The 2024 Valkyrie Thread

Gav Wilson

Another England International signed - excellent acquisition - but it seems the squad has five out-and-out wingers, plus Emma Kershaw and Georgie Hetherington who both played there last season. 

I wonder if Carrie Roberts didn't want to go again next year or if the club prefers to bring on younger players. 

With Aimee Staveley retiring, Elisa Akpa returning to France and Grace Field defecting to Leeds it seems to me the squad is a bit light in the forward department. The first choice pack looks great but there's not much cover for injuries. However, I'm sure there'll be a plan!

I really enjoyed watching the Valkyrie last season. A pity it's such a long break before next. Do others agree the squad looks a bit unbalanced?

12 hours ago, HolmeKnight said:

Another England International signed - excellent acquisition - but it seems the squad has five out-and-out wingers, plus Emma Kershaw and Georgie Hetherington who both played there last season. 

I wonder if Carrie Roberts didn't want to go again next year or if the club prefers to bring on younger players. 

With Aimee Staveley retiring, Elisa Akpa returning to France and Grace Field defecting to Leeds it seems to me the squad is a bit light in the forward department. The first choice pack looks great but there's not much cover for injuries. However, I'm sure there'll be a plan!

I really enjoyed watching the Valkyrie last season. A pity it's such a long break before next. Do others agree the squad looks a bit unbalanced?

Elisa Akpa stated that, if possible, she wanted to play the whole of next season for the Valkyrie. Fingers crossed......

Jess Sharp - still only 18 - will step up to make more regular starts in the pack, and Daisy Sanderson will also see more game time.

I'd also hazard a guess that T'leesha Frederick-Maynard from the U19's squad may get a bit of game time at prop. I watched her play three times for the U19s, and she stood out in each match as the forward making the hard carries. She was one of the three U19s who were loaned to Huddersfield for a WSL match when they were short.  

Edited by RBKnight
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

WIth the season approaching, I've had a look at the bookies odds with Skybet. The Valks are second favourites at 13/8 to win the Grand Final, with Leeds the 6/4 favourites. In the Women.s Challenge Cup, the Valks are favourites at 2/1, Leeds are 5/2, and St Helens 3/1

Wigan have announced their squad so looking forward to Valkyrie announcing the squad.

I heard Carrie Roberts may be going around again but nothing confirmed at this stage.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/03/2024 at 08:49, cookesp said:

I’m surprised there has been so little news about the squad.

Couple of signings announced this morning.

• Thanks 1

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

On 05/02/2024 at 21:07, BroncoFan said:

Wigan have announced their squad so looking forward to Valkyrie announcing the squad.

I heard Carrie Roberts may be going around again but nothing confirmed at this stage.

Confirmed with a squad number yesterday

• Like 1

Would be great if the Valks can achieve the same success as last season and will try to get to a few more games this season as long it doesn't clash with the knights.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2024 at 18:49, Yorkstacker said:

Looks a very strong squad. They deserve more support. 

Worth pointing out that since the Valkyrie could pull a 1,200 crowd on a stand-alone basis last season, and the Knights average home gate is 2,000, York supporters are proportionately far more supportive of their women's team than other leading clubs. Leeds, Saints and Wigan's gates for their women's fixtures would  have to be around 8,000 to compare!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Worth pointing out that since the Valkyrie could pull a 1,200 crowd on a stand-alone basis last season, and the Knights average home gate is 2,000, York supporters are proportionately far more supportive of their women's team than other leading clubs. Leeds, Saints and Wigan's gates for their women's fixtures would  have to be around 8,000 to compare!

on the other hand with the city's population and catchment area the men are massively undersuported

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...