Sun 4th Jul: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

Well, I posted earlier that today's game in Colwyn Bay would be an occasion and it didn't disappoint.

We were cruising at 26-0 in the first half an hour of the game, and to be honest, Keighley looked surprisingly poor up to that point. Then two converted tries to the visitors before half time seemed to give them fresh belief, and they  pulled back to lead 28-26 with about 15 minutes remaining.

Then another turning point as we get two penalties to bring the score to 30-28 and then a try in the corner with 2 minutes to go for the win. But even then, it could still have finished in a draw. A fantastic advert for League 1.

It was a great atmosphere today, with groups of fans from all over North Wales supporting the Cru, from Anglesey, Wrexham and along the coast and quite a few union fans enjoying the experience as well. And not forgetting of course the Keighley fans who got behind their team throughout the match. Heard the attendance was about 460, but not heard an actual figure, which is about 30% up on the average at Queensway.

A great venue, a great match, and after reading about the Coventry result, a great league.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, fearnowt said:

Well, I posted earlier that today's game in Colwyn Bay would be an occasion and it didn't disappoint.

We were cruising at 26-0 in the first half an hour of the game, and to be honest, Keighley looked surprisingly poor up to that point. Then two converted tries to the visitors before half time seemed to give them fresh belief, and they  pulled back to lead 28-26 with about 15 minutes remaining.

Then another turning point as we get two penalties to bring the score to 30-28 and then a try in the corner with 2 minutes to go for the win. But even then, it could still have finished in a draw. A fantastic advert for League 1.

It was a great atmosphere today, with groups of fans from all over North Wales supporting the Cru, from Anglesey, Wrexham and along the coast and quite a few union fans enjoying the experience as well. And not forgetting of course the Keighley fans who got behind their team throughout the match. Heard the attendance was about 460, but not heard an actual figure, which is about 30% up on the average at Queensway.

A great venue, a great match, and after reading about the Coventry result, a great league.

I am away, so couldn't be there... So looking forward to next home game ☺️

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

After all the nonsense of moving and what not, that´s not too bad. Game like that should have them coming back. Hope next season clubs like NWC have some clear plans to push for four figures in the attendances. 

Barrow rocking it again. Really hope they go up now and take that momentum into next season. Getting 2000 vs Doncaster, wonder what they can drag in versus Widnes and Bradford. 

Hardly any away fans in that 2k gate, Wukkie brought somewhere near 4 or 500 in last weeks 3200 gate, So approximately 2600/2700 Home fans for the derby.

The BoD at Barrow fully deserve these increased attendances due to all their community outreach which is clearly working & all the Non Match Day activities that are also supported well by the community.

This momentum is great & I fully expect Barrow to win the league then enter the Championship a far stronger club that recently left it…..

23 minutes ago, mickmike wilson said:

This momentum is great & I fully expect Barrow to win the league then enter the Championship a far stronger club that recently left it…..

That’s key isn’t it? Continuing momentum rather than losing it when promoted. 

13 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

That’s key isn’t it? Continuing momentum rather than losing it when promoted. 

Exactly mate, But keeping it on & off the field can be tricky so I hope it continues & there’s never been a better time for us atm

21 hours ago, Bearman said:

The Hunslet supporters had been very vocal when they were winning but at least one fan turned nasty and threatened some local lads. One of them then decided to pick on Bears owner and former Irish Prop Alan Robinson. He told the fan he was just making rugby league look stupid and fortunately the fan decided that discretion was the better part of valour.

Some things don't change, unfortunately. Hunslet have some great fans but there's a small hardcore that have a real nasty, bitter edge to them.

I agree with you fully on the away support & you’re bang on about not relying on them & we don’t, I only mentioned it because the Attendance was down by a third & wanted to explain why.

Don’t know what last average was but surely that will be smashed which bodes well if the club can retain the interest 

22 hours ago, Route66 said:

At the half way point of the season will admit that Barrow probably have the strongest squad and should end up champions, however last week's draw proves that they aren't the world beaters some make them out to be,apart from one team at the moment, anyone is capable of beating anyone. Good luck also to West Wales, cant be easy turning out each week, but cant fault their effort and commitment 

Last week we had Ryan Shaw, Jarrad Stack, Ben Harrison, Gary Wheeler, Hakim Moloudi, Mark Tyson, Jordan Walne and Dan Toal all unavailable for selection hence had a second rower and a stand off in the centres. 

If half of them play consistently I think we will be hard to stop. Yesterday was the best performance I've seen in years, to win 31-6 against 2nd place playing 40 minutes with 12 men is some going. 

20 hours ago, FearNothing said:

I am away, so couldn't be there... So looking forward to next home game ☺️

Here you go, watch the whole game at your leisure. Assuming you don't want to watch the pre-match warm up, kick off is 27 minutes into the video.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

Archived