NRL Defences

MZH

For as long as I can remember I have associated the NRL with good defence. There would be the occasional blow out, but the majority of games were hard fought contests where points were hard to come by and it took a special play to break a side down.

What has happened this year? I don't watch every game, far from it, but every week I'm seeing big scores, soft tries and comfortable wins. Have rule changes made a difference? Not having fans in? Extra workload due to covid? 

I think the new rules have played a part, theres also been a fair few clubs in coaching turmoil, which will have an effect. 

Fatigue has certainly played a role in unlocking a fair few defences.

That being said, the defences are still pretty strong in the most part, i especially like the determination and effort in goal line defence within the NRL.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

The australia way is to manage a game and not score points. They will rarely put on moves/offloads in their own half.

This for me leads to more arm wrestles.

The six again is also a major factor to counter this as you can get out of your own half and then become more attacking.

I think referees unintentionally I hope seem to level games up and keep teams close, but now the six again has come in they can no longer do this, a few penalties in their own half help teams out, but now a team that isn't getting any go forward still doesn't get many extra  mètres  with six again compared to a penalty. 

Archived