championship is that is does have the 'unique' issue of full time and part time squads which makes a massive differrence but again to use a cliche  you have to be in it to win it and we are in it - I assume our aim is to survive and compete

I think we can survive if the Board go after players that will be stand out in the Championship.No mean task as it costs Money.With increased gates and prize money we should be able to entice a good calibre of player to the club. Losing Ackers was unfortunate but recent signings are encouraging. I would like to see if the board could get Rob Lever on  but he looks destined for Super League in the near future, and Rhodri Lloyd would be a great addition.To be talking like this though on the forum is great and promising whatever happens!

Good morning guys. Congratulations to you, on achieving promotion, and to John Duffy - it couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke. It will be good to actually have a couple of 'Lancashire' teams to play next season - and hopefully break up the 'Yorkshire mafia' somewhat, especially when it comes to players/coaches voting for the end of season awards!

For your info, I do not believe that Featherstone or Halifax will be operating as 'full time' squads next season. Halifax have (wisely) opted to run a reserve side, on the extra cash they received from Sky/the RFL. It could well be that both these clubs will employ players in their clubs during the week, but that's not the same as training 'full time' together.

Anyway, it will be great to play both yourselves and Oldham again - it definitely will add somewhat more meaningful 'local derbies' than Halifax and Whitehaven!

Not unlike this season in League 1, it feels as though there are two, or possibly three leagues within one - with the full-timers looking to the qualifiers and Super League, the mid-teams looking to build a base from which increased funding might provide a base to consider a shot at full-time and the bottom sides looking to stay up and become 'a Championship club'.

From what we hear, the Board have a 2-3 year plan that involves consolidation (and therefore increased funding) and a move back to Swinton. Which, let's face it, ultimately we're sunk without. Without knowing the specifics of the business model, that sounds like a sensible strategy.

Would we have benefited from a further, consolidating season in League 1? Possibly, but it's moot now. I wouldn't swap either the excitement of last season (is it last season now?), the evident bond between players, fans and club and the rare momentum club's generate when 'on the up'. While I think Oldham were unarguably a better side than us last season, the ongoing troubles they have with the ground, between fans and board and, losing two very good players this week, I'd rather be in our shoes than theirs.

Get ourselves into a Worky, 'haven, Oldham, Batley mini-league, and third out of five would be another massive step forwards.

Agree with the commenter above - that we are discussing this here, and in broadly positive terms (have you seen some of the other clubs' threads?) has only got to be to the greater good :-)

The Championship, the 2nd tier of the game the UK.

A league, which in reality, is actually two leagues in one, one for the 'haves' (FT) and one for the 'have nots' (PT).

No such thing as a 'level playing field' nowadays and that's one of the main things wrong in my view (no doubt you'll all shoot me down quickly).

Also in MY view, the Australianisation of the game in this country, a country that has given so many great things in all fields of endeavour including both codes of rugby football, is THE major factor why the unique Britishness has gone from our sport. In recent times, not just in rugby league, the word 'British' has become a dirty word.

We have kowtowed to the Aussies for far too long. Let's re-assert ourselves before it's too late.

I think it's great that Leigh and Sheffield have gone full-time and that we may soon see promotion and relegation (though the system is heavily weighted in favour of the incumbent SL clubs).

Unless you want licensing to come in the only way to avoid such a split of PT and FT clubs would be to ban professionalism outside SL which would be disastrous for the sport and kill off ambitious clubs.

Yes they'll probably put 50+ points on us and we won't have a single walkover win like this year against all the expansion clubs but that's what it's all about. I can't wait to see the lads test themselves against a higher standard of opponent. How exciting is it that we'll go and see our side play Bradford in a league game? For the older generation that used to be a regular thing but for us young 'uns it's something we thought we'd never see.

Bring it on.

Archived