Players you would sign

Pick any 3 from a bunch of experienced halves currently playing in the championship (who we probably have overlooked over the last few years in search of something more suited to take us to the next level lol).......

20 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Coolie won't be happy.

According to Coolie 

losing players to Featherstone won't exactly be a novelty will it.. Few seasons back it was a yearly occurrence, 

I like Beckett and have been following his play for the last couple of years.Good tackler and passer of the ball he always puts in 100%.Probably not heavy enough for a prop or middle.I see him in the second row.

Most of the names mentioned seem to be at a realistic level and probably the type we are looking at in our current financial position.

This is going slightly off tangent, but more important for me is whether we can keep hold of our stronger players - the likes of Aekins, Jones, Springer, Addy, Turner, Gale and one or two others. Mark Campbell commented that our budget would probably be lower again next year if attendances don't improve, and there are other Championship clubs who are probably in a position to be at least as competitive as us these days.

On the subject of budgets PH if our budgets does go down further it is likely to cause an even further drop in attendances,and therefore revenue.  Instead of MC being negative why are we not putting more effort into marketing our club instead,of just letting the club drift along possibly into league 1 and dare I say it obscurity. 

• Like 3

Just now, Michael Bates said:

I thought we were self sustainable? 😂

We should be in a much better position than many teams as we own our own ground and don't have to pay rent.Also we can keep match day profits from bars etc.With no chance of promotion i think we must go down the younger players route.The attendances will fall as Haskey states without Rovers being a top four team.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

We should be in a much better position than many teams as we own our own ground and don't have to pay rent.Also we can keep match day profits from bars etc.With no chance of promotion i think we must go down the younger players route.The attendances will fall as Haskey states without Rovers being a top four team.

Apparently bought Millennium House to demolish to make a road by back of 'away' stand so houses can be built towards cricket field,will this benefit the club money wise? What's the 2 million pounds been spent on ? Surely new lights or even bulbs could be bought and the PO Rd upgraded with barriers. The silence from the club is deafening.

Edited by Fevrover
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, haskey said:

On the subject of budgets PH if our budgets does go down further it is likely to cause an even further drop in attendances,and therefore revenue.  Instead of MC being negative why are we not putting more effort into marketing our club instead,of just letting the club drift along possibly into league 1 and dare I say it obscurity. 

What marketing steps should they take, bearing in mind that finances are clearly tight at the moment?

I don’t think aekins will be at the club next year, that’s why we’re linked with turner and O’Connor who can both play full back 

as for forwards o can’t see Massey going round again but we said that about koppy many times, hopefully addy stays along with lacans and jones so we can keep some of the core together 

id be more intrested in keeping wynne and minikin who have been the stand out backs for me this year 

I am not a marketing expert PH but it is a tool that Rovers should be using., especially as we own our ground. Could we use the grounds all the year round instead of just during the season ? JC in the post above has the right idea we have assets use them for the good of the club.Also as MC is standing down and no doubt his contributions will cease ,we should be activity trying to nurture a future chief exec. with some financial clout behind him. They are surely around all we need is a concerted push by the top team . 

14 hours ago, haskey said:

Also as MC is standing down and no doubt his contributions will cease ,we should be activity trying to nurture a future chief exec. with some financial clout behind him. They are surely around all we need is a concerted push by the top team . 

IIRC, Mark has on more than one occasion tried to get additional support on the board to boost finances. The failed Probiz attempt and the addition of Steven Clough being two. I'd suggest that if there were a queue of multi-millionaire Fev fans about, we'd have known about it by now.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

15 hours ago, jamescolin said:

As I have said before use all assets to generate income. Not only in the season but all year.

Such as having the clubhouse hold regular events, be available for booking for parties, weddings, company training etc? Perhaps we could host amateur rugby events, finals days, even expand into hosting similar events for local football. How about hiring out the training facilities to other clubs, or looking to build on the land to generate income.

All of these, and more have been done. I'm not going to suggest that this is a definitive list, but you make it sound as if the current board have been twiddling their thumbs for the last 15+ years.

• Like 7

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

56 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Such as having the clubhouse hold regular events, be available for booking for parties, weddings, company training etc? Perhaps we could host amateur rugby events, finals days, even expand into hosting similar events for local football. How about hiring out the training facilities to other clubs, or looking to build on the land to generate income.

All of these, and more have been done. I'm not going to suggest that this is a definitive list, but you make it sound as if the current board have been twiddling their thumbs for the last 15+ years.

I agree, the club has been very proactive in using the facilities, and this one aspect where we are very good.

2 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I agree, the club has been very proactive in using the facilities, and this one aspect where we are very good.

Yes the club does lots of things to utilise the facilities both during and outside the season

4 hours ago, gazza77 said:

Indeed, not to mention what appear to have been some very commendable levels of sponsorship achieved in recent years.

We undoubtedly overstretched ourselves in terms of spending over the last couple of years in a vain attempt to reach SL before it went out of reach, but criticism of fundraising seems a bit unfair given we managed spends of in the region of £1m on central funding of under £100k and gates of under 3,000.

• Like 2

Anyway getting back on topic...I'd be having a close look at some of the London players, you'd presume they won't be staying full time and some of them might be ready for a move back up north. Rob Butler and Lewis Bienek would be two obvious ones but suspect they'll get SL attention, maybe Josh Rourke who suffered a broken leg in pre-season but looked very impressive for Whitehaven last season. Their most promising player Bill Leyland is also out for the season with a bad injury but suspect he'll be either picked up by a SL club or he'll stay down there as he's a southern-based player.

Talking of Whitehaven, Edene Gebbie ripped us to shreds up at their place, but I'd want to see a bit more evidence on him, haven't heard much about how he's played since then as there were rumours he took a long time to get fit at the start of the season and we've been down that road before.

Posted (edited)

To be honest don't really take notice of opposition when we play them but watching him on telly last year Barrow number 7 looked lively and up for it and as an aside  Wakey just resigned Johnstone for next year so  our old nemesis Walmsley may become available

Edited by POR

17 hours ago, POR said:

To be honest don't really take notice of opposition when we play them but watching him on telly last year Barrow number 7 looked lively and up for it and as an aside  Wakey just resigned Johnstone for next year so  our old nemesis Walmsley may become available

I think Walmsley will get a shot with them in SL, I can't see them keeping a past his best McGillvary over him.

Club not blessed with spare cash hence the ticket offer for the remaining 9 home games.See they have reinstated concessions at £135 back to £15.So we sign Eden who we don't really need and he can't play because he is injured. Hope we are not paying his wages until he starts playing,