Jump to content
The Daddy

Is Amazon Prime bidding for SL?

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Copa said:

The world is changing and it’s changing fast. 

My kids think Foxtel is old fashioned.  They watch their sports via apps streamed to a TV or computer screen. I suspect only middle aged people and older watch Foxtel these days. 

I dropped Foxtel earlier this year and stream sport via the Kayo app. 

 

Yeah I get that Copa, Kayo being a subsidiary of Foxtel to entertain the streaming market. 

But shifting to Amazon is only going to further hide the sport behind a non sport specific paywall that is less likely to draw those flicking through the sports channels.

Lets not forget that the pubs won’t be signing up to Amazon TV any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Copa said:

The world is changing and it’s changing fast. 

My kids think Foxtel is old fashioned.  They watch their sports via apps streamed to a TV or computer screen. I suspect only middle aged people and older watch Foxtel these days. 

I dropped Foxtel earlier this year and stream sport via the Kayo app. 

 

I don't know what the situation is in Aus, but the "death of TV" is massively overstated. 

spacer.png

Yes, streaming is growing but it is a long, long way from overtaking TV as the primary medium. 

Streaming is a difficult market at the moment and it's about to get massively saturated. Every man and his dog is seemingly launching some sort of streaming service - Amazon, Netflix, Sky Boxsets, Apple TV, NowTV, HBO Max, NBCUniversal, Britbox, DAZN, HeyU, Disney Life, Eleven Sport, YouTube.... There are only so many that the market can sustain, some will inevitably fail (Eleven Sport already has) and if RL backs the wrong horse, you're looking at the same sort of fall out that we saw with ITV Digital or Kircsh Media in Germany.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I don't know what the situation is in Aus, but the "death of TV" is massively overstated. 

spacer.png

Yes, streaming is growing but it is a long, long way from overtaking TV as the primary medium. 

Streaming is a difficult market at the moment and it's about to get massively saturated. Every man and his dog is seemingly launching some sort of streaming service - Amazon, Netflix, Sky Boxsets, Apple TV, NowTV, HBO Max, NBCUniversal, Britbox, DAZN, HeyU, Disney Life, Eleven Sport, YouTube.... There are only so many that the market can sustain, some will inevitably fail (Eleven Sport already has) and if RL backs the wrong horse, you're looking at the same sort of fall out that we saw with ITV Digital or Kircsh Media in Germany.

It'd be interesting to see the breakdown of age groups. E.g. is it a trend that the young 'uns are watching via more streaming services in comparison to the old farts who will gradually be dying off? Or are there no discernible differences between age groups?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

It'd be interesting to see the breakdown of age groups. E.g. is it a trend that the young 'uns are watching via more streaming services in comparison to the old farts who will gradually be dying off? Or are there no discernible differences between age groups?

Ofcom surveys 16-34 year olds for their "young people" sample and yes, they do lean more to 'on demand' content vs broadcast TV (42% broadcast vs 69% as a UK average). That said, live TV is still the biggest source of entertainment and it's also worth noting that they watch less TV/video overall. 

There is also the "Knopfler effect" to factor in - the theory that, as those younger generations age, their tastes and behaviours actually revert to and follow predicatble norms. Young people may be watching less video content overall and streaming more now, but history tells us that as they age, they'll start watching more video content - and that will invariably mean that they'll watch more broadcast TV. 

The biggest single 'channel' for that group however is YouTube, averaging at 1h 04m per day and that is why I think it's important that whatever TV deal we do end up with allows SL & clubs to really use channels like YouTube. Ensuring that we don't like Sky or any other broadcaster "lock down" the digital rights is much more important about wondering whether to jump into bed with Netflix, Amazon or any other SVOD provider. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/12/2019 at 09:36, Dave T said:

I expect this isn't true personally, but it would be great if a provider grabbed hold of the game and did what BT did with RU. The level of promotion and fees they paid them was far above the value based on viewing figures. 

I worry about going further behind pay walls, but I did like the quality of the football they put out the other night. 

Most people have prime for next day delivery.. the tv is just an added bonus.

This would open a market to new fans especially as they now have soccer.

Also it's an easy sell to the other half.. well we could get prime so your shopping gets delivered next day 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

super league has to copy the nrl and have more games on tv.  ideally one on terrestrial and the rest on pay tv.  this shouldve happened ten years ago too.

the nrl grew enormously by having all games covered on tv.

this might help get a bigger tv deal as well although it might have a short term impact on crowds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, aj1908 said:

super league has to copy the nrl and have more games on tv.  ideally one on terrestrial and the rest on pay tv.  this shouldve happened ten years ago too.

the nrl grew enormously by having all games covered on tv.

this might help get a bigger tv deal as well although it might have a short term impact on crowds

If only it was that simple. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, aj1908 said:

super league has to copy the nrl and have more games on tv.  ideally one on terrestrial and the rest on pay tv.  this shouldve happened ten years ago too.

the nrl grew enormously by having all games covered on tv.

this might help get a bigger tv deal as well although it might have a short term impact on crowds

What is the history behind broadcasting RL in Oz? When did they move to every game being shown? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What is the history behind broadcasting RL in Oz? When did they move to every game being shown? 

In the superleague war. That's pretty much what it was about - pay TV rights. Though it's only in the last decade that TV deals have started wrapping it all up so 9 and Fox share the best games evenly, and even more recently that fox even started showing games that are also on 9.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dave T said:

What is the history behind broadcasting RL in Oz? When did they move to every game being shown? 

Originally we had only one or two games a week on terrestrial tv.

Then as another poster said Murdoch wanted the pay tv rights and fought with Kerry packed for them 

Ultimately Murdoch won and built.his pay tv network off them

We.now we three games a week on terrestrial tv ie Thursday night Friday night and Sunday afternoon 

Pay tv also gets these games simulcast 

Pay also has exclusive games being Friday 6 pm

Sat has two games usually 5.30 and 7.30 pm

Sunday has an earlier game at 2

No games are on at the same time 

It helped the game a lot the extra exposure from only having two games a week on tv 

The game used to have Monday night's as well.  

Edited by aj1908
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...