Premier v Sky

I'm considering binning off Sky Sports and getting Premier Sports back for the first time in 2 years. I love Super League but as you've stated, the NRL has much better coverage and they show every game.

They are showing 3 Nrl shows on top of the games,The Footy Show won't be to everyone's taste but Sterlo and Matty Johns ones are very good.

In this country, i just dont find RL fans very loyal.

As a Wire fan and a fan of the game in this country, i dont really want to watch stuff from the other side of the world between teams i have no alleigance to.

Always looking for reasons not to support our game, whether that is on the terraces or on Sky or BBC.

What if sky don't show any of your team. Sky use to show a lot more actual games. Instead it's more and more magazine programmes than games. There are many other ways to support our game than lining Murdoch's and premier shop footballers pockets

That's not true at the moment. All the coverage is live games - there are no magazine programmes on Sky for RL

Personally I think sport should be available to all.But that's not the case.I just prefer watching my club(Oldham) with my season ticket. Sod sky or premier. If the odd bit a rugby league is on terrestrial TV ie-challenge cup I'll happily tune in.But whilst I do like most sports in general its rugby league and boxing,the latter being mainly pay per view. It just wouldn't be worth the outlay for me.It is my view that the only reason sky etc charge the prices they do for subscription is because people are daft enough to pay it.If everyone stopped they're subscription they'd soon change their prices.(that's my view anyway).

What if sky don't show any of your team. Sky use to show a lot more actual games. Instead it's more and more magazine programmes than games. There are many other ways to support our game than lining Murdoch's and premier shop footballers pockets

Sky probably show as many games as ever, if not more. They only had nrl for a spell.

They show around 10 games per month, plus Magic and Summer bash, plus some cup games.

For much of the season there are three live games a week.

Sky probably show as many games as ever, if not more. They only had nrl for a spell.

They show around 10 games per month, plus Magic and Summer bash, plus some cup games.

For much of the season there are three live games a week.

Still not very good. Out here Channel 9 (free) shows 3 live NRL games, SOO, Tests involving OZ, 4Ns and WCs, and 1 game/week from the National Schools comp. Fox Sports (pay satellite) shows the other 5 NRL games live, repeats the 3 Channel 9 games as soon as Channel 9 finishes them, shows the Pacific Tests, 2 live U20s games, a 1 live Q Cup and 1 NSW Cup game, as well as the 2 or 3 SL games each week. All the senior games are repeated at least 3 times during the week on Fox Sports.

Last year the National Indigenous TV (free) was showing some aboriginal tournaments plus delayed games (1/week) from the NZ domestic comp.

I think that's 17 games a week.

Still not very good. Out here Channel 9 (free) shows 3 live NRL games, SOO, Tests involving OZ, 4Ns and WCs, and 1 game/week from the National Schools comp. Fox Sports (pay satellite) shows the other 5 NRL games live, repeats the 3 Channel 9 games as soon as Channel 9 finishes them, shows the Pacific Tests, 2 live U20s games, a 1 live Q Cup and 1 NSW Cup game, as well as the 2 or 3 SL games each week. All the senior games are repeated at least 3 times during the week on Fox Sports.

Last year the National Indigenous TV (free) was showing some aboriginal tournaments plus delayed games (1/week) from the NZ domestic comp.

But you are comparing the UK and Ireland (where Rugby League is not particularly popular) to Australia, where it is incredibly popular.

Sky probably show 17 games of football a week over here, as that sport is very popular.

3 live games a week is pretty good I feel, given how small the professional tier is (only 6 games in total).

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

But you are comparing the UK and Ireland (where Rugby League is not particularly popular) to Australia, where it is incredibly popular.

Sky probably show 17 games of football a week over here, as that sport is very popular.

3 live games a week is pretty good I feel, given how small the professional tier is (only 6 games in total).

According to their site Fox also shows:

Barclay's Premier League

• FOX SPORTS
  • All 380 games
  • Up to 10 games LIVE each week with no ad-breaks during play

plus

FA Cup

• ESPN
  • LIVE coverage of the FA Cup

FFA Cup

• FOX SPORTS
  • LIVE and exclusive coverage

AFC Champions League

• FOX SPORTS
  • Live and exclusive coverage

Major League Soccer

• ESPN
  • LIVE or on short turnaround

As well as Eurosport showing some Portugese and South American games. This is all included in the sport package with the NRL and AFL.

I've subscribed to Premier and will be cancelling Sky. Why?

Well look at the price difference. I enjoy my rugby league and under no circumstances will slag off the product Super League and UK rugby produces. It's simply because of the product on TV which is poor in comparasion to Premier.

I watch one or two SL games Sky show a week and football (probably a live game every two weeks) but not enough other sports to justify paying 25 notes a month.

The Sky presenters are average and offer little when it comes to their views on the game and I'm sure I'm not the only one (this may be seen as tedious), but the opening sequence to RL games really grinds my gears.

Is the Sky budget that bad that RL can't afford to have a new opening sequence?

Very rough count on their listings and I make it 27 live games this week.  And about another 40 from BT.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The TV sporting environment in the UK and Australia is very, very different - with pretty much no 'regular' live sport on terrestrial free to air tv. 

Pay TV takes all the sports over here, so Sky don't need to compete with the terrestrial channels like Fox does over there.

All NRL games for c£70 including Origin and magazine programmes.  It's for nothing.

Because they show all the games then you can pick and choose who you want to watch each week.  I tend to watch the games with the English players in.  And the standard and excitement is superb because most of the teams are so close in ability.

Also, one probably gets a more balanced view of the RL world when you watch it at all professional levels...

SOO > NRL > SL > Championship

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

Also, one probably gets a more balanced view of the RL world when you watch it at all professional levels...

SOO > NRL > SL > Championship

Yep. I get all the NRL games but I always watch SL too.

NRL also available through most bookmakers too, provided you have an account and a balance of at least one penny.

Completely irrelevant but, after the 3 NRL teams won by 13+ I certainly have more than 1 penny in my account.

Archived