Ryan MacDonald

Wakefield Ram

16 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Saw this on the Main Forum and member of our 2000 Grand Final winning team Ryan MacDonald has dementia. Scroll down the article.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10133477/amp/Rugby-Leagues-dementia-crisis-Bobbie-Goulding-former-pros-open-diagnoses.html?__twitter_impression=true

Sad for the lad but he also was a bouncer and enjoyed a good scrap, will be difficult to prove its down to playing RL I would have thought from a legal angle🤔

And as for Bobby Goulding

I thought he was brain damaged when he was a player the way he throw punches at every opportunity 🤔

Fingers crossed for the players suffering that they get at least something for playing the worlds greatest game 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Very sad and I trust that the RFL are well on with this.

I can't help being paranoid though when I see the press coverage that this has generated when there is another "class action" type of suit being pursued on behalf of 175 RU players yet no word in the same press.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

If you found out you had a fatal disease resulting from a job you did 20 years ago, would you take legal action against your former employer? Miners did with emphysema, workers did with asbestosis, so why is it different for former pro RL players? They will have their lives shortened by decades with a cruel illness and leave their families far worse off. Would you just say "ah well, never mind"? We are fans, this was paid employment for them. 

Archived