For years, decades in fact, a bloke sold RL World at Headingley after games outside the club shop. He was as much a fixture of going to games for me as the matches themselves! I got my RLW magazine from him. I once saw him on a bus in Wakefield and it was like seeing a teacher outside of school.

He's not been there for the past couple of matches I've been able to go to. I wonder if anyone knew anything?

Given what has happened in the past year, and the other faces not seen in their regular places, its impossible not to fear the worst. As I said he was a regular fixture of my "Headingley matchday experience" and I expect many others will have similar experiences of missing faces.

50 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

For years, decades in fact, a bloke sold RL World at Headingley after games outside the club shop. He was as much a fixture of going to games for me as the matches themselves! I got my RLW magazine from him. I once saw him on a bus in Wakefield and it was like seeing a teacher outside of school.

He's not been there for the past couple of matches I've been able to go to. I wonder if anyone knew anything?

Given what has happened in the past year, and the other faces not seen in their regular places, its impossible not to fear the worst. As I said he was a regular fixture of my "Headingley matchday experience" and I expect many others will have similar experiences of missing faces.

I've been to a few Oldham games and as you said there was some missing faces. As you said you fear the worst, all we can do is hope these faces reappear over time. I hope he's back selling the magazines soon. 

1 minute ago, moorside roughyed said:

I've been to a few Oldham games and as you said there was some missing faces. As you said you fear the worst, all we can do is hope these faces reappear over time. I hope he's back selling the magazines soon. 

On the reverse, its been good to see people have made it through. Not that these people are necessarily friends or people you ever talk to, but people with recognisable faces or weird oddities.

Another sport podcast I listened to did a feature on the sad story of fans who have lost loved one's they went to games with. Its a really odd scenario with people not feeling ready to give up season tickets for the seats of lost loved ones.

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

On the reverse, its been good to see people have made it through. Not that these people are necessarily friends or people you ever talk to, but people with recognisable faces or weird oddities.

Another sport podcast I listened to did a feature on the sad story of fans who have lost loved one's they went to games with. Its a really odd scenario with people not feeling ready to give up season tickets for the seats of lost loved ones.

Agreed, it's been great to see familiar faces that have been at games. You may not know them but it's a nice feeling. I'm just looking forward to the time when we can get shut of these masks and see people properly. Every smile, grimace, all of it. It's been a shocking time recently. 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

If you mean John Brook, whose usual place is selling programmes outside the South Stand pre-game (after which he roams the stadium selling "Open Rugby" for the rest of the evening) yes he's back.

He was in the North Sand concourse just after the end of the game last night.

E6_0vLNWQAA0XG1?format=jpg&name=large

Echo the stories of people making it through and the sadness of those who haven’t. Heard some really nice, heartwarming stories over the last year of people rallying around effective strangers beyond seeing their face and giving a nod to for years. 

Very strange but the first game back with a crowd at football, an old fella who goes everywhere watching the team said to my Dad how emotional he felt. Not at being back watching the club he’s spent years watching but through relief of seeing friends he had little to no contact with make it through the last year and a half. 

1 hour ago, M j M said:

If you mean John Brook, whose usual place is selling programmes outside the South Stand pre-game (after which he roams the stadium selling "Open Rugby" for the rest of the evening) yes he's back.

I'm so glad he's still with us, God knows how old he is but he used to sell programs when I first started going to Headingley in the late 60s and I thought he was old then, god bless him.

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Did he sell open rugby in the 80s and 90s? Would he be classed as an oap now?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

2 hours ago, M j M said:

The swine lol. He buys RL books at Car boot from me to sell on. Looks like 2 there. 😂😂😂

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

3 hours ago, M j M said:

Oh thank god.

I normally saw him after games by the St Michael's lane gates by the club shop. Will have to head towards the north stand now

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

I'm so glad he's still with us, God knows how old he is but he used to sell programs when I first started going to Headingley in the late 60s and I thought he was old then, god bless him.

That's what my dad said and he started going in the 80s 😅 We were both genuinely worried leaving the ground last night

The Leeds club really should get an oral history from John Brook and a couple of the other long-lived fans. John is still very, very sharp with recall of stuff from the 60s and before which would have made Harry Edgar proud.

Archived