Leeds New Signing

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lot 17a said:

I don't know of any. Shaun Fensom rumour seems to be totally dead? 

I don't think anyone in the know is actually in the know they just want to seem in the know. 

Y'know?

Yes, the rumour was that Fensom was as good as signed and then it all went quite? Has that signing now been dropped?

On 11/15/2018 at 5:17 PM, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Make no mistake this is one of the biggest imports to SL in a decade or more.

Merrin has just turned 29 and will still be 29 at the end of next season. Merrin is in his prime and bucks the trend for moderate NRL players or older/troubled NRL players coming for a last payday or a route back to the NRL.

Not only is he in his prime but he is also one of the most accomplished forwards in the NRL which was recognised by the Panthers who made him one of the top 10 earners in the entire NRL only two years ago.

Its quite obvious that Leeds have dug deep and dangled a massive 4 year contract to get him to walk away from the two years he had left on his current bumper deal. People shouldn’t be looking at this negatively though, in some way like he doesn’t want to play at Leeds.

The guy is more than entitled to maximise his earning potential in such a short career, we would all do the same. This is not soccer where all players now earn enough for life regardless of which prem team they play for.

This is not a Barba scenario where the guy is arriving under some cloud with an agenda to get back to the big time after one season. Merrin could have stayed in the NRL for two further seasons on his current contract and as one of the highest earners. He chose Leeds supposedly as he thought he couldn’t command the same wages as he gets now in two years time. That is fair enough.

On that basis I fully expect he stays for the entire four seasons too.

People should also appreciate that Leeds are paying the mega money not just for the skills on the park but the temperament and professionalism of the bloke they are investing in.

Frankly I am staggered people are talking about Garbutt and Merrin at the same time. Garbutt was a complete and utter failure in the NRL, Leeds acquired him and paid him peanuts as a squad player. Whilst he turned out to be a useful big lump meter maker in the SL (each teams needs one) he is nothing more. I would have liked him to stay for that purpose and can only assume he is one of the 'slipped standards' Sinfield refers to and hence why he has been shown the door.

This is no Galloway signing, this guy is will make the Dream Team on one leg. Leeds fans should be very very excited.

Jeez calm down, biggest import of the last ten years! what a load of rubbish - seriously get a grip.

On 11/15/2018 at 5:40 PM, DoubleD said:

Sorry but I think you're wrong. Garbutt makes good metres but doesn't do long minutes and is not the best defensively. He's not got a good injury or general fitness record and rumours of his poor attitude have probably all contributed to this decision.  I like him but Singleton is certainly a better prop. He's got a far better all round game, does long minutes, has good hands and is aggressive defensively, often leading the line. Sadly Garbutt doesn't do any of this 

Singleton better? Not a chance in my opinion, he only plays well when he wants to. Some of his metre making in games has been shocking. Garbutt was the best prop on Leeds books by a length. That said there must be reasons they wanted shut but it certainly can't be for anything on field. They either weren't happy with his amount of time on field (which yes was limited last year and justifiable) or there was something not in tpublic knowledge. Still think Leeds need 2 props to really lay a platform

On 11/26/2018 at 4:27 PM, thepimp007 said:

Singleton better? Not a chance in my opinion, he only plays well when he wants to. Some of his metre making in games has been shocking. Garbutt was the best prop on Leeds books by a length. That said there must be reasons they wanted shut but it certainly can't be for anything on field. They either weren't happy with his amount of time on field (which yes was limited last year and justifiable) or there was something not in tpublic knowledge. Still think Leeds need 2 props to really lay a platform

Yet again another person who is only judging a forward by their metres made 

7 hours ago, Rhino2009 said:

,according to Peter Smith Leeds are still after a quality forward if one is available and 1 space available on quota. Any new rumours as to who we may sign?

There hasn't been much in the way of rumour recently. Seemed for the world Shaun Fensom was signed but that went extremely quiet. There was rumour you were talking to Ikhahihifo but need to ship some straggles out like Mullally, Ormondroyd and Walters

On 12/1/2018 at 9:33 AM, thepimp007 said:

There hasn't been much in the way of rumour recently. Seemed for the world Shaun Fensom was signed but that went extremely quiet. There was rumour you were talking to Ikhahihifo but need to ship some straggles out like Mullally, Ormondroyd and Walters

Any updated rumours for a Leeds signing?

Archived