2021 RLWC Qualifying Results

1 hour ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Leeds didnt want him getting injured and had asked Germany not to play him. The likes of Brad Billsborough and Ben Dent are fantastic for the German players, especially at Training. And Germany has never ever paid or covered the Costs of any heritage player. Each pays his own way. This is often the case with many Nations. 14 of the German 17 on Saturday played in the German BundesLeague this year. The Czechs are very physical and a great bunch, but sadly miss an organizer and that was a big difference on Saturday.

It’s a shame the qualifiers can’t be played during international agreed windows to allow all players to participate without any conflict of interest 

• 2 weeks later...

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD CUP QUALIFIER – UKRAINE 26 GREECE 28 – Report

A Jordan Meads penalty goal, as part of the Greece skipper’s 16 point tally, just saw his side home with a narrow 28-26 win in the Dinamo Stadium, Kharkiv against Ukraine. If the Greeks now earn a point at home to Malta in Athens, they will take the European Championship C – South crown, and play either Germany or Norway from the North group in a play-off for the next round of European 2021 World Cup qualifying matches, in 2019.

Both sides scored four tries in front of an enthusiastic crowd, the hosts coming from 20-8 down at the break to leave the visitors hanging on for the final ten minutes.

Greek head coach Michail Chatziioannou commented: “It was a very physical game, as we expected, and all the boys gave all their heart in both teams; all my respect to the Ukrainians who were really impressive. Thankfully, we won but we need to minimise our mistakes next time.”

Scrum half Meads controlled the key periods, ably backed up by Sebastian Sell who was a powerhouse throughout with his storming runs. Greece made a perfect start, full back Dimosthenis Kartsonakis over in the corner, Meads unable to add the conversion.

The Ukrainian forwards, led by prop Aleksandr Kozak often drove their opponents back, Sell’s countering offloads proving to be their Achilles heel and their three quarters hesitant under Meads’ kicks.

Aleksandr Sherbina thought he’d scored on a fine diagonal run in the 11th minute, only for Meads’ despairing tackle to force him in to a double movement, and two minutes later, Meads showed the way, scampering over from 10 metres out and adding the conversion.

Ukraine survived a goal line drop out but twice knocked on in their own half, Sell with a piercing run taken on by Ioannis Rousoglou, and Meads sending half back partner Nikolaos Bosmos over through Anatoliy Grankovskiy’s tackle to make it 14-0.

Ukraine gathered the short kick off and then won a one-on-one steal, Sviatoslav Andrieichenko getting on the outside of his man to go over in the corner for their first points, and impressive full back Bogdan Veprik showed great strength to crash between three defenders from close in, Aleksandr Skorbach missing his second shot at goal.

It seemed as though the home side would go in only a score behind but they conceded again, somewhat bizarrely, just before the break. On the last tackle near the Ukrainian line, Meads looked to get an offload away which was snaffled by Sherbina. Instead of taking the tackle and waiting for the half time hooter, he chose to try and ship the ball on, opposite number Terry Constantinou – who was a threat throughout – snaffling it and going over near the posts for Meads to goal.

Ukraine were out early for the second half and started it well amongst a flurry of tries. Skorbach’s fine pass sent in Oleksandr Sivokoz across, Meads again countering with a try on a last tackle play. Ukraine again rescued a short kick off, centre Nikolay Shalaiev powering his way over for Skorbach to again narrow the gap to six points.

Meads took the opportunity to extend that to two scores in the 63rd minute, kicking a penalty from 20 metres out, however, with ten minutes to go, Skorbach crossed and added the extras to set up an extremely tense finish. Veprik pulled of an astonishing try saving tackle on Komninos Tsavaris and more desperate home defence denied Konstantinos Katsidonis as the Greeks just held on.

Veteran home skipper Skorbach commented: “We made a lot of mistakes in the first half and that just left us too much to do. We had to chase the game and nearly managed it but that is something we need to work on. The try just before half time hurt us.”

UKRAINE 26

Bogdan Veprik, Sviatoslav Andrieichenko, Mikhail Troyan, Nikolay Shalaiev, Anatoliy Grankovskiy, Aleksandr Skorbach, Mikhail Pavliv, Vladimir Radchik, Dmitii Semerenko, Aleksandr Kozak, Andrei Shakura, Evgeni Trusov, Aleksandr Sherbina

Subs: Igor Yurkin, Ostap Grishchenko, Oleksandr Sivokoz, Dmitii Kaevich

Tries: Andrieichenko (26), Veprik (37), Sivokoz (44), Shalaiev (48), Skorbach (70)

Goals: Skorbach 3/5

GREECE 28

Dimosthenis Kartsonakis, Michail Bosmos, Konstantinos Katsidonis, Alvaro Zota, Nikolaos Kourkakis, Nikolaos Bosmos, Jordan Meads, Stefanos Bastas, Ioannis Nake, Ioannis Rousoglou, Robert Tuliatu, Sebastian Sell, Terry Constantinou

Subs: Eugenios Malai, Panteleimon Tsattalios, Komninos Tsavaris, Konstantinos Koutras

Tries: Kartsonakis (2), Meads (13, 46), N. Bosmos (22), Constantinou (39)

Goals: Meads 4/6

Half time: 8-20

Referee: Matt Rossleigh

Man of the Match: Jordan Meads

5 hours ago, NickWeaver said:

Also Full time in Greece with Greece beating Malta 60:4. This Means Greece will play Norway in the Group C playoff

Rather than a one game play off in a neutral country why not a home and away format with the winner decided on aggregate if both teams win a game each? It’ll give both teams a home game and extra experience of more intense matches.

rldfsignature.jpg

11 hours ago, NickWeaver said:

This Means Greece will play Norway in the Group C playoff

Anyone know any details about this game? The winner enters the next round played during the October/November period so obviously before then.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

11 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Rather than a one game play off in a neutral country why not a home and away format with the winner decided on aggregate if both teams win a game each? It’ll give both teams a home game and extra experience of more intense matches.

I prefer the one match in a neutral location.  It helps keep costs down too.

I think it will be in April-May 2019.

20 minutes ago, langpark said:

I prefer the one match in a neutral location.  It helps keep costs down too.

I think it will be in April-May 2019.

I appreciate the financial aspect but I can’t see there being many there in attendance and IMO that will take away from the occasion. 

rldfsignature.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if it's just because I wanted Spain and Serbia to go through, but I'm dubious of the "visa issues" Serbia had for their match in Russia...

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

TBH it looked to me that Serbia just dropped the ball too much in Russia - just as Russia had in Spain.  I'm inclined to praise Serbia for not making too big a deal of the visa problems.  The Russian RL have struggled on through a lot of tough times and I don't begrudge them having something to celebrate.

Archived