Jump to content

TV presentation of Rugby league - new ideas


Recommended Posts

On 28/11/2021 at 10:52, snoopdog said:

Hopefully C4 employ tactical aware co commentary, someone who can see plays in advance and can breakdown in layman's terms how tries have been scored etc. 

Listening to Andrew John's, Peter Sterling , Gus Gould is at times a coaching masterclass. 

If you watch any of the NFL on a sunday night they sometimes have Tony Romo commentating.. he starts telling you the next 3 plays that the offensive co-ordinator will call because he can see the game so well and because the game is quite slow he gets a chance to describe why he would do it and what may change (ie one of the plays gets a first down so you would change the next play to a running play, or some such).. its really interesting especially when they call something different and it doesnt come off he gets quite peeved. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 29/11/2021 at 22:14, Man of Kent said:

Get Sam Burgess to get Russell Crowe to do a Channel 4 promo ahead of the Leeds vs Wire game. 

Russell Crowe could do a promo advert for the game (and for nowt) coming to channel4 - something really good - to be shown during the ad breaks of other ch4 shows - it wouldn't be much to ask and wouldn't take too much of his time- if he loves the game he should jump at the golden chance to promote it in to as many living rooms as possible like any true rl fan would 

  • Like 1

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, RP London said:

If you watch any of the NFL on a sunday night they sometimes have Tony Romo commentating.. he starts telling you the next 3 plays that the offensive co-ordinator will call because he can see the game so well and because the game is quite slow he gets a chance to describe why he would do it and what may change (ie one of the plays gets a first down so you would change the next play to a running play, or some such).. its really interesting especially when they call something different and it doesnt come off he gets quite peeved. 

Yes , but he gets 3/4 minutes to think about it while the adverts roll 

NFL running plays = 5 drives and a kick 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , but he gets 3/4 minutes to think about it while the adverts roll 

NFL running plays = 5 drives and a kick 

Thats not quite true, sadly that exact derogatory way of looking at a game is exactly what you hear from many Union followers towards League. 

Romo will see how a defence is set up and tell you exactly what the Quarter Back should do (ie what he as a hall of famer and Super Bowl Winner would do) but also tell you the play that he expects the QB to make due to the OC's style of play. They have 30 seconds to start the play so he is processing 2 plays (probably more, and ruling them out) in his head while this is going on, he will then analyse both what he would have done and what actually happened straight afterwards. 

Yes it can be a slow game, yes there are a lot of ad breaks, but that does not then take away from the fact that that sort of commentary is fascinating and eye opening. Shows also the difference between a great and many of those involved. 

The amount of times i hear, at union clubs/pubs, that League is just "touch and pass", "5 drives and a kick" and that there is nothing tactical its just attrition.. is what we need to get rid of on FTA tv. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RP London said:

The amount of times i hear, at union clubs/pubs, that League is just "touch and pass", "5 drives and a kick" and that there is nothing tactical its just attrition.. is what we need to get rid of on FTA tv. 

Before that is eliminated, we need to take that out of the coaches game plan.

However, every set of 6 can't have 6 set plays in it, so we are a little tied in what we can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, davet said:

Before that is eliminated, we need to take that out of the coaches game plan.

However, every set of 6 can't have 6 set plays in it, so we are a little tied in what we can do.

I disagree. It is rarely just 5 drives and a kick, those drives mean something, they are setting you up for something, setting the ground work, getting you out of your own half. They are exactly the same as the 20 phases of play near an opposition line that Union have. If explained well, if shown properly etc I dont think we would have the issues we do now. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...