SL needs to bring back franchising

"Unbelievable post. You tell me EXACTLY WHY RL can make no ground in London, then you casually state the sport will take off? I do believe if London had had a multi-Millionaire pumping money in annually after the successes of the late 1990's we would have got there. But the money men walked, so how can you start talking about three more clubs appearing??"

We need investors that are in it for the longhaul but I will not give up on London.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

"Unbelievable post. You tell me EXACTLY WHY RL can make no ground in London, then you casually state the sport will take off? I do believe if London had had a multi-Millionaire pumping money in annually after the successes of the late 1990's we would have got there. But the money men walked, so how can you start talking about three more clubs appearing??"

We need investors that are in it for the longhaul but I will not give up on London.

Good post cannot argue with a thing. 

On 27/07/2019 at 13:41, Themusician_2 said:

The whole of Rugby league needs investors that are in it for the long haul but they just don't come out of the woodwork do they.  Look what Bradford could do with a big investor, and on that subject my own club  have been incredibly lucky in that respect, They would almost certainly have been long gone now had he not stepped in when he did  ( it's worth a mention he also saved Town from the same fate ). and yet there are plenty on here who claim the Giants bring nothing to the game along with their owner.

Much as i enjoy reading these threads, i wonder if anyone ever gives any thought to the real reason League is in it's present state , My own opinion is It's quite simply not well enough liked by enough people to ever become popular enough to be taken seriously by the kind of people that it needs to invest in it,  We on here think it is the greatest game , and i believe it is on the field , off the field in the general scheme of things it is a minority sport with little interest for the vast majority of people..

Back in the day ( as they say ) it was a big sport ( in the North ) because it had competition from nothing but football, Now people have far more money and choice on what to spend it. If it couldn't grow back in those days then it's going to be almost impossible now.

Like most people i would love to see the game take off in NA although i don't see that ever being the saviour of the game over here , I think France has a bigger role to play in that regard . On the relegation thing i think there is not even enough money in league to run one elite league properly let alone fund the rest,  If the game is going to survive at all it has to build a structure that channels the cream into the top elite league  ( whoever those teams are ) TV is the only realistic way for League to get itself better known and the product for that reason has to be the best it possible can be. The rest for me amounts to nothing much more than dreams .

When the S league takes over ( sort of )  ( is that still happening ) maybe we will get some sort of settled period , time will tell but i would prefer it to be without P & R, for me it does nothing to help the game

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

1 hour ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

The whole of Rugby league needs investors that are in it for the long haul but they just don't come out of the woodwork do they.  Look what Bradford could do with a big investor, and on that subject my own club  have been incredibly lucky in that respect, They would almost certainly have been long gone now had he not stepped in when he did  ( it's worth a mention he also saved Town from the same fate ). and yet there are plenty on here who claim the Giants bring nothing to the game along with their owner.

Much as i enjoy reading these threads, i wonder if anyone ever gives any thought to the real reason League is in it's present state , My own opinion is It's quite simply not well enough liked by enough people to ever become popular enough to be taken seriously by the kind of people that it needs to invest in it,  We on here think it is the greatest game , and i believe it is on the field , off the field in the general scheme of things it is a minority sport with little interest for the vast majority of people..

Back in the day ( as they say ) it was a big sport ( in the North ) because it had competition from nothing but football, Now people have far more money and choice on what to spend it. If it couldn't grow back in those days then it's going to be almost impossible now.

Like most people i would love to see the game take off in NA although i don't see that ever being the saviour of the game over here , I think France has a bigger role to play in that regard . On the relegation thing i think there is not even enough money in league to run one elite league properly let alone fund the rest,  If the game is going to survive at all it has to build a structure that channels the cream into the top elite league  ( whoever those teams are ) TV is the only realistic way for League to get itself better known and the product for that reason has to be the best it possible can be. The rest for me amounts to nothing much more than dreams .

When the S league takes over ( sort of )  ( is that still happening ) maybe we will get some sort of settled period , time will tell but i would prefer it to be without P & R, for me it does nothing to help the game

Yes we are not the wealthiest and most organised sports we do have our limits just like other sports. There are somethings that aren't possible for us to achieve. League being big in North America will always be a pipe dream. There are just too many sports there and the countries there are massive it will require millions to gain a foothold in United States and Canada. It will make the money that was invested in London look like peanuts. Canada has shown piggybacking off union will never work in the long run. As for Jamaica though we are growing nicely due to less competition from other sports I think that's the country where we must hit hard because what is happening there is very promising and the growth more organic.

15 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Yes we are not the wealthiest and most organised sports we do have our limits just like other sports. There are somethings that aren't possible for us to achieve. League being big in North America will always be a pipe dream. There are just too many sports there and the countries there are massive it will require millions to gain a foothold in United States and Canada. It will make the money that was invested in London look like peanuts. Canada has shown piggybacking off union will never work in the long run. As for Jamaica though we are growing nicely due to less competition from other sports I think that's the country where we must hit hard because what is happening there is very promising and the growth more organic.

You are taking about two different things. Canada should be developed as it is a wealthy sports market, Jamaica for its grassroots rugby. Jamaica is not going to bring money into the game, but they could develop a vibrant amateur club game. Whilst the jury is still out, Toronto may have that opportunity to grow the market in time.

1 minute ago, ojx said:

You are taking about two different things. Canada should be developed as it is a wealthy sports market, Jamaica for its grassroots rugby. Jamaica is not going to bring money into the game, but they could develop a vibrant amateur club game. Whilst the jury is still out, Toronto may have that opportunity to grow the market in time.

Broadcasts rights there aren't worth much outside of NHL. CFL is propped up by government funding. The MLB and NBA team is piggbybacking off the US sports market( which is a very wealthy sports market). I don't see Canada bringing in money to our game due to the fact that the game there is 100% amateur. You're right that Jamaica won't bring in money to the game. But I just want to see the game grow in general to me it ain't all about the wealth of the country in my opinion just grow the game.

41 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

CFL is propped up by government funding

Do you have a source for this? It was in fact bailed out by a loan from the NFL.

41 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

The MLB and NBA team is piggbybacking off the US sports market.

Who sell TV rights to Canada for a pretty penny.

2 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

Broadcasts rights there aren't worth much outside of NHL. CFL is propped up by government funding. The MLB and NBA team is piggbybacking off the US sports market( which is a very wealthy sports market). I don't see Canada bringing in money to our game due to the fact that the game there is 100% amateur. You're right that Jamaica won't bring in money to the game. But I just want to see the game grow in general to me it ain't all about the wealth of the country in my opinion just grow the game.

CFL broadcast deal is $40 million a year.  That's what keeps the CFL afloat.  Not government money.  

Archived