Scott's Wishes

Dave Naylor

Sunday evening,  January 31 and Oldham coach Scott Naylor is sat at home staring at the Law Cup trophy his team won that very afternoon.  The Roughyeds brushed aside the Hairnets easy enough but the Championship campaign, due to begin in seven day's time, is going to be tough.  Thoughts of games against his home town Leigh and former club Bradford are swirling round his mind.

In the soft light of his living room,  Naylor notices a bit of tarnish on the old cup so he rubs the surface with his sleeve.  POOF, out of nowhere a big puff of smoke appears and a big hairy Genie winds its way up to loom over the shocked Lancastrian.

"I am the Genie of the Law Cup.  It's been a few years since I last came out of the cupboard and so you have three Rugby League wishes.  What do you desire oh stubbly one?"

In a state of shock, all the trembling coach can utter is "Erm, I dunno, erm, well how about we finish out of the bottom two when the regular season finishes?"  

"DONE" booms the Genie.  "What else?"

"How about the bottom two are the Cumbrian Teams and we're two wins clear of them going in to the Shield games" says Scott, recovering his composure.

"DONE" booms the Genie.  "And your final wish?"

Scott thinks and says "How about we beat Leeds away in the Challenge Cup?"

"Don't take the mickey Naylor" the Genie retorts.

"OK" Scott replies, "How about Hull KR or somebody?"

"DONE" comes the Genie's reply and with that he was gone. 

Now sat in silence, Scott thinks about his wish choices and mumbles to himself "Blimey, I should have wished that we would sign Leigh's new half-back, the former man of steel winner."   A disembodied voice floats out of the trophy still held between Scott's hands.  "Who needs Rangi, we've got Pal-frey".  

Archived