Catalans and Toulouse told they can’t play at home until September (Merged threads)

I agree that the Superleague season should be abandoned in its current form... play out the challenge cup... a form of round robin league contest ... and a couple of nines weekends

then start again ( same teams in same tiers) next season

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Wollongong said:

I agree that the Superleague season should be abandoned in its current form... play out the challenge cup... a form of round robin league contest ... and a couple of nines weekends

then start again ( same teams in same tiers) next season

None of that will raise any money. The only thing that matters is what Sky wants as they'll be providing 90% of the sport's revenues while there's no spectators - and they want the Superleague contract honoured.

So we play out superleague from whenever we can to whenever it takes to finish, and the lower leagues will have to just mothball until 2021 and we start again then. 

On 30/04/2020 at 20:13, Hullfan said:

In what way do their contribute to the home teams their play against? I.e fans??? I'll tell you because you won't get it. Nothing is the answer. 

Anyone who brings up the ''no away fans'' argument needs to be dragged out of the 20th century and into the 21st.

So, " no away fans". Is this zero fans, or 0 to 25, 0 to 50, 0 to 100. We need to be told. 

Think Batley fans who turned up at Widnes, numbered about 15? 

Is that "no fans"? Cos they definitely made some noise.

18 hours ago, doc said:

So, " no away fans". Is this zero fans, or 0 to 25, 0 to 50, 0 to 100. We need to be told. 

Think Batley fans who turned up at Widnes, numbered about 15? 

Is that "no fans"? Cos they definitely made some noise.

I was referring to the people who use that as an argument against any club that is outside the M62. If this were the case rl wouldn't grow outside the next few suburbs.

6 hours ago, Omott91 said:

I was referring to the people who use that as an argument against any club that is outside the M62. If this were the case rl wouldn't grow outside the next few suburbs.

The No or very few away fans does not help the match day expierence as far as I'm concerned whether that is at home or away, the match for me starts pre-game in a pub partaking in banter with the opposition supporter's carried on walking to the ground then the expierence inside the ground is not the same without a good portion of fans from both camps noisy enough to be heard.

In the Championship at Leigh it is good when the Bulls or Fev visit they fetch a good few noisy bhuggers and away Leigh invariably take 500+ very noisy bhuggers which added to the home support generates a good atmosphere.

Watching from an armchair at home I find it very pale and bland, albeit I do watch everthing that is screened there no comparison to attending 'live' in my opinion, personally am I missing the game on TV a little yes but not 1/10th as much as I am missing the joy of going to a live game especially when the attendance from both clubs contributes to the atmosphere.

PS Omott, if you are actually a Knight's fan, do you get many opposition fans at your ground, I have been and being based in Sydney at the time I realise it is a good drive, and do the Newcastle fans and your goodself travel to away games in good number's, just curious by your comments.

15 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The No or very few away fans does not help the match day expierence as far as I'm concerned whether that is at home or away, the match for me starts pre-game in a pub partaking in banter with the opposition supporter's carried on walking to the ground then the expierence inside the ground is not the same without a good portion of fans from both camps noisy enough to be heard.

In the Championship at Leigh it is good when the Bulls or Fev visit they fetch a good few noisy bhuggers and away Leigh invariably take 500+ very noisy bhuggers which added to the home support generates a good atmosphere.

Watching from an armchair at home I find it very pale and bland, albeit I do watch everthing that is screened there no comparison to attending 'live' in my opinion, personally am I missing the game on TV a little yes but not 1/10th as much as I am missing the joy of going to a live game especially when the attendance from both clubs contributes to the atmosphere.

PS Omott, if you are actually a Knight's fan, do you get many opposition fans at your ground, I have been and being based in Sydney at the time I realise it is a good drive, and do the Newcastle fans and your goodself travel to away games in good number's, just curious by your comments.

Certainly am a Knights fan and member (even converted my father who was a diehard Manly fan until their unsuccessful merge with North Sydney) and yes, there is nothing like being at the ground live. I go to 5 games a year depending on timeslot and one of the best moments was when Mitchell Pearce got the 1 pointer in golden point in his first game for Newcastle. I'll never forget the roar of 20k people as it went over.

Yes, we do get opposition fans with maybe a couple bus loads if they don't drive up from Sydney themselves. I do believe that most people who turn up in opposition colours actually live in Newcastle but support different Nrl teams, and from experience it's St George Illawarra or Canterbury Bulldogs that are the best supported outside Knights fans in Newcastle. No, I don't travel to our away games.

Australia's sporting landscape is very different compared to the Uk because of the vast distances between clubs outside Sydney, hence why the ''no away fans'' argument isn't even a consideration here and why I don't agree with some people who say there shouldn't be a team in Location X because they won't bring fans.

Archived