Premier v Sky

I've subscribed to Premier and will be cancelling Sky. Why?

Well look at the price difference. I enjoy my rugby league and under no circumstances will slag off the product Super League and UK rugby produces. It's simply because of the product on TV which is poor in comparasion to Premier.

I watch one or two SL games Sky show a week and football (probably a live game every two weeks) but not enough other sports to justify paying 25 notes a month.

The Sky presenters are average and offer little when it comes to their views on the game and I'm sure I'm not the only one (this may be seen as tedious), but the opening sequence to RL games really grinds my gears.

Is the Sky budget that bad that RL can't afford to have a new opening sequence?

I'm a little unclear what the issue is here. Is it that Sky is more expensive than Premier? You state that you pay £25 a month for Sky (really?) and watch 1 or 2 SL games per week. That's about 6 games a month or £4 per game. Seems pretty good value to me. Throw in occasional football and it's even better. If you went to a SL game it would cost you £25 just to get in once, so a whole month for £25 seems pretty good.

So you also don't like the presenters. So you'll ditch Sky?

You also say you don't like the opening sequence. How about tuning in 2 minutes later?

Sometimes RL 'fans' seem to enjoy complaining about almost everything. What was RL coverage like before Sky's poor value, poorly presented, poor opening sequence output? I can tell you the answer; virtually nothing. A few challenge cup games on BBC and GB internationals, the JPS trophy on BBC 2, A highlights programme called Scrumdown on Yorkshire TV on Sunday night.

Fair enough if you don't want Sky then don't have it, though you seem to be enjoying it and getting good value out of it to me.

I'm a little unclear what the issue is here. Is it that Sky is more expensive than Premier? You state that you pay £25 a month for Sky (really?) and watch 1 or 2 SL games per week. That's about 6 games a month or £4 per game. Seems pretty good value to me. Throw in occasional football and it's even better. If you went to a SL game it would cost you £25 just to get in once, so a whole month for £25 seems pretty good.

So you also don't like the presenters. So you'll ditch Sky?

You also say you don't like the opening sequence. How about tuning in 2 minutes later?

Sometimes RL 'fans' seem to enjoy complaining about almost everything. What was RL coverage like before Sky's poor value, poorly presented, poor opening sequence output? I can tell you the answer; virtually nothing. A few challenge cup games on BBC and GB internationals, the JPS trophy on BBC 2, A highlights programme called Scrumdown on Yorkshire TV on Sunday night.

Fair enough if you don't want Sky then don't have it, though you seem to be enjoying it and getting good value out of it to me.

There's a massive difference between lacing Sky's back pockets and going to a live game. I won't go in detail why, but seeing my cash go towards my club is massively more important.

The problem is Sky need a overhaul of their programming, especially when it comes to RL. 4 quid a game to hear Stevo and Eddie talk repetitive dross is hard work.

Just to add, it's an extra £25.50 to add Sky Sports to your package. Pricey when you don't enjoy the content.

According to their site Fox also shows:

Barclay's Premier League

• FOX SPORTS
  • All 380 games
  • Up to 10 games LIVE each week with no ad-breaks during play

The UK isn't allowed to broadcast the Saturday afternoon games, because of the fear that it might have an impact on attendances. Sky wasn't even allowed to show the first ten minutes of a Real Madrid-Barcelona game.

I don't think that there has never really been any real desire or demand over here for more televised RL games. People here seem to be perfectly happy with two games a week. Showing every game every week seems like overkill to me.

Archived