Why do RL coaches watch from the stand

Coaches have laptops and have real time info to players GPS, like F1 this helps decision making with substitutions (pit stops) etc. They can also see right across the pitch to see plays of the opponents and how they are set up to then make tactical changes to their team.

On 21/02/2022 at 11:52, Tommygilf said:

I think its a perspective/vantage point thing.

It is. You are right.

View of the field, shape, structures, defence etc is far better from the elevated position.

Additionally, it means you can watch on the laptop as well as the field. Team I worked with had the game streaming on a 10 second delay, so we could refer back to the screen to see what actually happened in any given incident.

How on earth can a coach be sure about the opposition's defensive alignment for example (are they on outside shoulder, or square on?) if he is down at ground level. The perspective from the stand is far superior. 

A third point is the "overcoaching" scenario that we see in football. A manager screaming at his centre back to "get tight" or "clear it" or whatever ... As if he is adding to the team's performance by screaming at them. In Rugby League, coaches tend to trust their players that the coaching is done by the time kickoff arrives. 

Because in RL there is are two lines of players, the coach sends a message to a water carrier who run behind the lines to deliver it without risk of interfering with play.

In football, every part of the field is in play you can’t have water carriers run in in on during the game. So while being high up in a soccer match would give a better perspective, he could do nothing about what he sees. So he stands on the sideline releasing tension rather than squirming helplessly in a seat. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

48 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Because in RL there is are two lines of players, the coach sends a message to a water carrier who run behind the lines to deliver it without risk of interfering with play.

In football, every part of the field is in play you can’t have water carriers run in in on during the game. So while being high up in a soccer match would give a better perspective, he could do nothing about what he sees. So he stands on the sideline releasing tension rather than squirming helplessly in a seat. 

What part of the field is not in play in RL. 

I thought it was blatantly obvious why soccer coaches stand on the touchline and why sitting in the stand wouldn't work. If it did work they'd do it because of the huge pressure and money involved,  if it was viable to sit and bark orders via phone it would happen. 

The difference is the " immediacy " of the plays in football. By the time a coach in the stand tells the other guy at the end of the line what he wants it's too late. Even if that's just 10 seconds,  far too late.

Antonio Contè on Saturday absolutely masterminded that Spurs win over Man City. He conducted the play, at every play he got the players in position, he saw City's tactics at every play, what they were trying and countered it. Anyone who thinks Contè or Klopp or Pep Guardiola don't contribute anything on the sidelines hasn't watched these guys carefully. 

28 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

What part of the field is not in play in RL. 

Physios and trainers run on the pitch in RL proving even though all the pitch is in play, but not necessarily active. The plays in RL are built up and unfold giving a coach in the stand a bit more time to get his message to players via an intermediary. As I said above it's all too immediate in football,  it just wouldn't work, which is why banning a coach from the touchline in football is punishment. 

20 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Physios and trainers run on the pitch in RL proving even though all the pitch is in play, but not necessarily active. The plays in RL are built up and unfold giving a coach in the stand a bit more time to get his message to players via an intermediary. As I said above it's all too immediate in football,  it just wouldn't work, which is why banning a coach from the touchline in football is punishment. 

I don’t think they should be on there’s absolutely no need for them to come on in play. 

Archived