Player Draft and Regional Academies

Moove

35 minutes ago, Spidey said:

That just seems like a mechanism for a players agent to sweep the best talent and make more money for himself 

He thinks theres going to be less and less clubs running Academys going forward, so he claims its to try to keep as many youngsters in the game as possible. Does it really matter if he makes money out of it? If his  potential Academy was offering more chances, or better chances for young players to have a career in the game...I couldnt care less if he makes a profit.

You know when you go out to a restaurant with friends and there is always that guy who had three courses, an extra side and a bottle of wine who then says "are we splitting this evenly then?" when the bill comes? This sounds like that guy.

The clubs that attract the best playing talent are almost always the clubs that invest in it. If Blease wants to improve the quality of young talent at Salford, it is up to him to prioritse that - not to basically "split the cheque" with other clubs.

But above all else, this seems to be another one of those classic RL moments where someone spends more time focusing on how we shoud split the pie, rather than on how they can make the pie bigger. 

Clubs can argue about how we divide a small player pool, but the much more productive thing to do is discuss how we make that pool bigger - and it invariably means that more clubs need to pull more of their weight on issues like community engagement, reaching new audiences and encouraging those new people to become invested in the sport. 

12 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

He thinks theres going to be less and less clubs running Academys going forward, so he claims its to try to keep as many youngsters in the game as possible. Does it really matter if he makes money out of it? If his  potential Academy was offering more chances, or better chances for young players to have a career in the game...I couldnt care less if he makes a profit.

The root cause should be fixed ie more clubs running academies. If you claim to be an elite club this should be a basic requirement 

I doubt the player pool would increase in his model just that all the best players would be at his “super academy” 

13 hours ago, Spidey said:

The root cause should be fixed ie more clubs running academies. If you claim to be an elite club this should be a basic requirement 

I doubt the player pool would increase in his model just that all the best players would be at his “super academy” 

Its highly likely the player pool would increase because theres 1 more academy taking players on.

Harrison cant force clubs to run an Academy, I totally agrre with you that clubs should be forced to run them at superleague level, but thats a different discussion and not something Harrison can control.

I also doubt his Academy would be getting all the best players

A contributor to these TRL Forums wrote an excellent post a long while back about Player Development, including Regional Academies. It was a very good piece. Probably the best post I've ever seen on TRL. Wish I could locate it and link it now..........

I've just had a read through. It's a well thought out plan but some of the replies made some good points against. I think most clubs are still going to run an academy so it should be mandatory. There just needs to be something put in place to assist community clubs after u16 and also a system to identify late developers. The clubs could dual reg academy players back to the community game so that they are allowed to play for a community club if not picked in the academy 17 which might help. The pro club can also assist with local college teams and u18 teams and maybe even promote any promising players to their academy side, again on a dual reg system. They could then help to direct players from college and their academies back to the community game if they don't progress any further with the professional club

Archived