Sign in to follow this  
Sports Prophet

Should Americas have more seats at the WC table

7 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

The governing bodies of the game in those countries don't have any money for such a competition and little prospect of attracting any, so how would they pay for it?

Grants from IRL, NRL, RFL, RLEF, national grants, commercial partners, players themselves etc etc.

In essence, it is something the first three organisations above should be funding. Anything on top is cream.

7 hours ago, AB90 said:

I think 16 teams is the max. And that's pushing it imo. The recent cricket world cup only had teams and that's a much bigger sport worldwide. 

I'm not an advocate of having minow teams that would struggle in the championship. 

16 teams is the right number to have and we should stick with that for a long period of time.

Question marks remain as to whether scrapping the Super Groups format was a good move, 2021 will test that.

We need pre tournament sales to be strong as large drubbings will make these tough to sell once the tournaments underway , these games involving the big teams will be a challenge England v Greece, Australia v Scotland, Australia v Italy, NZ v Lebanon, NZ v Jamaica, NZ v Ireland 

On 24/01/2020 at 07:50, Eddie said:

I don’t want to let anyone who’s able to play to be in the competition, teams should have to be of a certain standard otherwise the tournament will become a laughing stock.

Requirements such as a domestic league with x number of teams in or number of registered players in that country would be good too, as well as a minimum number of players from said league in the WC squad, so you can’t have 20-odd blokes from the Queensland and NSW cups rocking up to represent a country none of them have been to before.

With all of that, having a 16 team cup with a competitive qualification process finding the best 16 teams would be marvellous. 

That's already the case. You have to be an Affiliate member to qualify. 

There's also domestic quotas for qualification.

In the press release about the qualifiers for 2021 the then RLIF stated that there would be 2 Americas spots plus the repecharge.

It was a mistake on their part.

Right now we need development officers in the Americas. That's number 1. 

We've got countries yelling out for help but get nothing.

new rise.jpg

57 minutes ago, Pulga said:

That's already the case. You have to be an Affiliate member to qualify. 

There's also domestic quotas for qualification.

In the press release about the qualifiers for 2021 the then RLIF stated that there would be 2 Americas spots plus the repecharge.

It was a mistake on their part.

Right now we need development officers in the Americas. That's number 1. 

We've got countries yelling out for help but get nothing.

Who’s going to pay for development officers in the Americas?

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Who’s going to pay for development officers in the Americas?

The same people who are employing the new Chair and two independent directors.

http://rlif.com/article/8816/

And Head of Judiciary.

http://rlif.com/article/8843/

They're building a shop with no customer base.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

16 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

IRL, RFL, NRL for a start

It’s easy to spend other people’s money. If the RFL had a pot to ###### in I’d want development officers in this country. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Any idea what the RLIF’s finances are like?

I don't mate. But they've gone from zero full time employees, to one, to now possibly close to ten.

I'd assume these one-time lawyers aren't doing this for pocket change. You'd be able to fund 2 or 3 development officers on one wage in Asia, Latin America and Africa.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

23 hours ago, Eddie said:

It’s easy to spend other people’s money. If the RFL had a pot to ###### in I’d want development officers in this country. 

Then I hope you’re not one of the many on this forum that keep harping on about internationals being the catalyst to growth.

26 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Then I hope you’re not one of the many on this forum that keep harping on about internationals being the catalyst to growth.

There are a number of potential catalysts to growth, one of them being internationals and another being a strong domestic game. 

52 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Id like to see the Americas emulate the Euro Championships format that is being discussed on another thread.

Unfortunately the distances which American countries would have to traverse for an American Championship dwarf the more modest differences in Europe so that's likely a long way off yet.