Jump to content

RL in Liverpool


Eddie
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

You can't destroy that which never existed.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 02/03/2022 at 18:51, steve oates said:

Any plan to make a Liverpool Superleague team probably requires someone to pop in I'd say about £3,000,000 a year for very many years. A London championship RL team needs a subsidy of a £Million a year and Newcastle in the Championship probably needs £2 Million a year to be able to compete towards the next step.

Problem with Liverpool is that it is acutely aware of RL thanks to the nearby Saints, where many Liverpool RL fans will go to, and for Manchester many RL fans in the city can and do choose support Wigan. 

All these places are cosmopolitan, and most sports fans are happy to travel outside of their own back yard to watch top notch clubs. Everton has fans in numbers from North Wales. 

You say you have no confidence in "the administrators" to launch a Liverpool RL team, but the reason they don't even try it, is it is obviously is a total pipe dream unless you throw vast amounts of money at it over many years and may never get the returns even then.  Where do you think they can get this sort of money? 

Not in my experience. I don’t know anyone who has heard of them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Not in my experience. I don’t know anyone who has heard of them.

I’d say a fair few have (nowhere near half mind you), they’ll know they exist, but interest is minimal and agreed to say they’re acutely aware just isn’t correct. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Liverpool = Football. 

Everything else is as nothing.

Edited by doc
Can't spell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having tried over the years to create sustainable amateur RL Clubs in Connecticut, Ireland, Ellesmere Port (twice) and lastly Liverpool City I know how hard it can be, so best of luck to Liverpool Lizards. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/03/2022 at 19:51, steve oates said:

Any plan to make a Liverpool Superleague team probably requires someone to pop in I'd say about £3,000,000 a year for very many years. A London championship RL team needs a subsidy of a £Million a year and Newcastle in the Championship probably needs £2 Million a year to be able to compete towards the next step.

Problem with Liverpool is that it is acutely aware of RL thanks to the nearby Saints, where many Liverpool RL fans will go to, and for Manchester many RL fans in the city can and do choose support Wigan. 

All these places are cosmopolitan, and most sports fans are happy to travel outside of their own back yard to watch top notch clubs. Everton has fans in numbers from North Wales. 

You say you have no confidence in "the administrators" to launch a Liverpool RL team, but the reason they don't even try it, is it is obviously is a total pipe dream unless you throw vast amounts of money at it over many years and may never get the returns even then.  Where do you think they can get this sort of money? 

I dont think it needs that much due to proximity of player base.  It would need what all clubs need, infrastructure where they can generate revenue . 

You would be looking at six million for an appropriate stadium until SL and you would need to match the budget in League 1  (350k) then 500k to be competitive in Champ.

Could a club in Liverpool with its own facility generate enough rev to cover a mid table champ side? Probably. 

Issue for sport is unless you can double up with international income or Sponsors  (team in Glasgow or Wales with a commercial stake in national team) hard to see how people could make their money back. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

RL World Cup trophy was on display outside Anfield last night before the Liverpool Man United game. Was displayed outside the LFC shop.  Was surprised to see it given there are no games there anymore. I approached the staff there and was given a flyer promoting the tournament. Can’t say many people were paying any attention though. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tony Angelino said:

Professional/semi-professional RL may never take off in the city of Liverpool but that shouldn’t deter any efforts to develop a grassroots and schools program and pathways for children in the city.

Who would fund that? I think there would be better places to do it personally, if someone had the money and time to do it, places where football isn’t an all encompassing religion. I can’t think of a single player that’s come from Liverpool (James Graham is from Maghull before anyone mentions him). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Who would fund that? I think there would be better places to do it personally, if someone had the money and time to do it, places where football isn’t an all encompassing religion. I can’t think of a single player that’s come from Liverpool (James Graham is from Maghull before anyone mentions him). 

Not sure mate. Who funds schools RL in wigan or Leeds or London?

As it happens I’m a big advocate for expansion of grassroots RL in the north in places like Preston, Blackburn, Burnley and Lancaster etc over the south.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Tony Angelino said:

Not sure mate. Who funds schools RL in wigan or Leeds or London?

As it happens I’m a big advocate for expansion of grassroots RL in the north in places like Preston, Blackburn, Burnley and Lancaster etc over the south.

Yeah along with many on this forum I think a slow progression out of the heartlands would be better as a strategy - eg kids in Frodsham, Chester and Northwich who were doing RL at school might become fans of Widnes or Warrington, or kids in Barnsley could go to Wakey / Huddersfield. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yeah along with many on this forum I think a slow progression out of the heartlands would be better as a strategy - eg kids in Frodsham, Chester and Northwich who were doing RL at school might become fans of Widnes or Warrington, or kids in Barnsley could go to Wakey / Huddersfield. 

Exactly. Wigan could target areas like bolton, Preston and Blackburn etc. while saints could target Huyton, orsmkirk and skelmersdale etc.

Both hull clubs could target north Lincolnshire.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not every new club needs to be as successful as Wigan or Leeds. The sport would be absolutely thriving if we had loads of clubs like Hemel Stags all over the country. Liverpool, and several other cities, could just be places where that level is absolutely fine.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Not every new club needs to be as successful as Wigan or Leeds. The sport would be absolutely thriving if we had loads of clubs like Hemel Stags all over the country. Liverpool, and several other cities, could just be places where that level is absolutely fine.

RL would indeed be in rude health if we had dozens of Hemel stags and cramlington rockets spread out throughout the U.K.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Not every new club needs to be as successful as Wigan or Leeds. The sport would be absolutely thriving if we had loads of clubs like Hemel Stags all over the country. Liverpool, and several other cities, could just be places where that level is absolutely fine.

Success for rugby league in this country would be that if you move to any town or city in England and ask the question, "Where's the nearest rugby league team I can watch or play for?" that there is actually an answer.

My nearest team is ... I have no idea ... there isn't one within an hour's drive in any direction. And that;s a change from when I moved here when there were a couple of sides sort of hanging on.

A couple of solid amateur sides that last the distance in Liverpool would be fantastic. 

  • Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Success for rugby league in this country would be that if you move to any town or city in England and ask the question, "Where's the nearest rugby league team I can watch or play for?" that there is actually an answer.

My nearest team is ... I have no idea ... there isn't one within an hour's drive in any direction. And that;s a change from when I moved here when there were a couple of sides sort of hanging on.

A couple of solid amateur sides that last the distance in Liverpool would be fantastic. 

Isn’t there some RL grassroots activity in brighton&hove?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Tony Angelino said:

Isn’t there some RL grassroots activity in brighton&hove?

There is but, and this does surprise some people, it's over an hour's drive from here. Sussex is a surprisingly big place with some surprisingly rubbish roads.

EDIT

So there's a decent chance that *if* there is a team playing on the outer edge of south London/M25 border then they'd be closer.

Edited by gingerjon

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tony Angelino said:

Called the marlins?

Sussex marlins?

This is a Liverpool thread so any more and you should start another one but the Marlins folded a few years back. There is a Brighton & Hove set-up that's a year or so old. I'm not sure they've played a competitive game yet.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...