Jump to content

Ball steal as the tackle is completed - a third option


Recommended Posts

The penalty decision that won the game for Leeds tonight was marginal. On balance I think it was correct given that the only other decision the ref could have given would have been play on, which would have been harsh on Leeds. I think the ref should be given a third option when the timing of events is so marginal i.e. the judgement of exactly when the strip is effected in relation to when the tackle is judged complete or the judgement of whether the arm on the floor was actually carrying the ball.

In the same way as a player playing on after a tackle is judged complete can be brought back to play the ball rather than be penalised, I believe there should be the option to order the ball be returned to the player who had the ball stripped to play the ball.  If that had been applied tonight, there would have been a 90% chance that Luke Gale drops a goal on the next play instead of a 99.99% chance of Rhys Martin kicking the penalty! 😉

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be an option but players would then keep trying to strip the ball after held is called knowing they will not be penalised. No doubt some would use it as a tactic to slow the play the ball down.

I wish they would scrap the whole rule, it has just resulted in a scrappy play the ball.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a tough call we just  have to accept the ref decision. Even with the NRL captain challenge it could have gone either way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

It was a tough call we just  have to accept the ref decision. Even with the NRL captain challenge it could have gone either way. 

They would’ve 100% supported the ref. Although he started stripping the ball when it was up he was down and any momentum had stopped when he finally ripped it out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

They would’ve 100% supported the ref. Although he started stripping the ball when it was up he was down and any momentum had stopped when he finally ripped it out. 

I dont care about who won or lost enjoyed it because it was in the balance all the way. But like everyone I have an opinion and thought it was one were if you were Wakefield you thought it was tough and if you were Leeds you thought he got it right. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I dont care about who won or lost enjoyed it because it was in the balance all the way. But like everyone I have an opinion and thought it was one were if you were Wakefield you thought it was tough and if you were Leeds you thought he got it right. 

Wouldn’t disagree with that but as has been pointed out earlier because the ball came out at the tackle the ref had to make a decision. I think it was only going to go one way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Wouldn’t disagree with that but as has been pointed out earlier because the ball came out at the tackle the ref had to make a decision. I think it was only going to go one way. 

Its a bit like conversational tennis so I will finish by saying I understand your view. 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Magic Rat said:

I wish they would scrap the whole rule, it has just resulted in a scrappy play the ball.

Our PTB in the UK is often not a PTB. That fact is rather more significant in relation to mess than the ball-stealing rule.

1 hour ago, The Magic Rat said:

It could be an option but players would then keep trying to strip the ball after held is called knowing they will not be penalised. No doubt some would use it as a tactic to slow the play the ball down.

The decision on whether the ball was stripped before or after the tackle was complete is no different from the cases where the ball comes loose on the ground after the tackle is complete.

In RL there`s a tendency for opponents of a rule change to think that any difficulties in applying it are new and unusual, when in truth these are merely the consequence of principles that govern the application of other rules which haven`t been changed.

Throughout a game the ref has to determine when every tackle is complete. This is not altered by changing the ball-stealing rule.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...