Batley V Oldham MOM

redditchbulldog

My argument was not that I think Scott is a bad player. I don't believe I questioned his effort either. As I said he can catch a high ball and is decent at support play. My point was that this week he had a poor game and yet some put him up for MOM. He was in my eyes at fault for 2 tries this week. To put it simply he is overrated. But I'm sure we'd all rather blame Diskin.

13 minutes ago, M Hopkins said:

My argument was not that I think Scott is a bad player. I don't believe I questioned his effort either. As I said he can catch a high ball and is decent at support play. My point was that this week he had a poor game and yet some put him up for MOM. He was in my eyes at fault for 2 tries this week. To put it simply he is overrated. But I'm sure we'd all rather blame Diskin.

Scott is a great player week in and week out - including this week. Everybody makes errors, but playing at fulll back can be unforgiving.

Who is blaming Diskin?

Best fullback for years.

If he like cropper were slightly bigger they would of been snapped up for super league years gone by

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

I must admit, I can see where M Hopkins is coming from. I thought it was Scotties worst performance in a Batley shirt, so I was a bit surprised he made it in to the top 3 for MOM for some. Then again, we all see things differently I guess.

However, I like the lad, he is a 120% man and defensively I would agree with some of the comments posted, that he is one of, if not the best fullback we have ever had. However, I'd also temper that with the fact that he is also one of the least effective in attack.

If you look at almost every Championship player it is fairly easy to find flaws with all of them, but that is the reason they are not plying there trade in the NRL or SL.

Scott is fine if we have pace or a prolific try scorer(s) elsewhere in the side. Personally, I'd persevere with him and bring some pace in at centre and/or on the wing. The balance of the team would be okay then and all we would need at fullback is a good defender. 

We had a much better balance last year with Ulugia in the side. He was kind of the Anti-Scott a poor defender, but great on attack.

We've been spoiled at Batley in the last 20 years in terms of full-backs. Lingard, Preece, Greenwood - all exceptional players with pace and attacking flair. Maybe some fans expect too much of Dave Scott? I'd be willing to bet that a majority of the coaches in our league would more than welcome a player of his consistency into their squads. 

11 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I must admit, I can see where M Hopkins is coming from. I thought it was Scotties worst performance in a Batley shirt, so I was a bit surprised he made it in to the top 3 for MOM for some. Then again, we all see things differently I guess.

However, I like the lad, he is a 120% man and defensively I would agree with some of the comments posted, that he is one of, if not the best fullback we have ever had. However, I'd also temper that with the fact that he is also one of the least effective in attack.

If you look at almost every Championship player it is fairly easy to find flaws with all of them, but that is the reason they are not plying there trade in the NRL or SL.

Scott is fine if we have pace or a prolific try scorer(s) elsewhere in the side. Personally, I'd persevere with him and bring some pace in at centre and/or on the wing. The balance of the team would be okay then and all we would need at fullback is a good defender. 

We had a much better balance last year with Ulugia in the side. He was kind of the Anti-Scott a poor defender, but great on attack.

No the best full back we ever had was a young lad that came from Leigh Miners back in the late 60's , defence ,attack he had both skills and also knew how to kick down the slope , he went onto play for England u-21's and would have gone onto bigger things if he hadn't of had a dodgy shoulder....

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

Eh? Scotty had a poor game?? He had a good game. He caught all the high balls – some under pressure – and returned them all.  Had he not caught these, Oldham would have had more tries in. Some of his returns made a good yardage. He put Crookes through for a try and scored one himself. He made one mistake and because of that – according to some- he should not be in a MOM list.

So what about Day? He gave away penalties and one of these was when we had possession.

Cowling missed several tackles.

Lilicropt and Day had the big 18 and let him go.

Rettie knocked on in a tackle and he gave a poor pass.

Brambani gave at least one poor pass that lost possession.

Farrell got himself sin binned for ten minutes and he missed tackles.

Bretherton gave a short pass that fell on the ground and he missed a good pass.

Walker/Brambani fumbled and this lead to a try.

Ansie missed a tackle from a cross field kick and this lead to a try,

Davie was offside and this gave a penalty 10m out from our try line.

The list goes on.

So because of a mistake, should all these players not be allowed to be nominated for MOM?

We have got to be realistic about this. Players make mistakes on the pitch. They don’t mean to, but the pressure sometimes catches them off guard.

The Oldham game was a real tale of “two halves” game. We were good in the first half. Something happened to our game management in the second half and Oldham gained the momentum. We ended up fighting a defensive game and we were lucky to come away with one point.

Overall, it was a good entertaining game. It just did not go the way that we wanted.

57 minutes ago, YorkyDog said:

So because of a mistake, should all these players not be allowed to be nominated for MOM?

That is not what I said at all, please do not try to twist it. 

I am one of Scott's biggest supporters, first and foremost I believe a fullback has to be good under the high ball and a good defender, anything else is a bonus. He is has the first two attributes in spades!

I stated I was surprised he was selected in the top 3 for MOM, but I also tempered that with, we all see the game differently, which is true, isn't it? I'm sure if we were all to pick our best 17 pretty much everybody would come up with a different line up. It would be a pretty boring world if we all agreed with everything.

I think he had a poor game, but he definitely wasn't on his own. The turning point was Farrell's sin-binning IMO.

Voting now closed

1) Dom Brambrani 32 pts

2) Dane Manning 30 pts

3) Danny Cowling 10 pts

4) Patch Walker 7 pts

5) Dave Scott 5 pts

6) jason Crookes 4 pts

7) Will Maher 2pts

7) Brad Day 2 pts

7) Joel Farrell 2pts

so onto seasons running total with just a few games to go, who is going to get the forum player of the season

1) Dom Brambrani 3pts

2) Dane Manning 2 pts

3) Danny Cowling 1 pt

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

Archived