RFL Strategy - aims for 2019

Not from the R.F.L. as it is not theirs to sell. Do keep up,this same post as been doing the rounds for 2 years or more and still you do not seem to understand. The ground is neither the R.F.L or Bradford Bulls to sell and I also believe there is a clause there that the ground has to be used for Rugby League for a fairly long number of years.I am sure somebody from Bradford knows the exact number of years.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Manx RL said:

Figures can be verified easily. But how do you verify actual attendance against the declared figure?

Indeed so.  No need for Microsoft AI when we can deploy our very own TRL crowd counting machines... >99.99% accurate.

9 hours ago, Damien said:

Surely it's not all about developing players for Super League level though. More players and better development at all levels can only be good for the game and improve standards overall.

Yes it is , you do realise where these academy players come from ? , The community game can only lose so many players without collapsing 

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes it is , you do realise where these academy players come from ? , The community game can only lose so many players without collapsing 

Yes I do. I also realise there are late developers and players that don't necessarily want to go full time at 16 at a Super League club, for a wide variety of reasons. Hence why various Super League players got their first start at lower league clubs. If lower league clubs do not develop players or the wider game then it seems like a waste giving them money just to waste on rejects and has beens from Super League.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Yes I do. I also realise there are late developers and players that don't necessarily want to go full time at 16 at a Super League club, for a wide variety of reasons. Hence why various Super League players got their first start at lower league clubs. If lower league clubs do not develop players or the wider game then it seems like a waste giving them money just to waste on rejects and has beens from Super League.

So you want clubs to produce players , but not necessarily SL quality players ? , Then you refer to the players that don't make SL  from SL academies as ' rejects ' ? , So you want clubs to produce their own ' rejects ' ? 

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

If there's more opportunities to be selected for the pathway then more youth players are likely to stay in the game, that's the likely knock on effect. 

42 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

If there's more opportunities to be selected for the pathway then more youth players are likely to stay in the game, that's the likely knock on effect. 

If you decimate community teams at age 15/16 by taking all their best players into RL club academies , many of those teams fold , so when the RL clubs dump the ' makeweights ' they've had to take on to put together a team , there isn't a team to go back to 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

If you decimate community teams at age 15/16 by taking all their best players into RL club academies , many of those teams fold , so when the RL clubs dump the ' makeweights ' they've had to take on to put together a team , there isn't a team to go back to 

I'd say U18 teams could be hit hard but U16 and below would have the potential for unprecedented reversal of decline. 

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

I'd say U18 teams could be hit hard but U16 and below would have the potential for unprecedented reversal of decline. 

Sorry you've lost me , I don't follow the point you're making 

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So you want clubs to produce players , but not necessarily SL quality players ? , Then you refer to the players that don't make SL  from SL academies as ' rejects ' ? , So you want clubs to produce their own ' rejects ' ? 

Are you just asking questions rather than addressing the points? What should a lower league club be doing if it is not developing players? Why should a lower league club get thousands in funding if it is just living off the rejects from Super League? From what you are saying there seems little point of having clubs below Super League level. I don't agree with that.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Are you just asking questions rather than addressing the points? What should a lower league club be doing if it is not developing players? Why should a lower league club get thousands in funding if it is just living off the rejects from Super League? From what you are saying there seems little point of having clubs below Super League level. I don't agree with that.

The lower league clubs should be working harder to increase junior participation in their area's , to me that should be the focus , working primarily in schools , but also in community clubs 

Lower participation levels reduce the amount of players that can be taken into RL scholarship and academies , increase those levels and eventually there will be enough to have more academies , although lower tier clubs will always struggle to get enough quality to produce top tier players , and indeed be able to retain them 

19 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Sorry you've lost me , I don't follow the point you're making 

You seem to be saying opening up more exciting and inspiring opportunities to progress into the Professional game and get paid a small stipend at the same at aged 16-19 will decimate the community game, I think the opposite and it would actually reinvigorate it. 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The lower league clubs should be working harder to increase junior participation in their area's , to me that should be the focus , working primarily in schools , but also in community clubs 

Lower participation levels reduce the amount of players that can be taken into RL scholarship and academies , increase those levels and eventually there will be enough to have more academies , although lower tier clubs will always struggle to get enough quality to produce top tier players , and indeed be able to retain them 

I completely agree with paragraph one and if it is done successfully then that leads to higher participation levels and will allow for every club to have an academy. It also means that paragraph two does not happen. The trouble is too many clubs are not doing paragraph one and are instead living off the scraps and leftovers from Super League. An approach which you are advocating.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I completely agree with paragraph one and if it is done successfully then that leads to higher participation levels and will allow for every club to have an academy. It also means that paragraph two does not happen. The trouble is too many clubs are not doing paragraph one and are instead living off the scraps and leftovers from Super League. An approach which you are advocating.

There will always be ' scraps and leftovers ' , so where do you want them to go ?

6 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

You seem to be saying opening up more exciting and inspiring opportunities to progress into the Professional game and get paid a small stipend at the same at aged 16-19 will decimate the community game, I think the opposite and it would actually reinvigorate it. 

Everybody is entitled to their opinion 

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

There will always be ' scraps and leftovers ' , so where do you want them to go ?

That is irrelevant to what is being discussed. That is unless you are trying to suggest that the sole purpose of grand old clubs like Leigh, Bradford etc are to be retirement homes for old has beens and never was players from Super League. Surely Championship clubs don't get hundreds of thousands of pounds in funding for that?

1 minute ago, Damien said:

That is irrelevant to what is being discussed. That is unless you are trying to suggest that the sole purpose of grand old clubs like Leigh, Bradford etc are to be retirement homes for old has beens and never was players from Super League. Surely Championship clubs don't get hundreds of thousands of pounds in funding for that?

So now it's ' never was ' players ? , Or ' has beens ' ? , so where do you want these players to go when they aren't wanted by SL ? 

Every year around a hundred 16yr olds enter the academies we have , if say Leigh were to set up an academy tomorrow we would be taking players 100 to 110 , what odds would you give on us producing SL quality players better than the ones the existing academies will produce ? , And if we did and we're still outside SL , what odds would you give on us retaining them ?

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So now it's ' never was ' players ? , Or ' has beens ' ? , so where do you want these players to go when they aren't wanted by SL ? 

Every year around a hundred 16yr olds enter the academies we have , if say Leigh were to set up an academy tomorrow we would be taking players 100 to 110 , what odds would you give on us producing SL quality players better than the ones the existing academies will produce ? , And if we did and we're still outside SL , what odds would you give on us retaining them ?

I originally said rejects, same as never was, and has beens. It's there for anyone to read so your cheap attempt at point scoring is futile. I think the lower leagues should be better than a refuge and safety net for Super League players. You obviously don't and have much lower standards. I'm quite surprised as from what you are saying the lower leagues are quite redundant.

From what you were saying previously, and by your own admission, Leigh should be going into schools and developing players. If players aren't being developed in Leigh them it is their fault. Your argument is making clubs like Leigh redundant, surely that is not what you want?

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

I originally said rejects, same as never was, and has beens. It's there for anyone to read so your cheap attempt at point scoring is futile. I think the lower leagues should be better than a refuge and safety net for Super League players. You obviously don't and have much lower standards. I'm quite surprised as from what you are saying the lower leagues are quite redundant.

From what you were saying previously, and by your own admission, Leigh should be going into schools and developing players. If players aren't being developed in Leigh them it is their fault. Your argument is making clubs like Leigh redundant, surely that is not what you want?

No point scoring by me , look , again where do you want these SL ' never was ' or ' rejects ' to go once it becomes clear they aren't SL standard ? , Where do you want SL players when they are coming to the end of their careers to go ?

Leigh do go into the schools , as do most other clubs , should they do more ? , Yes , without doubt , they all should 

You truly believe that Leigh could find , develop and then retain better players than Wigan,Saints and Warrington while still remaining in the championship ? , It's not a difficult question ?

Anyway it's late , so I'm done now 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

No point scoring by me , look , again where do you want these SL ' never was ' or ' rejects ' to go once it becomes clear they aren't SL standard ? , Where do you want SL players when they are coming to the end of their careers to go ?

Leigh do go into the schools , as do most other clubs , should they do more ? , Yes , without doubt , they all should 

You truly believe that Leigh could find , develop and then retain better players than Wigan,Saints and Warrington while still remaining in the championship ? , It's not a difficult question ?

Anyway it's late , so I'm done now 

You are just repeating yourself now. If they are good enough for Super League then so be it. Ditto the Championship or League 1. However this is not a binary choice we can have both. Your very question,  including the end of their careers, should give you the answer. I don't see the obligation to give players a pension at the end of their careers. Lower league clubs should not exist to just be a refuge for Super League rejects. It is certainly no excuse for lower league clubs to not develop players or the game in their areas 

6 hours ago, Damien said:

You are just repeating yourself now. If they are good enough for Super League then so be it. Ditto the Championship or League 1. However this is not a binary choice we can have both. Your very question,  including the end of their careers, should give you the answer. I don't see the obligation to give players a pension at the end of their careers. Lower league clubs should not exist to just be a refuge for Super League rejects. It is certainly no excuse for lower league clubs to not develop players or the game in their areas 

" It's certainly no excuse for lower league clubs to not develop players or the game in their area's " , I have suggested in my posts that they should do exactly that , but the ' finishing school ' is better done by a limited number of clubs IMO , you may disagree , now as it seems I'm repeating myself then perhaps this discussion is over , I'd suggest you just won't answer a simple question , so in a way you are also just repeating yourself 

All the best 

Archived