Widnes Game

andyram

Well tee-hee, I got my prediction totally wrong didn’t I? Good!

We had no chance thought I, but we showed the opposite. Most of the 50-50s went our way for once and didn’t the home supporters shout about the wrong decisions! Things went wrong for Widnes almost from the start when they had a player sin binned and lost Ince, their top try scorer, a little later  

Outstanding for me was Iggy; he showed his desire more than once with some strong runs and scored a great long distance breakaway try when he charged down a kick. There were strong games too from Garratt, Field and to quote Equalizer: “Robson put in a fair stint”. Knowles was in there with some good tackles and Simon Brown was useful with his different kicking options. They might knock him, but Finn was on hand for the winner. 

We would have scored 30 had FB been better with his conversion attempts and Widnes might only have scored 18 if Hooley hadn’t dropped a high ball, allowing them to score. Two negatives there I can forget. 

We had one other ‘victory’ today and it was with the new PTB amended law. The Widnes player tried to play the ball on to the leg of a Dewsbury player still on the ground. The referee called a knock on, but the Widnes player spoke out of turn and a penalty was awarded to Dews with all those Widnesian supporters telling the referee was wrong. 

Satisfying afternoon out. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

2 hours ago, muddyfunster said:

Cracking result and certainly didn't expect that well done to all the lads, Finny for the winner and LG. 

On  the negative makes wonder me why we couldn't be bothered against the dogs? We've proved (again) we can go toe to toe with the sides who are expected to do well, so we must have the same attitude and game plans with those we are running with.

I think that "can't be bothered" is very unfair. Psychology in sport is a very complex issue and isn't just a case of shaking yourself out of it. The Batley team won the psychological battle and there should be no shame in that. Getting the group to believe in themselves is a real challenge and Lee seems to have achieved that his week.

I hope that Finn's professionalism and positive approach coupled with more opportunities for Brown are starting to pay off. Expecting another positive result against Toulouse might be too much, but hoping for a real challenge and attractive game shouldn't be.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I think that "can't be bothered" is very unfair. Psychology in sport is a very complex issue and isn't just a case of shaking yourself out of it. The Batley team won the psychological battle and there should be no shame in that. Getting the group to believe in themselves is a real challenge and Lee seems to have achieved that his week.

I guess the manner of defeat against our dear neighbours still stings a little, but too often in recent seasons have we shown up as poor relations (i guess loosing the psychological battle) against teams we are on a par with, only to prove we have got what it takes against the "big guns"

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/ image.png.96e4130d8b139666bf34e8fcdead30d9.png

8 hours ago, muddyfunster said:

I guess the manner of defeat against our dear neighbours still stings a little, but too often in recent seasons have we shown up as poor relations (i guess loosing the psychological battle) against teams we are on a par with, only to prove we have got what it takes against the "big guns"

Nar

We'll put it right at Blackpool ???

Aiming for 6 points from our next 4 league games ☺️☺️☺️

8 hours ago, muddyfunster said:

Don’t let BSJ bully you  muddy.  If the players were bothered when we played the dogs it didn’t show and yesterday’s result would appear to confirm it.  For some years now we’ve had two teams and guessing which one turns up is impossible. 

On a nice positive I see the win has brought the forum posts back to life. 

14 hours ago, NickD said:

Don’t let BSJ bully you  muddy.  If the players were bothered when we played the dogs it didn’t show and yesterday’s result would appear to confirm it.  For some years now we’ve had two teams and guessing which one turns up is impossible. 

On a nice positive I see the win has brought the forum posts back to life. 

Yep, I'm the biggest bully in the playground. ??

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived