Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bowes

Midlands League 2017

Recommended Posts

That works when we have one big midlands division of ten with three strong teams. Doesn't work when we have a six team league with three strong teams 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bowes said:

That works when we have one big midlands division of ten with three strong teams. Doesn't work when we have a six team league with three strong teams 

So why have two divisions, have one and when it comes to the play offs at the end off the season split it into two groups, top half for the best prize and the bottom half for a continuation cup, when I left the army the West Yorkshire Sunday league had divisions with up to 20 teams in them.


Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marauder said:

So why have two divisions, have one and when it comes to the play offs at the end off the season split it into two groups, top half for the best prize and the bottom half for a continuation cup, when I left the army the West Yorkshire Sunday league had divisions with up to 20 teams in them.

Can't argue with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marauder said:

So why have two divisions, have one and when it comes to the play offs at the end off the season split it into two groups, top half for the best prize and the bottom half for a continuation cup, when I left the army the West Yorkshire Sunday league had divisions with up to 20 teams in them.

Thats what we had for a good number of years and was successful... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

Thats what we had for a good number of years and was successful... 

Seems the simple answer and they'll get 22 league games, 12 teams can be split into 3 x 4 team end of season cup competitions, gives everyone something to play for.


Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looking at the scores today and looks like split into 2 divisions has paid dividends today as not one blow out score , all the games bar one looked like they could have gone either way with 1 or 2 scores the difference and the other game was only 18 pts in it

  • Like 2

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Leamington have dropped out of the premier division as well leaving three teams. Luckily there should be a new format in place for next season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bowes said:

Sounds like Leamington have dropped out of the premier division as well leaving three teams. Luckily there should be a new format in place for next season 

Leicester have too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the whole amateur game is in freefall in large parts of the country.

When i think back where the MRL was 6 or 7 years ago it's disappointing to see where it is now.

  • Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tim2 said:

Looks like the whole amateur game is in freefall in large parts of the country.

When i think back where the MRL was 6 or 7 years ago it's disappointing to see where it is now.

I moved to the Midlands for the 2013 season and there's been a noticeable decline in players and juniors since then. I think the Midlands Academy doesn't help either. It means players who would otherwise make good club players having gone through the juniors somewhere instead train with Midlands. Once that finishes and they inevitably don't get contracts with anyone, they are lost to the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Defender1 said:

Someone somewhere needs to get a grip of the whole situation IMO it's getting beyond worrying 

I suggest playing in a season which doesn't have to many distractions - we've just lost our U8'S & U9'S, I can't believe they want to play a sport in the winter when it's cold, dark and damp.

  • Like 1

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Defender1 said:

Move to where?

would that not see the league disappear?

There is talk of East and West conferences under the Conference League South banner next year I believe.

Edited by Saint 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Will Coventry and Northampton moving up a level help or hinder?

Massively help. Leicester, Leamington and Telford could then reform in an expanded division 1 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its not been a great season at all in the midlands as quite a few clubs have struggled for players including my club when we have only on 2 occasions had the luxury of subs but still completed the season , hopefully next season will look better as  a few of the u-16's will step up  and with a ramped up off season recruitment campaign also give us a bigger player base to work on, which when you looked back 6 - 7 years ago there was a healthy junior competition in the midlands but with the loss of community coaches , it was allowed to die off as only a few of the clubs had enough volunteers in place to keep junior rugby going . With juniors Ravens are back to where we were 6 years ago due to hard work of Jason Spafford and also getting 6 level 2 coaches in the club which is seeing 50 plus juniors on a sunday over all age ranges and with not having to rely on community coaches

  • Like 5

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, redditchbulldog said:

its not been a great season at all in the midlands as quite a few clubs have struggled for players including my club when we have only on 2 occasions had the luxury of subs but still completed the season , hopefully next season will look better as  a few of the u-16's will step up  and with a ramped up off season recruitment campaign also give us a bigger player base to work on, which when you looked back 6 - 7 years ago there was a healthy junior competition in the midlands but with the loss of community coaches , it was allowed to die off as only a few of the clubs had enough volunteers in place to keep junior rugby going . With juniors Ravens are back to where we were 6 years ago due to hard work of Jason Spafford and also getting 6 level 2 coaches in the club which is seeing 50 plus juniors on a sunday over all age ranges and with not having to rely on community coaches

I went to the festival (I coach the Outlaws juniors) a few weeks ago that NEW Ravens hosted at Kings Norton, and was really impressed with the number of kids that NEW Ravens had. You just have to hope that enough of those players go on to make the transition to senior rugby! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Marauder said:

I suggest playing in a season which doesn't have to many distractions - we've just lost our U8'S & U9'S, I can't believe they want to play a sport in the winter when it's cold, dark and damp.

Our juniors are more than happy playing in summer, just a shame it's in Yorkshire and not in a vibrant Midlands setup.

7 hours ago, bowes said:

The premier division already has 

No it hasn't! There's two teams left standing! It could be the first ever league won by the team who can turn up every week.

Edited by tim2
  • Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/07/2017 at 10:53 AM, bowes said:

Massively help. Leicester, Leamington and Telford could then reform in an expanded division 1 

Sorry if I confused anybody, I know I spoke to bowes.  Northampton and Coventry Dragons are on the list of applicants for the Eastern Division of the new Southern RL Conference.

Would the Midlands go back to one long division like it was before?  After Leicester folded, it seems like they're the only two on steady ground and they both want to move up.

Edited by bbfaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the 3 East Rugby League Cup Finals a couple of weeks ago at Hemel Hempstead.  Got talking to a chap from one of the clubs about next year and what was happening.  He gave me a piece of paper with what his clubs thinks will happen. A quick breakdown is 

Premier East
LONDON CHARGERS 
HAMMERSMITH 
WEST WARRIERS 
LONDON SKOLARS 
EAST RHINOS 
HEMEL STAGS
NORTH HERTS CRUSADERS
 
Premier West
COVENTRY 
LEICESTER 
NORTHAMPTON 
LEAMINGTON
ST IVES
BEDFORD
 
Remaining teams to make up Division 1 East and Division 1 West
St Albans Centurions
Brentwood Eels
Surrey Sharks
Richmond
Derby City
Northampton A
Birmingham
Worcester
Boston
Sherwood Wolf
Milton Keynes
Luton Vipers
Cambridge
Kings Lynn
Bedford A
Hemel A
 
He said it is based on what they have heard from some clubs and a bit of speculation - so who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard:

Coventry Dragons

Northampton Demons

Hemel Stags A

London Chargers

Wests Warriors

London Skolars A

And then presumably three regions below.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some of that is wishful thinking, Jasper.  This is probably for the CLS thread though.

What has been circulated to clubs is the following:  my comments

  1. Two Premier Divisions - Western and Eastern - of 8 to 10 teams   though probably starting at 6 to 8
  2. Regional Division 1s of 6 to 8 teams, representing the current six regions; Wales, South West and West of England feed to the Western Premier - Midlands, East and London & SE feed to the Eastern Premier.
  3. Regional Division 2s to be organised/reorganised as merit competitions with the top placed team/teams to get entry into the Division 1 playoffs.  how very Brazilian!
       Western Premier             Eastern Premier
            |                            |
    +-------+-------+          +---------+---------+
    |       |       |          |         |         |
    |       |       |          |         |         |
  Wales 1  SW 1   West 1   Midlands 1   East 1   London 1
    |       |       |          |         |         |
    |       |       |          |         |         |
  Wales 2  SW 2   West 2   Midlands 2   East 2   London 2

 

They had 14 expressions of interest last month.

  • Western: Bath RL, Cheltenham, Cornish Rebels, Devon, Oxford Cavs, Somerset, Swindon, Torfaen
  • Eastern: Coventry Dragons, Northampton, Hemel, Wests, Chargers, Skolars A.

They have rules in mind for entry that are:

  • Committee-related (proven administrators that need references from league committees)
  • success-related (finishing in the top three of your league - doesn't say across how long a tenure)
  • tenure-related (completed at least two seasons in a recognised fixtured competition)
  • monetary-related (need to provide costed budgets, especially for travel), and
  • facility-related (written agreement to use facilities that meet a minimum standard).

 

Beyond that, nobody is going really know anything until September, as the deadline for formal applications is 31st August.

Having a quick look at the criteria, they may have to more loosely apply the rules than they probably want to.  Coventry, Northampton, Wests and Chargers will be fine but Skolars A have been a bit flaky the last few years.  Hemel might be OK as well, as I think it's the Hemel A community side and they'll probably meet the success criteria.

As for the West, Cornish and Devon are going to need a waiver, given their league collapsed.  I assume Swindon, Cheltenham and Torfaen are shoe-ins based on passing all the criteria, which leaves Bath, Oxford and Somerset.  Oxford may pass the success criteria. However, Bath are a new side, I can't see how they pass the success or tenure criteria and Somerset aren't good enough on the field either, though they are steady.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Torfaen, Oxford, Swindon, Cheltenham, Devon and Cornish Rebels would probably be the place to start with the new league. Surprised Valley Cougars aren't applying, though guess they may struggle as they'll no longer get fringe professional players with the relocation of the Ironmen. Also they don't have any junior teams.

I'd have thought under this scenario that there would be no south west division 1, once again 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...