LEIGH 24 LEEDS 7

Trojan

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to all you thread assisins, but back to OP.

It was a great game, I am a Leigh fan, in '71, I was 18 years old, on my first trip to both Wembley and Spending the Weekend in London having a great time, and winning the Challenge Cup was the icing on the cake.

Master tactician Murphy used what was at his disposal to win the game, we could say he out thought all the Leeds team and management.

Isn't perspective a wonderful debating point!

I have no complaints at the result and Leigh deserved the win.Murphy used the trauma that Leeds were going through at the time to his advantage ,by that I mean when It was announced that the late great Mick Shoebottom would not be playing as well as Alan Smith and Ray Batten he said ' we'll lickem now now those three are out.Mick Shoebottom never played again and had a stroke in the operating theatre and it was touch and go ,The whole Leeds team knew that and wether Murphy knew it too I don't know,but they did lick Leeds like he said and fare enough.Seven years later Leeds used a similar tragedy to their advantage when they had a fatality when Chris Sanderson died on the field and in came Kevin Dick and it inspired the team in the1977 cup final.Leigh were a good side in that season and deserved their win

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Why

certainly not every day of the week.Neil Fox was an all time great RL player and should have been on the plinth Murphy was also an all time great and when we are talking about players of their class you can't say who was better

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

I have no complaints at the result and Leigh deserved the win.Murphy used the trauma that Leeds were going through at the time to his advantage ,by that I mean when It was announced that the late great Mick Shoebottom would not be playing as well as Alan Smith and Ray Batten he said ' we'll lickem now now those three are out.Mick Shoebottom never played again and had a stroke in the operating theatre and it was touch and go ,The whole Leeds team knew that and wether Murphy knew it too I don't know,but they did lick Leeds like he said and fare enough.Seven years later Leeds used a similar tragedy to their advantage when they had a fatality when Chris Sanderson died on the field and in came Kevin Dick and it inspired the team in the1977 cup final.Leigh were a good side in that season and deserved their win

Thanks for that FCG very informative, as an aside, in the late 90's I was in an airport in Turkey and sat very close to me there was a frail looking gentleman although very smart in grey slacks and blazer, when he turned in my direction I recognised the crest on his blazer as being the R.L. British Lions, unfortunately the gentleman could not converse with me when I approached him but his companion informed me he was the great Mick Shoebottom, it was a pleasure to shake his hand, and although he could not speak I am sure he truly understood when I was reminiscing about the era he played in. Sadley I don't believe that we saw the best Mick could have become, I am sure he would have stood shoulder to shoulder with all the greats who have played RL had his career took its full course.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Thanks for that FCG very informative, as an aside, in the late 90's I was in an airport in Turkey and sat very close to me there was a frail looking gentleman although very smart in grey slacks and blazer, when he turned in my direction I recognised the crest on his blazer as being the R.L. British Lions, unfortunately the gentleman could not converse with me when I approached him but his companion informed me he was the great Mick Shoebottom, it was a pleasure to shake his hand, and although he could not speak I am sure he truly understood when I was reminiscing about the era he played in. Sadley I don't believe that we saw the best Mick could have become, I am sure he would have stood shoulder to shoulder with all the greats who have played RL had his career took its full course.

in the 1980s we used to go in the Red Lion in Hunslet on our way to away games Sunday lunch and Mick used to come in very quiet sat alone ,we used to acknowledge him and he used to smile at us as we were having fun .I went to Headingley when they buried his ashes many of the 1970 Ashes winning team were there.RIP Mick

JAMIE PEACOCK

I merely reported your personally offensive post. You know, the one where you called me a coward and a traitor.

I was referring to your tendency to sneer. 

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

certainly not every day of the week.Neil Fox was an all time great RL player and should have been on the plinth Murphy was also an all time great and when we are talking about players of their class you can't say who was better

Fox was better because he wasn't a cheat.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Another thing to bear in mind regarding winter rugby is the climate. Nowadays winters are far warmer than they were 30 years ago or more, so far less cancelled games. I would personally prefer a season starting in Nov and ending in June/July, thus we'd get winter and summer, as well as the lucrative boxing day and NYD

I am in the 21st century. It is purely a personal view but summer rugby has been bad for the game.  If Union can grow their crowds from 2 men and a dog watching Saracens in 1995 to what they are now playing winter rugby, why can't we do the same?  It's been a sunny clear afternoon today, ideal for rugby, but there wasn't any to watch.

League Express has run an editorial this week to tell us the poor weather vindicates a move towards summer.

We start in Winter however when the editorial suggests it is cold, wet, dark and RL will suffer from both Union and Soccer entering exciting phases of their own seasons.

The editorial reminds us the original Superleague season started on the 29th. March 1996 and declares that "since then the season has moved back almost two months into winter, we would like to see that trend reversed for the good of the game"........

From a completely selfish stance, my objection to Summer Rugby was not the move of the big lads who get paid but the amatuer game.

I once had a full calendar of Rugby League to follow, spectate, debate, enjoy the camaraderie, and to meet up with friends and advisories alike from other clubs, now I have to put up with near on 4 months being deprived of my well missed fix.

As I said a selfish stance, no doubt others have their own respect of the situation.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Archived