1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anyone watching the James DeGale vs Chris Eubank Jr fight later?

Both drinking at the last chance saloon.

Chance to see Selby and heavyweight prospect Joe Joyce too

Not for me , I ration my PPV and this doesn’t even come close to justifying it . I’m most interested in seeing how Big Joe handles Stiverne 

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Not for me , I ration my PPV and this doesn’t even come close to justifying it . I’m most interested in seeing how Big Joe handles Stiverne 

Eubank won on points by a wider margin than a couple of the judges’ actually gave.  Although he had a point taken off late in the fight for body slamming DeGale he caught him many times trying to come with big rights and floored him twice.  I think another fight with Billy Joe Saunders would be the logical choice next if it can be made this year.

As for Joyce, his opponent came in overweight and pretty flabby round the midrift.  The fight was finally stopped midway through the bout after Joyce had landed a succession of shots leading up to then although none of them could be described as concussive - Stiverne had taken a lot though and was throwing less and less back.  Joyce actually walked onto shots early on in the fight before eventually putting down Stiverne due to sheer volume of accurate blows which Groves would describe later as mainly ‘arm shots’.

I’m not sure it’s a performance that will propel him into a big fight with one of the big three this year, but he may well get a shot at Manuel Char’s ‘regular’ WBA heavyweight belt.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

8 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Eubank won on points by a wider margin than a couple of the judges’ actually gave.  Although he had a point taken off late in the fight for body slamming DeGale he caught him many times trying to come with big rights and floored him twice.  I think another fight with Billy Joe Saunders would be the logical choice next if it can be made this year.

As for Joyce, his opponent came in overweight and pretty flabby round the midrift.  The fight was finally stopped midway through the bout after Joyce had landed a succession of shots leading up to then although none of them could be described as concussive - Stiverne had taken a lot though and was throwing less and less back.  Joyce actually walked onto shots early on in the fight before eventually putting down Stiverne due to sheer volume of accurate blows which Groves would describe later as mainly ‘arm shots’.

I’m not sure it’s a performance that will propel him into a big fight with one of the big three this year, but he may well get a shot at Manuel Char’s ‘regular’ WBA heavyweight belt.

Yeh fair play to Eubank, I had him losing this match initially but he physically dominated the fight coming close to finishing him a couple of times. Got to think De Gale will retire from here. 

God Joyce is so slow but Stiverne was clearly just there for a payday. I only switched on in round 2 and he looked like it was the 12th round.

I’ve watched some crappy footage on YouTube . I thought Stiverne was made for Joyce . Got lucky once but is more often slow , limited and unconditioned . Good name for Joyce but I’m not hooked on him tbh . Obviously heavy handed and good work rate , but anyways looks stiff robotic basic and amateurish . His head movement is minimal and you could see him getting caught and outboxed at top level . 

DeGale is shot , talking of retirement and you’re half way there . Injuries and wear n tear have blunted him . Eubank is nothing special , at 168 he won’t be a factor . Some big powerful guys out there . He’s hasn’t got the power or quality despite his ego . He’s always looked manufactured to me 

So it's official, Fury - Wilder 2 is off.

Think this is a real bad look for Fury and he'll get slated for this. When you consider the back and forth there has been with Wilder and AJ and the accusations that continue to this day, Fury is likely to get worse. 

The key difference is that Wilder was unable to duck this fight without losing his title. The possibility of purse bids guaranteed Fury a relatively decent split. This means that Fury had the fight if he wanted it, it was all his decision to not go ahead with it.

I'm sure Fury's fans will say he won the first fight but the manner of the 12th round makes it look like he's decided against it. 

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Some rare Friday Night Boxing on BT tonight featuring heavyweight prospect Daniel Dubois and lightheavyweight Anthony Yarde.

Both who desperately need Frank to get them a competitive fight . He’s hyping them at present without much substance 

There were a couple of low looking shots in the build up, but Dubois blasted out an opponent in two rounds that had taken Joseph Parker the distance in a World title fight.

Talk of him fighting Nathan Gorman later in the year.

Daniel Dubois looked the real deal with that finish.

I watched his last fight and basically wrote him off. I must admit he looked quick and dangerous tonight. 

It looks like there might be one upside to the whole Fury signing for ESPN. 

They have sufficiently annoyed the Wilder team that it looks like they've gone from trying to freeze out Joshua to seeing AJ as a way of getting back at Fury.

There were a few tentative signs in the last couple of weeks. Suddenly from nowhere they were talking about AJ and even Wilder talked about knocking him out. This might not seem odd but he literally has never talked about the fight. Something felt different. 

Now there are big rumours that Wilder might be about to sign with DAZN. This would be huge for boxing and for DAZN especially as GGG signed with them today. 

8 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It looks like there might be one upside to the whole Fury signing for ESPN. 

They have sufficiently annoyed the Wilder team that it looks like they've gone from trying to freeze out Joshua to seeing AJ as a way of getting back at Fury.

There were a few tentative signs in the last couple of weeks. Suddenly from nowhere they were talking about AJ and even Wilder talked about knocking him out. This might not seem odd but he literally has never talked about the fight. Something felt different. 

Now there are big rumours that Wilder might be about to sign with DAZN. This would be huge for boxing and for DAZN especially as GGG signed with them today. 

I think Wilder and Joshua will dance around the handbags a little while longer, but if you can get them both on DAZN then at least they’re at the same disco.

I’d really like Callum Smith to get a stadium gig against GGG or Canelo, or at least see another matchup between those two greats.

I think on BT we are looking at November/December PPVs between Yarde-Kovalev and also Dubois-Gorman.

I think Wilder and Joshua will dance around the handbags a little while longer, but if you can get them both on DAZN then at least they’re at the same disco.

I’d really like Callum Smith to get a stadium gig against GGG or Canelo, or at least see another matchup between those two greats.

I think on BT we are looking at November/December PPVs between Yarde-Kovalev and also Dubois-Gorman.

Kovalev would be a huge step up for Yarde. Someone pointed out the odds of his opponents and they've all been 100-1 on fights. 

49 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Kovalev would be a huge step up for Yarde. Someone pointed out the odds of his opponents and they've all been 100-1 on fights. 

Yes, that’s a valid criticism of Yarde although I think he is number one contender now (need to check this really).

To be honest, the fact that Yarde hasn’t fought anyone of great note might make Kovalev’s people take the fight more readily.

It would be a good one for the paying punters.

34 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, that’s a valid criticism of Yarde although I think he is number one contender now (need to check this really).

To be honest, the fact that Yarde hasn’t fought anyone of great note might make Kovalev’s people take the fight more readily.

It would be a good one for the paying punters.

It's not a criticism of Yarde, he's not the only one who has such one sided fights it just seems like a huge step up. I might be way wrong but I thought him an Buatsi were heading for a showdown?

Talking of mismatches Loma vs Crolla is coming up soon. It's a mandatory so no one is to blame but no doubt it'll be a good one for all the Lomachenko highlight reels. 

I think Kovalev is a perfect fight for Yarde . I like Yarde , he’s improving all the time . Kovalev’s best years are behind him . He’s took some punishment and looked a bit jaded lately and far less of the beast who literally scared cleverley to defeat . Alvarez didn’t show up for the last fight so that flattered kovalev . Perfect timing . As for Dubois maybe me but I still need convincing in that gut check fight and he’s still a bit protected hype job until I see it

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Katie Taylor tonight on Sky in a tough looking test.

Elsewhere in the early hours of Sunday morning there’s Errol Spence Jr versus Mikey Garcia in a massive fight live on ITV4.

Fair play to Garcia, he's got some balls to take a fellow highly ranked P4P fighter who is much bigger than him. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Katie Taylor tonight on Sky in a tough looking test.

Elsewhere in the early hours of Sunday morning there’s Errol Spence Jr versus Mikey Garcia in a massive fight live on ITV4.

She needs one . The strength in depth in women’s boxing is woeful on what I’ve seen . Spence v Garcia is the fight of the weekend alright . I’m reminded of Khan v Canelo and Brook v Golovkin . Natural size is all important . They have weight classes for a reason . And Spence is very special as well

• Like 1

Katie Taylor took apart her unbeaten opponent with another dazzling technical display before eventually stopping her in the 9th.  She picks up her third world title strap at lightweight.

On the undercard, Luke Campbell grabbed a good stoppage victory midway through his fight against a tough Mexican who had 20 KOs on his record.  There’s talk now of the Hull man being lined up for another shot at a world title. 

In the main event, Tevin Farmer defeated plucky Irish fighter Jono Carroll on points to retain his world title.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 7:57 PM, DavidM said:

She needs one . The strength in depth in women’s boxing is woeful on what I’ve seen . Spence v Garcia is the fight of the weekend alright . I’m reminded of Khan v Canelo and Brook v Golovkin . Natural size is all important . They have weight classes for a reason . And Spence is very special as well

Well he sure proved it last night.

Of course there is the old adage about a good big un beating a good little un but it was even more comprehensive than expected.

Fair play to Mikey Garcia for taking on such a challenge but it was almost a bit naive to think he could do it. Hopefully it doesn't put other boxers off after seeing what a big defeat can do to their legacy. Wilder, fresh from turning down $100m to unify the division, must have been thinking he's glad he didn't take it. 

10 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Well he sure proved it last night.

Of course there is the old adage about a good big un beating a good little un but it was even more comprehensive than expected.

Fair play to Mikey Garcia for taking on such a challenge but it was almost a bit naive to think he could do it. Hopefully it doesn't put other boxers off after seeing what a big defeat can do to their legacy. Wilder, fresh from turning down $100m to unify the division, must have been thinking he's glad he didn't take it. 

Yes, it finished as a bit of a masterclass from Spence Jr in the end.

Massive stadium fights are few and far between in the USA so I can see the appeal for Garcia’s people.

Although Spence Jr started as favourite, I think few would have predicted such a wide margin of victory on points.

• 4 weeks later...