Garry Schofield wonders who compiled an RFL list of the greatest coaches in the game

I suppose it depends on what era/generation you're from as to who the best coaches are?

I suspect many people involved in putting these lists together won't have been around when the likes of Francis, Whiteley, even Bunting were doing their stuff and so just go from what they know and experienced?

Personally, I would have Alex Murphy up there, simply because he turned my club around when we were at our lowest, back then, i wasn't aware of his past, but what he did for Huddersfield, along with his time at Warrington, Leigh and Wigan would put him up there.

As for the others, yes they are all successful in their own way, Kear masterminded 2 unexpected cup wins and steered Wakefield away from relegation, but that shouldn't make him one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game.

McDermott, yes his silverware haul is impressive,  but he did inherit a great side at the peak of their powers, but how much influence did the likes of Peacock, Sinfield, Burrow, McGuire etc have? even some Leeds fans suggest he got a bit lucky, once those players faded, so did Leeds' and possibly McDermott's star.

Bennett, growing up he was the top coach in Australia, but that counts for nothing really when you consider his stint as national coach here, he's never coached at top club level over here, so that would go against him in my opinion.

So i don't disagree too much with Schofield on this.

Archived