Bring Back the Charity Shield

This got me wondering who are the current holders of the Shield.

According to Wikipedia its Leeds Rhinos.

The venues are also interesting in light of some of the comments on here

Isle of Man the first 4 games

Anfield

Vetch Field Swansea

Gateshead 2 games

Then a two year gap before the last time it was contested at the Royal Showground Dublin.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I like some of the ideas I've read. However, with the World Club Challenge already at the start of the season, how about the opening season fixture being the grand final rematch as has been suggested, and making the Charity Shield match form part of the magic weekend fixtures?

Just a thought.

Also, what happens if the Challenge Cup winners and the Grand Final winners are one and the same team? Would they play the GF runners up or the CC runners up?

I like some of the ideas I've read. However, with the World Club Challenge already at the start of the season, how about the opening season fixture being the grand final rematch as has been suggested, and making the Charity Shield match form part of the magic weekend fixtures?

Just a thought.

Also, what happens if the Challenge Cup winners and the Grand Final winners are one and the same team? Would they play the GF runners up or the CC runners up?

There could be a case then for moving the WCC to two weeks after  the GF,  then maybe England teams will be in a stronger position to beat the Aus clubs..mind that would effect international matches...as someone else said League leaders shield   should be included as not enough importance is given to it...so would prefer LLS v GF . 

On televising got to be a terrestrial channel League needs to be seen by a wider audience as possible.  Not saying has to be BBC...if they do perhaps they can have a different set of opening credits.. the CC n 4 Nations was identical. 

Archived