NRL Match Thread - Round 15 - 2021

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Dragons penalty is replied to with a Raiders try from Tapine.

SGI 8:20 CAN

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nice try for Beale, started with a good run by Hunt. Conversion missed.

12:20

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another St George try, finished by the debutant FB Sloan.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wighton try chalked off - obstruction.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

@The Rocket, can we say the merger with Illawarra has worked? It doesn’t look to be the most hospitable of nights, but that is a very small crowd by the looks. Do you think those of the Illawarra are accepting of the Dragons? 

I have no doubt RL can work in Wollongong, but maybe not as a merged Sydney identity that hosts 6 games a season?

I expect one day when Wollongong`s population reaches a critical mass Saints will relocate their permanently.

In a situation that perhaps the Tigers/Magpies would have envisaged, with a joint venture primarily based where their juniors and growth is, yet continuing to play a couple of home games each year at their traditional home ground, Leichardt, and continuing to enjoy the support of the Balmain Leagues club and the sponsors that are still attached to the Tigers brand. The same situation could parallel St. George`s relationship with the Illawarra.

Well we know what happened to Balmain Leagues club, but I believe that side of the joint-venture is still responsible for attracting a large proportion of their sponsorship revenue. The St. George brand and Leagues club could serve a similar role.

In some ways I think the eventual relocation of Saints should serve as a template for any club contemplating relocation long-term. Do it over a 20 year plus period, take several games there every year, let the locals become attached to your brand, I think this would make the eventual relocation there full-time easier when it does eventually happen.

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

@The Rocket, can we say the merger with Illawarra has worked? It doesn’t look to be the most hospitable of nights, but that is a very small crowd by the looks. Do you think those of the Illawarra are accepting of the Dragons? 

I have no doubt RL can work in Wollongong, but maybe not as a merged Sydney identity that hosts 6 games a season?

Nearly 10 000 there in absolutely atrocious NSW weather, I`d call that a pretty good result, and back in the top eight to boot.

Final Score - St George-Illawarra 22:20 Canberra

Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I expect one day when Wollongong`s population reaches a critical mass Saints will relocate their permanently.

Important what then happens to junior RL in the Dragons traditional area. It already looks pretty thin. I`ve noticed in some grades clubs in the Dragons junior league have to field teams in the Cronulla league.

If they let participation slide, and another NRL club doesn`t pick up the slack, that`s another area of Sydney for AFL and Soccer to grow in. The rapidly changing demographics in some of those suburbs mean fewer people with existing family ties to the club and the game.

28:0 now, with Asofa-Solomona being the latest scorer.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tamou's off to the bench already, and looks like he's in shock.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Melbourne are rubbish - it's been several whole minutes since they last scored! :kolobok_wink:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Normal service has resumed. Reimis Smith benefits from a Tigers knock-on.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived