2016 NRL Match Thread - Round 21 - Retro Round

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurrell over but held up!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Titans miss their attempt!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

and that's a draw. Good game, Titans.

So the winning streak becomes an undefeated streak!

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

Thought you weren't watching?

Shhhh...

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

Neither side deserved to lose that. Epic.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

For anyone who may have been confused by the Cows and Warriors wearing their Women in League jumpers during the Retro Round, here's why: Retro Round was a promotion by Fox Sports, not an official NRL themed round. This week is NRL-official Women in League Round and the Cows and Warriors will be playing away so they chose to flog their WIL strips last game.

Haven't watched the game yet. Found this have to admit it was the same with the Warriors\Panthers game commentators stating  players off side and referees just ignoring it

Dear Todd,

Like many fans and quite a few of the NRL coaches, I sincerely hope we’ve seen the last golden point game for 2016. But if we are to be subjected to another farcical 10 minutes like we saw on the Gold Coast last night then I’ve got a suggestion for you . . . how about we send the referees home at full-time because they sure as hell aren’t making any contribution in extra-time.

Mr Shortall and Mr Sutton simply put their whistles away last night and threw the rules out the window as players from both sides spent the entire 10 minutes offside on chargedowns, holding each other down in tackles and pushing the refs to the limit because they knew a penalty would not be blown.

If match officials aren’t going to do their job and blow legitimate penalties that could hand a team a win in golden point then there’s no point having them on the field.

Even before we got to golden point last night the blokes in the bunker went missing when Jason Bukuya was dragged back by a Titans player on a kick chase in the 72nd minute but Sutton merely ordered a line dropout and let that one slide as well.

Never mind the fact David Mead had been sin binned in the first half for holding Michael Ennis back on a chase! It’s clear that the more frantic the game becomes in the dying stages the more frazzled your officials become.

If the video boys lack the courage to get in a ref’s ear and tell him a penalty should be awarded in a situation like that hen you could save on some power and switch off those giant TV screens in the bunker and send them home early as well.

One of the big selling points of the extra-time lottery in 2003 was that fans crave a result and they love the drama of golden point. And yet if we don’t get a winner in golden point you call it a draw anyway and go back to the result you had before the 10 minutes of madness! How does that make any sense?

If you’re so convinced that fans want a result then you have to keep playing until you get one.

Common sense has at least prevailed for this year’s finals, where a full 10 minutes of extra-time will be played before we go to golden point.

We need a result in finals so extra-time is a must but golden point should be scrapped during the regular season so both teams can walk away with a well-earned point before players, fans and coaches are subjected to 10 minutes of frantic footy which bears no resemblance to the 80 that went before it.

Regards

Martin Lenehan

Editor in Chief

Rugby League Week

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Archived