Newcastle

Chorlton Pete

Ive been watching Mayfield since those meetings...I watched and Enjoyed the progress of Matty Ashton and Paul Brierley and has the strange pleasure of actually witnessing Matt Callands Swansong....What a Character and a player he was and still is! alongside an ex Oldham out and out rugby star of nearly the same age*....Can you guess?

When we moved to Whitebank Stadium under Tony Benson Oldham/Chris Hamilton had I think a genuine Opportunity to try something new.

To this day I can remember me my son and daughter patting down the Turf around the goalposts and the Family atmosphere there was...It was memorable.

I shudder to think of those Brave warriors playing Rugby League on that Iron Hard weed covered Sloping Pitch...

To this day I have no idea why the opportunity was missed but it was and that`s history.

I`ve got over it and have really enjoyed watching the amateur game...

All I can say is that if the RFL get blindsided by the Superleague wanting the vast majority of the money they will kill the game. Ralph Rimmer, Like Chris Hamilton, Has got a lot on his plate!

*Houghie...What a Rugby Star!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eclecticsheep said:

Ive been watching Mayfield since those meetings...I watched and Enjoyed the progress of Matty Ashton and Paul Brierley and has the strange pleasure of actually witnessing Matt Callands Swansong....What a Character and a player he was and still is! alongside an ex Oldham out and out rugby star of nearly the same age*....Can you guess?

When we moved to Whitebank Stadium under Tony Benson Oldham/Chris Hamilton had I think a genuine Opportunity to try something new.

To this day I can remember me my son and daughter patting down the Turf around the goalposts and the Family atmosphere there was...It was memorable.

I shudder to think of those Brave warriors playing Rugby League on that Iron Hard weed covered Sloping Pitch...

To this day I have no idea why the opportunity was missed but it was and that`s history.

I`ve got over it and have really enjoyed watching the amateur game...

All I can say is that if the RFL get blindsided by the Superleague wanting the vast majority of the money they will kill the game. Ralph Rimmer, Like Chris Hamilton, Has got a lot on his plate!

*Houghie...What a Rugby Star!

I too like the amateur game, I watch Saddleworth and can't wait to start watching it again. Houghie was class. 

I haven't got any knives out for Chris or any members of the team, I just think there was an opportunity to make the club great once again, but that ship has certainly gone.

If on the playing side things don't improve we will be in championship 1 next year, but once the clubs realise that there isn't a pot of gold being handed down from Super League will there be a Championship 1, how many clubs will go bust, as it follows straight after the Covid pandemic and playing outside the borough certainly doesn't help if we are trying to engage with children from the borough   

It may be a bit simplistic to highlight one reason for the current plight of Oldham RL but playing outside the Borough must be high on the list for being unable to build or promote the club.  Nomadic clubs - e,g, Swinton, Sheffield, North Wales Crusaders and London Broncos - all have a common problem, bring homeless makes it almost impossible to build or even sustain a loyal RL following. The people of Stalybridge are not, in general, RL folk so getting the club back into town has got to be a priority. Impossible dream? I hope not.

Archived