Ban the acting half-back form being able

14 hours ago, dixiedean said:

The headline in the menu reads "Ban the acting half back from being able."

I've played in several sides like that.

Yeah Garry Schofield thinks this has been in place since...ahem...he last played

17 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

I'm not the only one who has suggested this. It looks too easy to score from there on occasions, especially if we went to 11 a side as i want to, with a 5m defensive line.  

...and a round ball? It will never catch on.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

18 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

I'm not the only one who has suggested this. It looks too easy to score from there on occasions

It may look easy to you but I guarantee it isn't easy. Players who are able to score from acting half back against professional defences do so because they are talented and this is itself a skill.

As with all things in sport, the easier they make it look the more talented they are.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

I'm not the only one who has suggested this. It looks too easy to score from there on occasions

It may look easy to you but I guarantee it isn't easy. Players who are able to score from acting half back against professional defences do so because they are talented and this is itself a skill.

As with all things in sport, the easier they make it look the more talented they are.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Game over if you find the Golden Snitch.

Double points if you kick a goal with your weaker foot.

Quadruple points if you kick a goal with both feet at the same time!

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

It doesn't look difficult enough for full-time players. 

19 hours ago, Just Browny said:

It should be like diving where there is a multiplier against every difficulty of try. So:

Try from a grubber / bomb - (×0.5)

Try from dummy-half run - (×0.5)

Try from one pass move - (×1.0)

Try from 2-3 pass move - (×1.4)

Try from 4+ pass move - (×2.0)

Try includes a pass through the legs - (x4.0)

Additional 1.5× difficulty multiplier available for each try at discretion of home crowd / lead Sky commentator.

Hi Browny, it's not like you to innovate and want any change? Brexit springs to mind! 

On 28/07/2019 at 23:31, JohnM said:

You can't always get what you want.

No 11 a side, no 5m defensive line

What evidence do you have that it's too easy to score from AHB? How many tries are scored from AHB?

Are you really a fan? 

A fan? Of course he is not.  He is a low rent troll.

On 29/07/2019 at 20:18, southwalesrabbitoh said:

It doesn't look difficult enough for full-time players. 

Just stick to getting getting the All Blacks stopped from stamping in the ruck. There's a good boy.

10 hours ago, SL17 said:

Yes from a kids coaching point of view, the option is always ball distribution. But you cant stop a kid scooting. You have to coach to deal with the scoot or you're teaching them incorrectly.

Thank you for your considered response.

In tactical sports, if one mode of play begins to dominate, opponents soon find approaches to counter. The acting-half-back “scoot”, though,  is difficult to counter. It is generated by getting to the ground quickly and standing quickly, catching the tacklers out of position and the defensive line retreating. It can bring a lot of reward for quite a low level of skill. The counter is to delay the end of the tackle with wrestling techniques, not a particularly attractive feature of the game (for me, that is: most fans seem happy with it).

Not quite what the O.P. was saying, but the “scoot” from the play-the-ball has become more significant - in my opinion - than it deserves to be. It doesn’t seem unreasonable to wonder if its impact  could be lowered.

5 hours ago, Cerulean said:

Thank you for your considered response.

In tactical sports, if one mode of play begins to dominate, opponents soon find approaches to counter. The acting-half-back “scoot”, though,  is difficult to counter. It is generated by getting to the ground quickly and standing quickly, catching the tacklers out of position and the defensive line retreating. It can bring a lot of reward for quite a low level of skill. The counter is to delay the end of the tackle with wrestling techniques, not a particularly attractive feature of the game (for me, that is: most fans seem happy with it).

Not quite what the O.P. was saying, but the “scoot” from the play-the-ball has become more significant - in my opinion - than it deserves to be. It doesn’t seem unreasonable to wonder if its impact  could be lowered.

Ever heard of the 'surrender' call? 

54 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Ever heard of the 'surrender' call? 

Yes. An unfortunate addition to the interpretation of the rules which is unreliable and diminishes the game. But, as always in such discussions, only my opinion, and one, I suspect, not widely shared.

Archived