Sat 26 Jun: Wheelchair Intl - England vs Wales KO 12.30pm

Looking forward to it!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Coverage has started.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Currently England 10:6 Wales on 17 minutes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Temporary fault with the stream. 😞 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

England's pace and experience is showing on the scoreboard now. 24:6.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

What happens if a player runs out of tags? Do they just stop while the player goes and gets some more?? 

Not sure, but they all have lots of spares, and can probably have some more brought to them by the team staff, when the action isn't directly involving them, and of course during stoppages.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is also the Welsh team's first match in proper competition-style chairs, by the way, so I'm sure this is a steep learning curve right in every way for them.

Half Time - England 42:10 Wales

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The commentary team mentioned that the BBC would also be showing the Wheelchair Challenge Cup Final.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

HT. England 42-10 Wales

Must say, I've never watched much wheelchair league at all but that was really enjoyable! A lot faster, a lot more physical than I was expecting and some great skills on show, especially the handling, much of the catching and throwing being one-handed. Yeah, great fun that! 

It is so much more like Rugby than the Olympic version, too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It is so much more like Rugby than the Olympic version, too.

Yeah I was thinking during that first half that it was amazing how similar the rules are to a regular game of rugby league, there really wasn't much different there apart from players obviously not being tackled to the ground. Every other rule seemed to be enforced just as it would be in any other version of RL. 

Interesting you mention the Olympics there as well because I was actually thinking, would this be RL's way into the Olympics? Obviously union got into the Olympics with an alternative version of their game, could we do the same here?? 🤔

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Interesting you mention the Olympics there as well because I was actually thinking, would this be RL's way into the Olympics? Obviously union got into the Olympics with an alternative version of their game, could we do the same here?? 🤔

Olympic Wheelchair Rugby is well established and has a big international footprint, so the Paralympics people would probably see it as muddying the waters if they introduced a different version.

It'd be nice if it happened, though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Olympic Wheelchair Rugby is well established and has a big international footprint, so the Paralympics people would probably see it as muddying the waters if they introduced a different version.

It'd be nice if it happened, though.

Fair enough, I actually didn't realise that, I'm not big into the Olympics.

Fair enough, I actually didn't realise that, I'm not big into the Olympics.

The other version is especially popular in the USA, where the 2005 documentary "Murderball" was Oscar-nominated.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is this high level of scoring usual or is this just England being so much more experienced than Wales? 

Wheelchair Super League Round 1 Results:
Hull FC 40 Halifax 68
Halifax 64 Argonauts 44
Hull FC 10 Argonauts 76
Leyland Warriors 76-9 North Wales Crusaders
North Wales Crusaders 26-86 Leeds Rhinos
Leyland Warriors 30-44 Leeds Rhinos

It is a high-scoring game but yes, England are a much more established and experienced team.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived