• Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Draw
  2. 2. What will the winning margin be?

• 9 points or less
    • 10 to 19 points
    • 20 or more points

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/19 at 10:15

NSW coach Brad Fittler has named his 17-man squad for the State of Origin series opener at Suncorp Stadium on June 5.

Fittler has named five debutants, with Canberra’s Nick Cotric and Jack Wighton, South Sydney pair Cody Walker and Cameron Murray, and Brisbane’s Payne Haas all set for their Blues’ debut.

Boyd Cordner has been named and will captain the side once again, after leading them to a winning series last year.

nsw_game1_teamlist_1080x13501.jpg?center=0.3%2C0.5&preset=photo-inline

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you delete mine?  

Nathan Cleary is there by default. Everyone else is dead. What about the Fox Team Selector which didn't even make J-Moz an option? 

Queensland are set to put injury concerns aside by naming Daly Cherry-Evans, Jai Arrow and Moses Mbye in Kevin Walters’s extended squad for Origin I.

Cherry-Evans’s rapid five-week recovery from syndesmosis surgery is among the fastest ever seen in rugby league circles, with the Manly halfback set to be named at No.7 for the Maroons and continue his return to full fitness while in camp.

The Queensland Rugby League has not yet announced its team and will do so on Monday.

Hasn’t Josh McGuire been relegated to reserve footy in recent weeks? 

I can’t see anything other than a NSW whitewash. Queensland are hugely reliant on the brilliance of Munster and Ponga as they have some very average players in amongst them

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Hasn’t Josh McGuire been relegated to reserve footy in recent weeks? 

I can’t see anything other than a NSW whitewash. Queensland are hugely reliant on the brilliance of Munster and Ponga as they have some very average players in amongst them

Comparing the two sides I have to agree that NSW will at least win this one and probably all three games.

Blues have a stronger looking line up and plenty of form players.

Surely Ponga and Munster can’t be enough to swing it against that opposition?

I suppose it also depends on DCE, his fitness and which one of him turns up!

6 minutes ago, Graham said:

Comparing the two sides I have to agree that NSW will at least win this one and probably all three games.

Blues have a stronger looking line up and plenty of form players.

Surely Ponga and Munster can’t be enough to swing it against that opposition?

I suppose it also depends on DCE, his fitness and which one of him turns up!

Yeah DCE is a bit of an unknown entity. He has the ability to perhaps win one for the Maroans but the pack, outside backs and bench should be far too strong for the Welsh

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Yeah DCE is a bit of an unknown entity. He has the ability to perhaps win one for the Maroans but the pack, outside backs and bench should be far too strong for the Welsh

Agree.

Blues have a nice balance.

Looking forward to seeing how Payne Haas, Walker and Cook do.

11 minutes ago, Graham said:

Agree.

Blues have a nice balance.

Looking forward to seeing how Payne Haas, Walker and Cook do.

You know what you’ll get from Cook but certainly Haas and Walker could be very exciting to watch. Feel a bit sorry that Keary isn’t playing as would’ve liked to have seen him with Walker in the halves

Wighton’s also an interesting selection. He’s gone better than most thought in the halves and is a strong defender. Perhaps the thought process of putting him on the bench is in case the Walker and Cleary partnership doesn’t work

Of the Maroons forwards I’ve been impressed with Papalii and Jai Arrow this last couple of weeks. Kaufusi has been less of a handful this season generally than last. Chambers has been up and down with form but the last couple of weeks he’s played hard and sharper.

Blues bench has the upper hand for me.

The game being played in Brisbane with a big vocal home crowd could see QLD lift. 

Whilst I would prefer a Maroons win I think the Blues look a stronger team, I also don't think the home factor for Qld is as big as it used be, no quaking in the boots or 'home' refs either, take out the biff and SoO is a pale imitation of what it used to be alas?

Gerard Sutton and Ashley Klein have been appointed the on-field referees for the opening match of the 2019 Holden State of Origin series at Suncorp Stadium.

Sutton will be the lead referee with Klein taking assistant referee duties, while Chris Butler and Nick Beashel will be the touch judges for the game and Jared Maxwell and Ben Galea will operate the NRL Bunker.

It'll be Sutton's 14th straight State of Origin match while Klein will officiate his sixth game on the Origin stage.

Never been a fan of Klein. I saw him ref over here in a Fev game when he first started out reffing the pro game. That he has progressed to this is a great achievement for him.

Archived