WRC World Rally Championship

Anyone following this?

Dominated at the moment by Ogier, but in the latest rally in Mexico, a British driver (Evans) managed to finish third.

Seems like it’s not had much coverage since the heyday of Colin McRae and Richard Burns.

Also the cars are probably less sexy than before, but there’s still nothing quite as exciting motorsport wise.

Theres loads of coverage on BT, but I guess not everyone has access to it.

Looks like Channel 5 have highlights, but it doesn't seem to grip me like it used to, when the RAC Rally used to come right past our house, and I once saw a Lancia Stratos parked outside, with the driver and co-driver trying to fix something on the car.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Preview of the Rally of Corsica (very twisty technical stages with an emphasis on precision rather than speed)

https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc-2/news/2019/march-2019/wrc-2-corsica-preview-/page/6217--51-51-.html

Video at the bottom previewing the lead class.

Article mentions young British hopeful Gus Greensmith from Manchester who is leading WRC Pro 2.

Thought I was having some dodgy remembrances for a minute thinking I’m sure I saw rallying in Bowling Park in Bradford ages ago.  I know it’s not WRC but the non-competitive Mintex Rally is putting a stage through there for the first time in decades later next month, even the exotic locale of Esholt Sewage Works.  Twice!

Bit sad to be over here really, I bet this would be great to go watch some of the classics.

https://90right.wordpress.com/2018/03/09/mintex-rally-yorkshire/

I make do with the highlights programme on 5 Spike, I was disappointed highlights weren't renewed in time for Monte Carlo but I guess eventually the right decision was made, it's a show that is already made by WRC or whomever. I did fork out for WRC+ Live thing but I barely use it now and I know daily highlights are also available on Red Bull TV. I'm not keen on motor sport but this is the form I really like. My brother has marshalled at many different motor sport events including Wales Rally GB. I did want to go to Sardinia in June for the WRC and for a holiday but it's unlikely to happen this year.

8 hours ago, CanaBull said:

Thought I was having some dodgy remembrances for a minute thinking I’m sure I saw rallying in Bowling Park in Bradford ages ago.  I know it’s not WRC but the non-competitive Mintex Rally is putting a stage through there for the first time in decades later next month, even the exotic locale of Esholt Sewage Works.  Twice!

Bit sad to be over here really, I bet this would be great to go watch some of the classics.

https://90right.wordpress.com/2018/03/09/mintex-rally-yorkshire/

Thanks for posting - looks interesting for 2019.

Might look into it as I’ve got some friends over in West Yorkshire who could be interested in this followed by great curry.

I recently found an interesting article comparing the old Group B cars from the 80’s to today’s modern rally cars - I’ll post it up if I can find it.

Edit: A few years old, but still fairly current

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/heres-how-current-wrc-cars-compare-to-the-monstrous-group-b-machines/

21 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

I make do with the highlights programme on 5 Spike, I was disappointed highlights weren't renewed in time for Monte Carlo but I guess eventually the right decision was made, it's a show that is already made by WRC or whomever. I did fork out for WRC+ Live thing but I barely use it now and I know daily highlights are also available on Red Bull TV. I'm not keen on motor sport but this is the form I really like. My brother has marshalled at many different motor sport events including Wales Rally GB. I did want to go to Sardinia in June for the WRC and for a holiday but it's unlikely to happen this year.

The highlights programmes are the best - didn’t know about Red Bull TV so I’ll check that out, thanks.

Welshman Elfyn Evans (Ford) beating Championship leader Ott Tanak (Toyota) by 4.5 seconds after day one in Corsica.

Thierry Neuville (Hyundai) in third with defending WRC champ Sebastien Ogier (Citroen) strangely lacking pace in 6th.

Kris Meeke (Toyota) down in 16th after twice damaging his car on these twisty technical early stages.

Elfyn Evans (Ford) trailing Thierry Neuville (Hyundai) by 4.5 seconds after day two of the rally of Corsica.

Championship leader Ott Tanak (Toyota) had to stop to change a wheel which drops him to 6th overall.

Reigning world champion Sebastien Ogier (Citroen) meanwhile has hauled himself into third in the rally after a great drive on the final stage, but he has surely left himself too much to do to catch the top two.

Nothing less than high sporting drama as Elfyn Evans (Ford) clipped something on his front right and punctured a tyre to be denied victory on the final stage when leading the rally.

Eventual winner Thierry Neuville (Hyundai) had started the final stage 11 seconds off the pace after an incredible drive by Evans to take the morning’s earlier stage.  Neuville was unable to close the gap and had just done an expletive riddled interview out of frustration believing all was lost.  Then news filtered through of Evans accident giving the Belgian driver the win.

In the end, WRC world champion Sébastien Ogier (Citroen) also leapfrogged Evans into second, a full 40 seconds behind Neuville with Evans over a minute off the pace.

Archived